cleaning air filter

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ok guys, I searched and didn't find anything, quickly. How does everyone clean the air filter on their tractor. I know blowing air into it will sometimes pack the dirt in tighter. Is there an air filter cleaning solution that works? Just soap and water? Spray with degreaser and wash out then let it dry? If they weren't $70+ I wouldn't try cleaning it. I've seen a lot of cheep air filters on line, but don't really want to take a chance on letting dirt destroy my engine because the filter didn't do it's job.
I blow air filter elements out from the inside anually.

Shop vac on the outside also helps.

Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Perhaps the BEST way to extend air-filter life while also maintaning engine-proteciton is to use
Filter-Minder.

In that way, you are MEASURING how much 'pluggage' is in the filter and replacing it once it is used up.
You get the best of both worlds.... no guessing on filter-life and NEW filter for engine each time it is changed.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Infield dirt, from dragging ball fields. It’s the consistency of baby powder.
I have to wonder what the engine oil is like with that stuff being sucked into the engine. :oops:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Perhaps the BEST way to extend air-filter life while also maintaning engine-proteciton is to use
Filter-Minder.

In that way, you are MEASURING how much 'pluggage' is in the filter and replacing it once it is used up.
You get the best of both worlds.... no guessing on filter-life and NEW filter for engine each time it is changed.
Those are helpful but not perfect. You have to know the maximum allowable restriction defined by the engine manufacturer. Also, NA diesels can only be measured accurately at max RPM under no load. A rule of thumb is 15" and would be a safe bet.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
That is on a John Deere 1200A bunker rake. We use them to prep our ballfields.
Almost nothing should pass thru the filter, you have a serious problem with the filter assembly. Either the filter media is compromised or the housing has a problem. I would bet that considerable engine life has been lost.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have to wonder what the engine oil is like with that stuff being sucked into the engine. :oops:
Oil actually wasn’t terrible. I did hose down the intake stem while carb was in the ultrasonic. It was covered in dirt also. Spark screen in muffler was clear, which I found a bit odd.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Almost nothing should pass thru the filter, you have a serious problem with the filter assembly. Either the filter media is compromised or the housing has a problem. I would bet that considerable engine life has been lost.
You are probably correct. I’d bet the last guy to knock/blow the filter out, didn’t put it back on correctly, clamp the lid right or something. Everything looked ok when I was disassembling, so who knows.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You will know in a few hundred hours when the engine starts to burn oil. From the look of the carburetor, there is no way that the engine didn't digest a lot of that dust, which will act like sandpaper on the cylinder walls.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
You will know in a few hundred hours when the engine starts to burn oil. From the look of the carburetor, there is no way that the engine didn't digest a lot of that dust, which will act like sandpaper on the cylinder walls.
I agree. I'm just the messenger/part swapper.

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Oil actually wasn’t terrible. I did hose down the intake stem while carb was in the ultrasonic. It was covered in dirt also. Spark screen in muffler was clear, which I found a bit odd.
I've run a K&N oiled cotton filter on my Jeep TJ for many, many years and sometimes wonder if that was a good decision. I check the oil regularly when I'm using it and it barely consumes a drop between oil changes. I ended up buying a K&N "sock" to slip over the conical air filter in the summer months due to the road below me generating a lot of dust (until it's treated with MgCl) and the dusty conditions on some of the trails I go on. Perhaps more money down the drain for a couple of extra hp based on a good marketing campaign.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
K&N "filters" are absolute junk, they have no place on any engine, especially a tractor.

1674661428007.png