cleaning air filter

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I bought one new air filter for my tractor for the first service interval. The original filter I replaced with it got detergent washed as per manual then rinsed and dried ready for the next service.
Same with the fuel fiter. Got a second one, replaced the original which I rinsed out in kerosene, ready for the next service.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have no idea what point you're trying to make. If you're against preventative maintenance then that's your prerogative. I'll continue to remove dust and debris from the outer air filter as described in the owner's manual. It's easy, it's fast, and it's effective.

View attachment 93349

View attachment 93350
I actually make money doing preventative on marine engines. The point was that starting cold even if it is fairly warm wears engines more than filters I believe. That is one reason a number of WWII aircraft had small motors to circulate the oil before dry starting. But few want to hear this as you don't have to wait 5 minutes like the Kubota owners manual sez to do. I have a feeling that is why those engines have longevity for those of us who follow their advice. Filters make billions, that is for sure.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I don't have a common rail engine, or DPF filter.
I only buy used, and don't buy machinery with anti pollution garbage hung on it.
Two thoughts came to mind when I read reply.
1-He’s back!!!!!! (Sidecarflip)
2-It sure is helpful when folks add posts that don’t address the OP’s question in any manner.😉

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think that you will find that idiots bought kits to hold the toilet paper.
Well boys ( and girls) I'm an idiot!!!!

I have used Frantz oil filters. I would purchase TP in case lot from restaurant supply. Had an '83 Nissan Maxima diesel that I sold with 360,000 miles on and running fine.

It's a bypass filter. I left the canister factory brand oil filter in that car after I change it one time. Never changed it again. Guess I'm lucky it didn't rust, bust or break, but it was a $19 filter in 1985.

I've got a "triple stacker" (taller can that uses 3 TP rolls). It's made for buses and over the road trucks. I used it to filter drained motor oil to mix with diesel to burn in an '84 Ford diesel when fuel was $4 or so a few years back.

If you don't think those filters don't do a good job you're making an uninformed decision. If you think TP waste away like you see in your toilet oil doesn't dissolve the paper.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Two thoughts came to mind when I read reply.
1-He’s back!!!!!! (Sidecarflip)
2-It sure is helpful when folks add posts that don’t address the OP’s question in any manner.😉
Demeaning others, from a basement computer screen, is your 2023 new year resolution?

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I actually make money doing preventative on marine engines. The point was that starting cold even if it is fairly warm wears engines more than filters I believe. That is one reason a number of WWII aircraft had small motors to circulate the oil before dry starting. But few want to hear this as you don't have to wait 5 minutes like the Kubota owners manual sez to do. I have a feeling that is why those engines have longevity for those of us who follow their advice. Filters make billions, that is for sure.
Again, what does any of that have to do with taking 30 seconds to blow dust off an air filter? As for using WWII aircraft as an example, not relevant either since engines, oils and manufacturing methods have come a long way since 1945. We all know that oil is the lifeblood of a combustion engine, and keeping it clean and retaining/maintaining the beneficial mechanical/chemical properties is crucial to engine longevity. The less contaminants that get into the engine oil the better. This is why vehicles have air filters right?

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
Old Ford Flathead v-8's used toilet paper roll filters and would last a long time. As you can imagine oil having to flow thru the fine medium of a roll of toilet had to be clean at the end of the trip. VW's had no filters early on and even with the high temps of air cooling lasted a long time also. Some Land Rovers never had trans fluid changed and still going after a million miles. Wonder what the "rev your engine" guy on UTUBE would say?
Well landrovers leak a lot and theres just 1.5 litres in there. Plenty of failures due to neglect... 🤣😂

While on topic, i tend to blow airfilter and rad regularly. And swap filter yearly. I just scribble the date on the filters casing to remember the last change

Cleaning filters depends on what you do. Tilling in dry conditions requires blowing it off before next 'job' the same with hay making.

I once tried fitting a landrover oil bath filter but being too big and not so restrictive - the engine turned out being way too noisy. Oil bath filters like the ones on b7000 might be small ?

One more thing is I installed a Pre/filter to it, which through swirl currents seperates and resuces dust getting it to the filter itself. Not sure if your tractor has one already. Could extend airfilters life in your case. (?)

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Again, what does any of that have to do with taking 30 seconds to blow dust off an air filter? As for using WWII aircraft as an example, not relevant either since engines, oils and manufacturing methods have come a long way since 1945. We all know that oil is the lifeblood of a combustion engine, and keeping it clean and retaining/maintaining the beneficial mechanical/chemical properties is crucial to engine longevity. The less contaminants that get into the engine oil the better. This is why vehicles have air filters right?
Unless the dust is extreme, give me a good warm-up for long engine life. I think Scotty Kilmer on u-tube covers this too.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
That's the ticket. I need to (will) order something like that for sure.
8BBC6913-4317-4545-8F86-70B65C6475D0.png

They work well. This is an extreme example I believe. This filter was off of a JD 1200a bunker rake. We use them for dragging ballfields. The guys don’t blow them out, like ever. I was just tapping out before getting the blow gun. This came out of another unit.
99403697-DFDD-4C56-ADA0-128CF4D79887.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
View attachment 93454
They work well. This is an extreme example I believe. This filter was off of a JD 1200a bunker rake. We use them for dragging ballfields. The guys don’t blow them out, like ever. I was just tapping out before getting the blow gun. This came out of another unit.
View attachment 93457
But these guys are also known to put diesel in gas engines… at least they haven’t done it the other way… yet.
E67A55BC-0AE8-447F-AC65-59D18301C55D.jpeg

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Unless the dust is extreme, give me a good warm-up for long engine life. I think Scotty Kilmer on u-tube covers this too.
Is this an either or scenario? You can't blow out crap from the filter and let the engine warm up before subjecting it to a significant load?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Yeah. And most don't know that it's rated efficiency is 1/3 congested. Changing it too often is actually not a good thing.

I have a tractor that has a filter monitor light that comes on when the paper element element is too clogged. The paper element has a foam pre-filter that stops the large dirt particles so the only way to guess the loading of the paper is to shine a light thru it and compare to a new one. Just looking at the filter that caused the light one might think that it was fine.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Ok guys, I searched and didn't find anything, quickly. How does everyone clean the air filter on their tractor. I know blowing air into it will sometimes pack the dirt in tighter. Is there an air filter cleaning solution that works? Just soap and water? Spray with degreaser and wash out then let it dry? If they weren't $70+ I wouldn't try cleaning it. I've seen a lot of cheep air filters on line, but don't really want to take a chance on letting dirt destroy my engine because the filter didn't do it's job.
We do a lot of hay. I use this at least once a week during hay season. Works great.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...klwIX3Y6NEkBDsRbM7EaAt1AEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have a tractor that has a filter monitor light that comes on when the paper element element is too clogged. The paper element has a foam pre-filter that stops the large dirt particles so the only way to guess the loading of the paper is to shine a light thru it and compare to a new one. Just looking at the filter that caused the light one might think that it was fine.
If you haven't already, make sure that filter light is for maintenance reasons and not to tell you it's clogged up. My truck has an indicator for the air filter. After checking the pressure delta across it, I found it is way too high for a service interval. It's a "change your filter, idiot" indicator.