New Tractor 5 acres

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
You are right no MMM later i might get a three point or just a zero turn, if I need a snowblower something is really off and its end of days type stuff.

I think getting around and between the trees was my main concern but its not that thick.
I liked the 3302 and 3902 but they wanted 30k and 32k with a loader at my local bota dealer which seems out of this world. thats before the third function or any rear scvs.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have an LX 2610 SU, and I would think that it is the best value for your tasks (since you do not want/need a cab or mid-PTO). The LX SU comes standard with the large tires (pretty sure same size as the L2501), and this feature helps with traction and stability. I found the LX SU to be more comfortable/ergonomic, especially with the loader stick at your hip. Also when I purchased, the LX SU was about $2K less than the L2501. You can see what implements/attachments I have in my signature.

If you want to keep your costs down, you should consider a rotary cutter instead of a flail mower. A flail will not do as well as a rotary cutter with brush, especially if you have knives on the flail. If you put hammers on the flail, it will reduce the flail's improved cut on grass, and it still will not handle brush as well as a rotary cutter. FWIW, I have both a rotary cutter and a finish mower. The finish mower gives a great cut, but the rotary cutter is not that far behind mowing short grass (the kind I would cut with the finish mower).

If you have not seen these Messick's videos, give them a view.

Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I vote LX for the creature comforts that come standard and the maneuverability in the woods vs. the L. If you plan on chipping, brush hogging, or stump grinding, look at the LX3310 for the increased PTO power. The LX2610 will accomplish those tasks but not as efficiently or at a higher capacity. The LX loader and hp has been more than sufficient for my needs so far (infrequent PTO use and more frequent loader use) but your needs may vary.

Whatever you decide, grab some pallet forks, they are one of the best multipurpose implements you can get.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Honestly, looking at your property a BX could probably work.

But, tasks would take a long time, they have very little ground clearance, and are prone to damage underneath from brush, etc.

I think a B, LX, or small L would be better suited.

I get a lot of work from my BX all 4 seasons, but I sometimes lament not going to a larger tractor years ago.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll put in my 5c. You're budget constrained, so unless the wife's $500 a month is approximate only, probably not going to hit the L series.

You want to go as large as you can as some of the jobs you have would benefit from a bit more weight and power. I think the L3302 would be ideal, but it's out of your price range really, and it's probably luxury to have a machine that big rather than a necessity.

So you're down to B or LX. Both will do the job, the LX will do it a bit better. If you definitely don't need a mid PTO, the LX SU seems like the right machine - it costs only a little more than a B, and you're not giving up anything you need in terms of features. They look pretty cool with the big wheels too.

Then it's down to being cost effective on implements:
  • rotary cutter quite a bit cheaper than a flail, does mostly the same job (you give up a bit of finish mowing capability, but you probably wouldn't finish mow with a flail anyway)
  • grapple + third function is expensive, but for what you describe I think you'd benefit from it. I'd try to keep this in your build if you can
  • BH is too expensive for the value you get, it's again a luxury purchase not a head purchase. You won't hit your budget with a BH unless you go all the way down to a BX, and a BX ground clearance is too limited for your tasks
  • what will you use to skid logs? A winch, or just some chains etc? I've never skidded logs, so not sure what you need to buy there
  • chippers aren't cheap, but I love my chipper. I got a cheap Chinese knockoff, and it works fine. But name brand chippers are expensive in my part of the world, perhaps less so for you
  • stump grinders sound like something you'd rent when you have a stack of stumps ready to go, rather than something you'd buy. Unless you can get one cheaply second hand

Reactions: 2 users

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
I think you are right I just thought the flail would be easier to manuver but if its that expensive prob not worth it

for skidding i was thinking just a chain maybe something i can lift the front of the log something on the 3point i can lift the front.. IDK ive never done it but I will figure it out.. no winch

and yes i can just go rent a stump grinder think that makes more sense unless i can go make money with it.

and yes big wheels = better

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Your land is pretty level, so I don't see any log skidding needed. Just cut to whatever length you need, throw them on pallet forks and haul to where you need. It doesn't look dense enough to prevent driving around in the woods. If a spot is too dense, throw a chain on the log and drag it to a more open spot, then cut to length and haul.

I also agree with some others that a grapple would be an expensive luxury, I don't see anything in the pics that forks couldn't haul off. Personally I wouldn't get a chipper either, you have plenty of burn pile space.

Nice place, enjoy it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
I think if you're not using a winch for skidding, you get one of those arches so you can drag it, rather than lifting on 3ph. Google threw up these links:

The middle one is a 3ph attachment that looks pretty good actually, and cheap.
oh that is awesome that would be perfect I think
Thank you!!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
That is a great point i guess i can add a grapple later if I feel like i really need it .. they are very costly
And with forks there's no need for added front hydraulics. The added circuit and controls for the grapple are also costly, though multi-purpose.

My B2650 (LX2610 predecessor equiv) with SSQA loader and adjustable 42" 2,000 lb pallet forks does all I need in the 100+ acres of mature forest here. The forks spend the most time by far on the loader.

My WC68 chipper also kept busy. There's your mulch, that's what my chips are for, and animal bedding, compost, tree planting...

BH77 with mech thumb for stumps etc etc etc...

BB1560 box scraper perfect ballast against max loader lift capacity and is my other most attached implement, on the 3-point. A boxblade has many many uses with land working and drive maintenance/building. RC car tracks...

Unless there's longer term ongoing fence-building planned, like for livestock areas getting fenced over years as you adapt your lot, try and rent/borrow a 3-point post hole digger for one-off fencing. They're a lot to spring for for just a house yard or two worth of posts.

For log skidding I use a 1/4" hardened chain and a 3-point trailer hitch 2x2 receiver frame with trailer hitch and ball installed. Great for trailer moving too.
IMG_20210203_153858868.jpg
That's a 3/8" chain in photo, since got a 1/4" for ease of handling and put a hook one end and slip the other.

And there's a sub-soiler/ripper I got that also fits the 2"x2" trailer receiver hitch. Good for contour ripping, tree root control, line/pipe burying.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
/\/\/\

This. I get that grapples are all the rage, but I move one hell of a lot of brush/logs with my forks as well. I would imagine you could trim about 3K off of the budget by just getting forks?

anyway, bets of luck to you in your decision.
If you go with forks and later you (or your wife) change your mind, I am very happy with the "pallet fork add-a-grapple" Still available for around $1300 (here is the basic version: https://www.shfarmsupply.com/invent...allet-Fork/336S27--Joplin-Missouri---12662001 and here is a link to the adjustable version: https://precisionmfg.com/pallet-fork-adjustable/ and (just google results, no endorsement of these vendors from me).

I use the forks much more than I though I would and this way you'd take less of a $ hit if you change your mind later.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
You can definitely get the job done without a grapple and a stump grinder. I got these jobs done with my L2501, a chainsaw, loader with bucket, loader with pallet forks and a box blade;
tractor1.jpg

tractor2.jpg

tractor3.jpg

tractor4.jpg

Mike

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thats pretty impressive .. I wonder how long it would take me to yoink my first stump with that set up ..
Persistence pays off.
B02DEA97-8763-4C4F-9797-8854E9FA0BE5.jpeg

I’m about 6’2.

I always suggest MX, but seeing your property I believe that’d be overkill. I had an LX2610 before the MX. That’s a great little tractor. And I sometimes miss it on my 2ac, but then I take the MX across the street to the 80 of my FIL’s and forget about it. Lol.
B5956DEA-601B-49F6-8207-52EBA6C577E6.jpeg

This is the same stump from above, with LX pushing over the tree.

I think an LX would fit your property nicely.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The BX is a nice machine .. now im starting to get talked back into a backhoe lol

I have the BX25D (D=with backhoe). I'm currently in the middle of a trenching project with mine. It struggles with our hard Virginia clay when I'm down 3-4 feet. But I'm getting it done, it's just taking longer.

And that is the big deal. You can get a lot done with a smaller machine, but it's going to take longer.

So what is your time budget?

And there are some things the bigger unit will do that the smaller unit just won't. I simply cannot lift a tote full of firewood with my BX, but a bigger machine could handle it,

I have had poor results with digging out stumps with my backhoe. Try 8 hours for a 12" cedar. Not fun if you have 5 acres.

But a ripper would probably make that more doable. Check this video.

In your Florida sand, might be good. You might want to see what people in your neighborhood have experienced.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Thats pretty impressive .. I wonder how long it would take me to yoink my first stump with that set up ..
Thank you. Not long. I cut the stumps a bit tall so I can have additional leverage and use the loader with bucket to loosen the stump from the ground. Once I get the stump loose, I use the bucket (sometimes the pallet forks) to lift the stump out of the ground. Works great. But, you need some tractor weight to do it.

Mike

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I love my BX. I use it mostly for snowblowing(*hint, I am nowhere near Florida!) but a little bucket and pallet fork work too.
My biggest surprise was how much use I get from the forks (as has been mentioned here a few times)

They're lighter than a grapple, cheaper than a grapple and no extra ($$$) hydraulics.

If you\re on a budget, start there and then decide.

Sounds like an LX?? is in your future.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I liked the 3302 and 3902 but they wanted 30k and 32k with a loader at my local bota dealer which seems out of this world.
If you haven't, look into the cutting horse discount (20% off MSRP)...likely better than the pricing they were offering and the membership is free the first year.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
The B or LX will do all that you need. The LX will give you a bit more weight and “comfort”. The L will give even more weight but sacrifice some nimbleness. Sit on and test drive them all to see which feels best for you…….remember you may be on it for many hours straight so comfort and ergonomics is important.

The higher horsepower machines will only be a benefit for your pto work. All of the ground engagement and loader work will be virtually the same as the lower horsepower counterpart. Is the added emissions and expense worth it? Up to you.

Any of what you listed will handle your chores. Happy shopping!