cleaning air filter

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Ok guys, I searched and didn't find anything, quickly. How does everyone clean the air filter on their tractor. I know blowing air into it will sometimes pack the dirt in tighter. Is there an air filter cleaning solution that works? Just soap and water? Spray with degreaser and wash out then let it dry? If they weren't $70+ I wouldn't try cleaning it. I've seen a lot of cheep air filters on line, but don't really want to take a chance on letting dirt destroy my engine because the filter didn't do it's job.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just replace mine. Guaranteed result that way...regardless of the cost, if the air cleaner is not designed to be self cleaned, I doubt there is an option that is likely to be successful in the real world. Might feel good though...LOL

Edit: I only use OEM replacements. Cheap after market replacements likely give back what you pay for them.

Dennis.D

Equipment
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
How often do you replace it. I service my tractor every year, which is 100 to 150 hrs. The filter is very dusty when I do this. I too use all Kubota filters and oil, except the 15W40 Rotella synthetic. I'd use Kubota synthetic if they offered it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How often do you replace it. I service my tractor every year, which is 100 to 150 hrs. The filter is very dusty when I do this. I too use all Kubota filters and oil, except the 15W40 Rotella synthetic. I'd use Kubota synthetic if they offered it.
I blow out the outer air filters regularly on both tractors and follow the recommended intervals for replacement. I leave the inner filter alone but use a wand and compressed air to blow as much dust and dirt off the outer filter as possible, and as often as I feel necessary which changes depending on winter vs. summer use.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a $60k tractor with a $10K engine in it.
I wouldn't risk cleaning the filter, Other than blowing the dust off!

If you want to, use low pressure air flow from the inside to the outside.
You can use a compressor just turn the pressure down.
Tapping the sides of the filter while blowing will clear off the dust.
No water, No cleaners.

You can get an quality aftermarket filter, but like i said it's a $10k engine.

Or open box deals:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175500922681

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
No water, No cleaners.
Exactly! It takes all of 30 seconds to raise the hood, remove the air filter housing, remove the outer filter and start blowing compressed air from the inside out. I like the wand attachment that I have which is 18" long but I plan on threading the end and adding a plug to divert the air 90 degrees. :) You can buy them set up that way already but I wanted one that I could use for different applications. I should probably just buy a 90 degree version and have two. Duh!

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If you want to try blowing it out. I would use a cordless blower, low pressure and high volume. But I am with Wolfman, just replace it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's a $60k tractor with a $10K engine in it.
I wouldn't risk cleaning the filter, Other than blowing the dust off!

No water, No cleaners.

You can get an quality aftermarket filter, but like i said it's a $10k engine.

Or open box deals:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175500922681
I do the low pressure blow out thing......from the inside of the filter.....and only one time!

Reactions: 1 user

Dennis.D

Equipment
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Thanks for the good advise. Now, I'm thinking I should just replace it yearly when I service the rest of the tractor. What's "another" $75. This is like snowmobiling. lol

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just thought about it..... if one were wanting to extend the service life of an air filter, you could get some pre-filter wrap for it. It doesn't filter as well, but it will trap bigger junk. And they are washable with soap and water.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's not just the particles of dirt that you have to think about, it is the resistance to airflow that will make one of these newer engines unhappy. Seems like there are sensors every where on the commonrail engines and dpf filter setups.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's not just the particles of dirt that you have to think about, it is the resistance to airflow that will make one of these newer engines unhappy. Seems like there are sensors every where on the commonrail engines and dpf filter setups.
I don't have a common rail engine, or DPF filter.
I only buy used, and don't buy machinery with anti pollution garbage hung on it.

• Dislike

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I don't have a common rail engine, or DPF filter.
I only buy used, and don't buy machinery with anti pollution garbage hung on it.
Bully for you. The op has an L60 which does have a common rail engine. They are nice engines, nice transmissions. But down side is some are hard to fix for shade tree mechanics.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Bully for you. The op has an L60 which does have a common rail engine. They are nice engines, nice transmissions. But down side is some are hard to fix for shade tree mechanics.
Two 160 mile round trips to a Kubota dealer, for even a minor engine issue, would not work for me.
Might be OK for some, but I need to fix things myself if possible.
Not everyone has a near neighbor Kubota dealer!

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Two 160 mile round trips to a Kubota dealer, for even a minor engine issue, would not work for me.
Might be OK for some, but I need to fix things myself if possible.
Not everyone has a near neighbor Kubota dealer!
That's understandable. It is the pejorative term garbage that I object to when applied to someone else's equipment.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I blow out the outer air filters regularly on both tractors and follow the recommended intervals for replacement. I leave the inner filter alone but use a wand and compressed air to blow as much dust and dirt off the outer filter as possible, and as often as I feel necessary which changes depending on winter vs. summer use.
Old Ford Flathead v-8's used toilet paper roll filters and would last a long time. As you can imagine oil having to flow thru the fine medium of a roll of toilet had to be clean at the end of the trip. VW's had no filters early on and even with the high temps of air cooling lasted a long time also. Some Land Rovers never had trans fluid changed and still going after a million miles. Wonder what the "rev your engine" guy on UTUBE would say?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's understandable. It is the pejorative term garbage that I object to when applied to someone else's equipment.

Mine was a general statement, but you apparently interpreted it as me singling out a particular individual for criticism.
I had not considered that interpretation as a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Old Ford Flathead v-8's used toilet paper roll filters and would last a long time. As you can imagine oil having to flow thru the fine medium of a roll of toilet had to be clean at the end of the trip.
I think that you will find that idiots bought kits to hold the toilet paper.

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Old Ford Flathead v-8's used toilet paper roll filters and would last a long time. As you can imagine oil having to flow thru the fine medium of a roll of toilet had to be clean at the end of the trip. VW's had no filters early on and even with the high temps of air cooling lasted a long time also. Some Land Rovers never had trans fluid changed and still going after a million miles. Wonder what the "rev your engine" guy on UTUBE would say?
I have no idea what point you're trying to make. If you're against preventative maintenance then that's your prerogative. I'll continue to remove dust and debris from the outer air filter as described in the owner's manual. It's easy, it's fast, and it's effective.

air_filter_1.jpg

air_filter_2.jpg

Last edited: