B7100 hydraulic problems on FEL

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I checked all 4 cylinders this is my report...

Bucket cyl right side would cycle in and out couldn’t move by hand.
Bucket cyl left side would cycle in and out but I could move it by hand
Boom cyl right side would cycle in and out but I could move it by hand
Boom cyl left side would cycle out but wouldn’t cycle back in and I could move it by hand

so I guess I have 3 bad cylinders??
Sounds like the seals may he bad in them but the loader should still raise and lower with those boom cylinders.

I think you should try what I suggested in my previous post.

Dan

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
No. But based on your description the boom cylinders should still raise and lower the loader.

Dan
Boom cylinder on the right side would cycle in and out but I could move the cyl with my hand in and out by hand and left side cylinder would cycle out but wouldn’t cycle in and I could also move it in and out by hand. In other words I could physically grab the end of the rod on the cylinder and push it in and out. There was only one bucket cylinder I couldn’t do that to.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Boom cylinder on the right side would cycle in and out but I could move the cyl with my hand in and out by hand and left side cylinder would cycle out but wouldn’t cycle in and I could also move it in and out by hand. In other words I could physically grab the end of the rod on the cylinder and push it in and out. There was only one bucket cylinder I couldn’t do that to.
I got that. So what do you want to do?

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well I’m guessing I need to purchase or rebuild cylinders?
Yes you are guessing. Might be a good guess but I an surprised the cylinders cant generate enough force to at least raise the boom. That would be a pretty massive seal failure on both.

What were you told when you purchased the loader?

Dan

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
Yes you are guessing. Might be a good guess but I an surprised the cylinders cant generate enough force to at least raise the boom. That would be a pretty massive seal failure on both.

What were you told when you purchased the loader?

Dan
The guy I bought the loader from bought it at a auction just for the bucket but couldn’t use it so he never hooked it up but he told me that it was on a yanmar tractor so visual looking at it all looked good. They are all 4 the same length cylinders identical to each other

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The guy I bought the loader from bought it at a auction just for the bucket but couldn’t use it so he never hooked it up but he told me that it was on a yanmar tractor so visual looking at it all looked good. They are all 4 the same length cylinders identical to each other
How much money are you prepared to spend? You could buy two new cylinders for about $300-$400 and see what that gets you. Or you could take the old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuilt. Good chance that will cost you almost as much as new ones.

Dan

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
How much money are you prepared to spend? You could buy two new cylinders for about $300-$400 and see what that gets you. Or you could take the old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuilt. Good chance that will cost you almost as much as new ones.

Dan
Well whatever it takes It will be fixed at this point lol too much work invested in it. I’m pretty handy with tools just not well knowledgeable on hydraulics and plumbing so I was thinking of pricing a rebuild kit for the cylinders after I take them apart tomorrow to see how bad they are. The walls may be scarred beyond repair.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well whatever it takes It will be fixed at this point lol too much work invested in it. I’m pretty handy with tools just not well knowledgeable on hydraulics and plumbing so I was thinking of pricing a rebuild kit for the cylinders after I take them apart tomorrow to see how bad they are. The walls may be scarred beyond repair.
That's a distinct possibility. I recently replaced all 4 cylinders on a similar Kubota loader. At the time that was about $600 and I considered it money well spent.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
That's a distinct possibility. I recently replaced all 4 cylinders on a similar Kubota loader. At the time that was about $600 and I considered it money well spent.

Dan
Yes a loader is worth it’s weight in gold. By the way I just want to say this is a awesome forum website. I have googled lots of things on tractors and y’all’s post would come up and I would look at different topics but just the other day I signed up and will probably upgrade to lifetime member because y’all have a awesome thing here with lots of helpful information and very responsive to questions and such. I appreciate you all for having this.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes a loader is worth it’s weight in gold. By the way I just want to say this is a awesome forum website. I have googled lots of things on tractors and y’all’s post would come up and I would look at different topics but just the other day I signed up and will probably upgrade to lifetime member because y’all have a awesome thing here with lots of helpful information and very responsive to questions and such. I appreciate you all for having this.
When you get the cylinders fixed add that power beyond sleeve and a tank return line to your valve.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
QUOTE="Arkubota, post: 569585, member: 53840"]
[/QUOTE]
I suggest that you figure out how to get it hooked up on the tractor before you spend time away with cylinder repair.

Have you mounted the cylinder and moved the loader as requested?

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
FEL are definitely invaluable. I bought my well-used B7100D with a FEL about a year ago for $4300, the going rate. But now, the going rates is 2x! Inflation perhaps, I don’t know, just glad I bought mine when I did, even though I have about $1000 extra into it.

and like you discovered, this forum is the best!

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
QUOTE="Arkubota, post: 569585, member: 53840"]
I suggest that you figure out how to get it hooked up on the tractor before you spend time away with cylinder repair.

Have you mounted the cylinder and moved the loader as requested?
[/QUOTE]
It is hooked up exactly as the diagram was shown. The cylinders are bad they are bypassing and not allowing pressure to build up to move the cylinders. Only 1 cylinder of the 4 would work correctly and hold pressure.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It is hooked up exactly as the diagram was shown. The cylinders are bad they are bypassing and not allowing pressure to build up to move the cylinders. Only 1 cylinder of the 4 would work correctly and hold pressure.
You can verify that with a simple test.
  1. Remount the lift cylinders and connect the base ends to the UP port on the control valve.
  2. DO NOT connect the rod ends. Instead put pipe plugs in the rod end ports on both cylinders. That effectively turns them into single acting displacement cylinders.
  3. Run a hose from the loader rod end port on the control valve to the hydraulic filler on the transmission. This provides a path for the down pressure oil flow that the valve will generate. DO NOT plug the port - that will deadhead the valve when you lower the loader
Now make sure the return hose is securely installed in the filler opening, start the tractor, and run the loader up and down. It should operate normally except you will not have any down pressure on the lift arms.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
FEL are definitely invaluable. I bought my well-used B7100D with a FEL about a year ago for $4300, the going rate. But now, the going rates is 2x! Inflation perhaps, I don’t know, just glad I bought mine when I did, even though I have about $1000 extra into it.

and like you discovered, this forum is the best!
I had a b6100 with a kubota tiller and bushhog and even a finish mower it was a good tractor. I sold it and bought a b7100 with a 4 way hydraulic front blade the rear pto didn’t work so I rebuilt it which involved bearings and 2 new gears which the gears were hard to find. Bought this front end loader a few weeks ago got it mounted to my tractor and I thought that would be the hardest part to the job but the hydraulics have turned out to be the pain in the rear.

Arkubota

Equipment
B7100
Jul 30, 2022
Arkansas
You can verify that with a simple test.
  1. Remount the lift cylinders and connect the base ends to the UP port on the control valve.
  2. DO NOT connect the rod ends. Instead put pipe plugs in the rod end ports on both cylinders. That effectively turns them into single acting displacement cylinders.
  3. Run a hose from the loader rod end port on the control valve to the hydraulic filler on the transmission. This provides a path for the down pressure oil flow that the valve will generate. DO NOT plug the port - that will deadhead the valve when you lower the loader
Now make sure the return hose is securely installed in the filler opening, start the tractor, and run the loader up and down. It should operate normally except you will not have any down pressure on the lift arms.

Dan
I will do that if I can find enough hoses to reach back to the fill port. Another note I will add is the 1 cylinder that is good I could extend it and retract both ways till it bottom out and it would change the rpms of the engine . The other cylinders would not change the engine rpms.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
I had a b6100 with a kubota tiller and bushhog and even a finish mower it was a good tractor. I sold it and bought a b7100 with a 4 way hydraulic front blade the rear pto didn’t work so I rebuilt it which involved bearings and 2 new gears which the gears were hard to find. Bought this front end loader a few weeks ago got it mounted to my tractor and I thought that would be the hardest part to the job but the hydraulics have turned out to be the pain in the rear.
I believe mine sat for years. In Florida, that’s a no-no. I don’t think the previous owner did very much maintenance. The oil was extremely dark, the hyd fluid was white, and the motor leaked everywhere. The clutch went out on me after day two, which I replaced but clearly did something wrong. While apart, I oulled the motor and replaced several gaskets and adjusted the valves. The injectors and injection pump were badly corroded and didn’t function. I replaced most of the hydraulic hoses plus the controller (Dan helped me with that too). Now the motor runs great and the FEL as well….just need to figure out the clutch.

My justification for putting more money into it was I knew I was getting closer to stopping the bleeding. Plus, affordable Compact tractors with FEls are suddenly rare here.

Used parts are hard to find, but another forum member that lives an hour away has the back half of a B7100D gear driven. Gonna pick it up this weekend for a good price!

Good luck with your FEL!