New Tractor 5 acres

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Here's a good comparison of a BX and a heavier machine tackling a stump.

Makes me wonder if my hydraulic pressure is low, because he seems to have more power than I do.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I think you are right I just thought the flail would be easier to manuver but if its that expensive prob not worth it

for skidding i was thinking just a chain maybe something i can lift the front of the log something on the 3point i can lift the front.. IDK ive never done it but I will figure it out.. no winch

and yes i can just go rent a stump grinder think that makes more sense unless i can go make money with it.

and yes big wheels = better
For skidding logs, buy a choker cable. That’s what loggers use. Connect it to your drawbar with a clevis loop.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The B or LX will do all that you need. The LX will give you a bit more weight and “comfort”. The L will give even more weight but sacrifice some nimbleness. Sit on and test drive them all to see which feels best for you…….remember you may be on it for many hours straight so comfort and ergonomics is important.

The higher horsepower machines will only be a benefit for your pto work. All of the ground engagement and loader work will be virtually the same as the lower horsepower counterpart. Is the added emissions and expense worth it? Up to you.

Any of what you listed will handle your chores. Happy shopping!
The L2501 would be more stable for woods work. You will value stability over horse power once you start using tractors.

Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You will use a bigger tractor every time you turn the key, but you will seldom use a BH to make it make sense financially, IMO.
Truth. That's what pushed me to the L from a B23S (I think that was the model. For the few BH projects I want to do, I can rent a Mini Ex for a fraction of the cost.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
My L2501 fits in most places in the forest on my property. If the tractor doesn’t fit and I need it to, I remove a tree.

Mike

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have some tight spots I wouldn’t be able to get to in my wooded areas with an L series. It’s all tradeoffs.
Sounds like your woods needs thinning.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The opinion of another internet expert that I didn’t ask for, want or need.
I am a professional forester. Take or leave the free advice. If you cannot get a 5 foot wide machine in between trees, your forest is seriously overstocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The opinion of another internet expert that I didn’t ask for, want or need.

If you post on a public forum, responses to your post come with the package. That's how forums work.

Kitchens are sometimes hot. Enter at your own risk.

• Haha

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I am a professional forester. Take or leave the free advice. If you cannot get a 5 foot wide machine in between trees, your forest is seriously overstocked.
Professional forester and/or internet busy body I don’t care.

I said nothing about getting “a 5 foot tractor in between trees”. I said “tight spots in wooded areas”. See the difference?

Much more comes into play maneuvering through a forest than JUST the spacing of trees…….rocks, roots, grading, standing water, plant life, wildlife, willingness to scrape equipment, attached implements, experience, soft soil, low branches, etc.

Hammarhead

Equipment
L2501
Apr 24, 2022
Ohio
I am in complete analysis paralyses over picking my first tractor.

I have 5 acres wooded besides about an acre cleared around the house.

I want to clean up the woods and slowly clear it out a bit. After I get room cleared I will have a large garden.

a few things I think I will do
Skid logs out of woods
Grapple
Rake woods floor
Grind stumps
Flail mower brush
.5 acre garden
Spay lawn
Mulch
Till
compost pile
Build fence
Build small RC car track (don’t judge)

when it’s cleared out a bit is when I will garden and build the track

I am going back and forth on the size I need from the b2601,lx2610 or 3302/3902

I wanted a backhoe at first but after reading stuff online I might skip it

also I want tractor seat time so don’t mind extra hours to accomplish

thank you for any advice you can give since I’m am stuck in this rabbit hole.
A rabbit hole is a good observation, it's pretty easy to talk yourself (or be talked into) into much more machine and many more implements than you actually will need or regularly use. Keep in mind that after your initial projects are completed the tractor and tooling is something that will probably spend considerable time sitting idle.

As reference I operate a vegetable market garden and small beef cattle operation using several different pieces of equipment. I recently downsized my tractor from an older Farmall 300 to a Kubota L2501 as the Farmall was too large to get enough use here. The L2501 is much better suited to perform the tasks required of a tractor for me. That being said, most everything here is done by using either a BCS two-wheel tractor or a four-wheeler. The L2501 is relegated mostly to FEL work, grading, moving round bales and any jobs requiring a substantial amount of traction (a task the BCS is not good for). The smaller equipment just seems to be more convenient and handier many times than a tractor would be.

From your list of objectives, most of the above projects can be performed using a large lawn & garden tractor and/or an ATV/UTV. If the task required is too large, either break it down further so your available equipment can handle the task, consider rental equipment or just pay someone else to do it. For example, skid logs that are appropriately sized to your machine. If their too large, cut them up further so you can haul them out or cut and split in the woods. With five acres you will run out of property much faster than you think.

As with everything else on forums, my opinion is based off what has worked for me. Your mileage may vary. Personally, I have never understood the need to expend a large capital investment into something that spends much time sitting in the barn. If you can or just want a new toy, then that's another story altogether. Best of luck with whatever you decide on and congratulations on the property. It looks like a great place to live.

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
A rabbit hole is a good observation, it's pretty easy to talk yourself (or be talked into) into much more machine and many more implements than you actually will need or regularly use. Keep in mind that after your initial projects are completed the tractor and tooling is something that will probably spend considerable time sitting idle.

As reference I operate a vegetable market garden and small beef cattle operation using several different pieces of equipment. I recently downsized my tractor from an older Farmall 300 to a Kubota L2501 as the Farmall was too large to get enough use here. The L2501 is much better suited to perform the tasks required of a tractor for me. That being said, most everything here is done by using either a BCS two-wheel tractor or a four-wheeler. The L2501 is relegated mostly to FEL work, grading, moving round bales and any jobs requiring a substantial amount of traction (a task the BCS is not good for). The smaller equipment just seems to be more convenient and handier many times than a tractor would be.

From your list of objectives, most of the above projects can be performed using a large lawn & garden tractor and/or an ATV/UTV. If the task required is too large, either break it down further so your available equipment can handle the task, consider rental equipment or just pay someone else to do it. For example, skid logs that are appropriately sized to your machine. If their too large, cut them up further so you can haul them out or cut and split in the woods. With five acres you will run out of property much faster than you think.

As with everything else on forums, my opinion is based off what has worked for me. Your mileage may vary. Personally, I have never understood the need to expend a large capital investment into something that spends much time sitting in the barn. If you can or just want a new toy, then that's another story altogether. Best of luck with whatever you decide on and congratulations on the property. It looks like a great place to live.
I get this 100% and now I am going to be honest to all the good people of this great forum. I am pretty resourceful and could do as you said which a smart business man would. Worry about ROI and all that stuff like I do for my job. However... here it is

Ive liked tractors since I was a kid and I just never grew out of it... I have been working just to get to a place in life in which i had room to have a tractor.. I wanted more land than i have now but needed fiber internet for my job .. I play farming simulator ... FARMING SIMULATOR..

All that to say .. its a toy!! dont tell the wife because the powerpoint i showed her states no where its a toy.

• Love

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada

for 17-18yrs I "skidded logs' with my TG1860 diesel lawn tractor with tire chains. That things' engine is only 100cc's (or something) smaller and 4-5hp lesser than a BX's engine and has some serious grunt. (It's not a real tractor though. No FEL, no 3PH, only 2WD). I moved fully laden utility trailers around my (flat) yard and even pulled broken-down cars or other heavy stuff around my driveway a time or two.

I agree completely with the part that I bolded in from Hammarhead.

If you like seat time and making it in between trees on your small acreage, maybe going a little bit smaller is in your best interest?

HTH.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I'm in mid Michigan so my needs might be a bit different. But I have 10 acres with not quite 1/2 of it covered with dense woods. I had a B7510 but it was too small for the tasks of moving downed trees to the burn pile. I got last fall a LX2610HST (ended up being about $600 more out the door than a LX2610SU).
I did not get the cab because of the fear of breaking cab glass in the woods. A Std L is too big for getting around in woods. I do have 2 rear remotes as well as the 3rd function and an EA grapple. For tires I got the oversize R4 tires filled with beet juice (RimGuard). Tractor weights 3,555 pounds with a cheape Tarter 6' back blade. I use the Woodland Mills WG24 stump grinder with great results.
I chose the 2610 because for me it had enough PTO power and I saw no need to pay the extra for the 3310 and deal with the DPF emissions stuff.
PXL_20220315_232701441.jpg
PXL_20220507_173906546.jpg
PXL_20220507_173906546.jpg

Attachments

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
If i had 5 acres like that it would be LX with cab. On my 1.5 the bx works great, and i have done jobs all over with it in places that bigger tractors cant go; however, when i get my next property i will be likely trading this one in on an LX and hopefully getting a mini-x.
You are exactly right, my son was amazed at the progress with the BX but wanted to do more and faster so he bought a U-17 mini-X. Now he is getting calls to do all kinds of digging for others. I guess that is how it works.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
This is great .. I had no clue!!
thats a big discount
Big discount for sure. However, I don't believe you can combine Kubota Financing with the Equine Discount. You'll have to get outside financing if you aren't paying cash. Please check with your dealer.

Mike