New Tractor 5 acres

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this...
I want to clean up the woods and slowly clear it out a bit.

needs a tad more explanation. Do you want to make 'trails' either walkable or drive a tractor through them ? I just cleaned out an acre of bush with my BX23S to make a motorcycle 'track' which is about 5' MINIMUM width.
Depending on how 'thick' your forest is,you may need 6-10 feet width to pull long logs out,especially of you plan to run them through a sawmill. If just 'clearing a path', cut and buck then haul out with a garden tractor and trailer. Ideal tractor will have independent rear brakes (B2601 ..yes, BX23S..no ).

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I get this 100% and now I am going to be honest to all the good people of this great forum. I am pretty resourceful and could do as you said which a smart business man would. Worry about ROI and all that stuff like I do for my job. However... here it is

Ive liked tractors since I was a kid and I just never grew out of it... I have been working just to get to a place in life in which i had room to have a tractor.. I wanted more land than i have now but needed fiber internet for my job .. I play farming simulator ... FARMING SIMULATOR..

All that to say .. its a toy!! dont tell the wife because the powerpoint i showed her states no where its a toy.
OP you have been given some great advice on this thread I would have loved to have had when I bought a BX(no longer with me). You have a beautiful home / property from your pictures. The one item I would suggest you also consider and think through is traction…typically you need traction…lots of traction. Think about the ford 8n and 9n…they are still chugging along today. Did they have huge amounts of HP? Nope. How did they and how do they still do it? Traction (this is where weight and wheel size come in). A BX and Bs both run out of traction long before they run out of HP. In your case, I am not sure how that translates to sand…I would think that should be a consideration how you will get the traction you may want for the work you have in mind. For your type of sand I am not sure the solution but it may be worth considering. In my experience over landing 4x4 on sand(pulling a trailer certainly changes thing on sand), you want torque but not so much that you spin wheels and burry it…aggressive tires can speed up that problem if get too happy with the throttle…anyway my point is if you plan to drag logs I’d be thinking about how to have great traction / torque without spinning the tires. It’s a lot easier to burry a tractor than to get unstuck. You can always cut the logs shorter or cut them in place, still need to haul them though…think your process through to determine what or how you will do it. Along with that maybe guesstimate how much you want to be able to lift and transport (with your forks or bucket or whatever )or pull in a wagon. Depending on what you want to move you need some amount of weight and stance to lift or to pull with out tipping or burying. I am not familiar with a tractor on sand but I think it’s worth considering before a purchase. I am not sure I helped or not. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
That is a great point i guess i can add a grapple later if I feel like i really need it .. they are very costly
I would agree that the grapple and 3rd function will set you back about $3k (probably closer to $3.5k). I couldn’t do what I need to in a reasonable time without it though so for me it was money well spent. Up to you if it is worth it for your needs. Bucking, cutting to size and dragging is certainly an option……I got by with doing that with my 8n. With the grapple I can get done in an hour-ish what used to take me 8. I’m not nearly as beat up when I’m done now either.

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
So I have my local Kubota dealer moving a LX2610su to his dealership for me to try out. I also have another dealer with a Massey 1526 and TYM T-25 so figure I can sit on all of them.
I have not completely ruled out the L but I will sit on both and figure it out.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
If they let you...try working the hydraulics on ALL the tractors you're allowed to demo. I've found the operation of the hydraulics varies drastically between the brands and I personally much prefer Kubota, followed by Massey.

Mike

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I have a wooded property with large hills. Went from a BX to a B2601. Awesome little tractor but even will filled tires I was always in 4wd. Upgraded to L3302 and it does all of the same work in 2wd. The extra power was worth it too. The B2601 ran my brush hog and finish mower ok but the L does it without losing RPM and doesn't ever bog down. The 3302 now has a suspension seat and besides no armrests is just as comfortable as the B. I love the R14 tires too. I have quite a bit of sand and the traction has been great.

Have the same grapple on both. The extra weight is noticeable on the L for doing bucket/grapple work.

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
FWIW at this late stage...I have a nearly identical property, about 4 acres of woods plus 1 acre cleared around my home. I bought the LX2610 with grapple, no backhoe or MMM, and also picked up a Woodland mills WC68 for my chipping. I am amazed at what this tractor can do...skidding, grapple work, and the chipper. It has not lost a beat. I have rarely had to cut the tree to short 6' sections due to weight, but those are very large hardwoods at 20-24" diameter trunks. The tractor is a perfect size to maneuver through the woods and very comfortable to work with. I am 100% satisfied. I honestly think Kubota is conservative in their ratings for this tractor.

I do have filled tires plus a weight box (~650lbs) which helps tremendously I'm sure.

Reactions: 1 users

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
FWIW at this late stage...I have a nearly identical property, about 4 acres of woods plus 1 acre cleared around my home. I bought the LX2610 with grapple, no backhoe or MMM, and also picked up a Woodland mills WC68 for my chipping. I am amazed at what this tractor can do...skidding, grapple work, and the chipper. It has not lost a beat. I have rarely had to cut the tree to short 6' sections due to weight, but those are very large hardwoods at 20-24" diameter trunks. The tractor is a perfect size to maneuver through the woods and very comfortable to work with. I am 100% satisfied. I honestly think Kubota is conservative in their ratings for this tractor.

I do have filled tires plus a weight box (~650lbs) which helps tremendously I'm sure.
have you ever wished for more PTO HP? also what do you use to clean up the brush I was thinking about a flail because of the small size.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
have you ever wished for more PTO HP? also what do you use to clean up the brush I was thinking about a flail because of the small size.
He has the WC68 wood chipper for brush cleanup, as he mentioned. My B2650 runs the WC68 just fine with just 18HP PTO. And it spins the Woods 60" rotary mower without a problem, too.

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I thought I might with the wood chipper, but honestly, as long as I don't do stupid stuff like try to chip 8" oak, it's been very good. I don't have a flail mower yet but it's on my list. I had a tornado go through and take a ton of trees down so most of the work is bucking and stacking large trees with the grapple and chipping the rest and the LX2610 hasn't lost a beat. Eventually I'll get to the flail mower part...I've seen vids where 20HP PTO should be sufficient for a smaller flail.

You should check out GP Outdoors on YouTube, he has a LX2610 with cab and does tons of work with it. Would be a good guide I think.
https://www.youtube.com/c/GPOutdoors

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Much like you, I do not have a "need" for a tractor, but I have had one for around 2 years and it gets a fair amount of use. I have a partially wooded acre and started with a BX1880. I had that for around a year and a half before moving up to a B2601. While the BX did everything I asked of it and more, the B2601 has been a good fit for me even though many would say it is larger than someone with an acre needs. We are looking to buy a couple acres of land around us or move to a larger property, so the B2601 was also a little bit of future proofing.

The extra lift capacity, deluxe features and ground clearance have been put the good use, while not being much larger than the BX. I live in CT, so we have a lot of rocks and when doing basically any project, you wind up needing to move boulders of varying sizes.

As others have suggested, you will want to sit on machines. I really wanted an LX, but once I saw one in person, I knew it was too large, even though I kind of already knew that from the specs.

No matter what you get, you'll be able to get work done, its just a matter of how much time it will take. I moved 600k lbs of dirt to regrade my front lawn with the BX. It would take 3-4 hours to move and spread a triaxle of dirt. With the B2601 I could have shave an hour or so off each truck.

If I had 5 acres, I would be looking at the LX or L, not even considering a backhoe and getting only the implements I absolutely need on day 1. As others have said, pallets forks are a poor man's grapple, and is something you can add in the future if you find out the pallet forks just aren't cutting it.

Contrary to what many will say, you can actually buy too large of a tractor, so its important to get the one that fits your needs best. Everyone's mileage varies, so take advice from anyone with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users

JVthePT

Equipment
Kubota B2601, LA435, BB1254, AT2560, Worksaver SC Grapple
Aug 5, 2022
Blakesburg, Iowa
I know I'm late to the party but I just went through the purchasing a new tractor rabbit hole. I have 100 acres, 12 in hay (neighbor cuts and bales), 4 in yard and the rest timber. Deep ravines and some pretty thick timber. I had a smaller Massey before my new Kubota and wanted to keep my implements - especially the 4' brush cutter and 5' finish mower. Knowing my storage was a little less than a single car space in my garage and the tight timber I went with the B2601. I added a Worksaver 48" grapple and a 54" box blade and I'm thrilled with this machine. Looking forward to doing more work with it and continuing to make it my own with mods and additions.
It's no slouch with the grapple. Added beet juice to the rear tires and the box blade or brush cutter are good ballast.
I didn't want something hard to get on/off, pretty crappy knees under this fat guy and I'm only 5'8" so the B2601 is just right.

Attachments

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
I am in complete analysis paralyses over picking my first tractor.
I have 5 acres wooded besides about an acre cleared around the house.
I want to clean up the woods and slowly clear it out a bit. After I get room cleared I will have a large garden.
a few things I think I will do
Skid logs out of woods
Grapple
Rake woods floor
Grind stumps
Flail mower brush
.5 acre garden
Spay lawn
Mulch
Till
compost pile
Build fence
Build small RC car track (don’t judge)

I am going back and forth on the size I need from the b2601,lx2610 or 3302/3902
I wanted a backhoe at first but after reading stuff online I might skip it
also I want tractor seat time so don’t mind extra hours to accomplish
thank you for any advice you can give since I’m am stuck in this rabbit hole.
Just thought I'd throw this out there as I'm doing similar things on my property. Based on the pics you posted later in this thread of your property, I don't see anything that my B2601 with a grapple and backhoe couldn't handle. I'm removing much larger trees in hard soil. Invest in a good chainsaw and rope, block, and tackle to handle any large stump you can't remove with BH.

Grapple pulls multiple duties as it works well as a rake, can handle brush, can transport logs cut to size, etc...

Since you mentioned budget constraints in later posts: Cost was about 28k (last year's prices) for what I'm using (see my implement listing in signature.)

Just offering my experience in case it might help. (-:

Best of luck on you, Tim!

Reactions: 1 users

JVthePT

Equipment
Kubota B2601, LA435, BB1254, AT2560, Worksaver SC Grapple
Aug 5, 2022
Blakesburg, Iowa
My timber is choked with multiflora rose in many areas. The grapple surprised me in how effective it is in removing that nasty stuff. It will make the walk to my deer stands much easier, quieter and more enjoyable! So far my grapple is the most fun I've ever had on a tractor.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I forgot to mention I love my grapple. My forest is overgrown. I make huge piles and then just clean them up with the grapple. Way easier than forks for that task. Easier to add the 3rd function from the get go. No labor cost and it's already at the dealer.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Your op said you were gonna get the backhoe till reading online so I’m just kinda assuming it was in the budget at some point. By not adding it should free up enough cash 12+ thousand around my area (canada). Thats easily your grapple plus a one or two more depending. The cost of a BH is only really worth it to me if your gonna need it more then just to clean up your property a bit. 12k is a lot of mini ex rentals plus you’d also get seat time in the mini. Super fun and much better at getting the job done. You wanted seat time this will give you seat time in other equipment along with your tractor.
In my case I do mostly bush work and the added weight for me is a must for safety traction and so I’m just not overworking my tractor. Once you have a chance to see a few and sit and Touch you’ll know which one is meant for you. Hopefully you got a good dealer and sales team serving you. That sometimes is half the issue for new buyers.
Dreaming about a tractor since you were a boy. Seems like enough reason to me to get the bigger one. Don’t tell the sales guy this lol
Now that you’ve got the property have fun with it. Sounds like that’s on the list also with the RC track. Must be nice being able to do more then just snow on your tractor all winter.
Have fun with it be safe and be sure to post lots of pics of you working it.

ps stick with Kubota

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
I am in complete analysis paralyses over picking my first tractor.

I have 5 acres wooded besides about an acre cleared around the house.

I want to clean up the woods and slowly clear it out a bit. After I get room cleared I will have a large garden.

a few things I think I will do
Skid logs out of woods
Grapple
Rake woods floor
Grind stumps
Flail mower brush
.5 acre garden
Spay lawn
Mulch
Till
compost pile
Build fence
Build small RC car track (don’t judge)

when it’s cleared out a bit is when I will garden and build the track

I am going back and forth on the size I need from the b2601,lx2610 or 3302/3902

I wanted a backhoe at first but after reading stuff online I might skip it

also I want tractor seat time so don’t mind extra hours to accomplish

thank you for any advice you can give since I’m am stuck in this rabbit hole.
These have worked well for me on 5 acres.

Attachments

• Haha

Jhtractor

Equipment
2021 LX3310, LA535, RTR1258 tiller, QH10, BB1260, LX2963, PF1242, RCK60
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
For what its worth, I have 5.25 acre property that is hilly and wooded. Been very pleased with my LX3310 and all the work I have been able to get done on the property. Built a new home and did all the lawn prep and seeding as well as moving gravel, 180' of block retaining walls, base and backfill with stone and drain tile, planted trees, cleared brush and moved logs with my pallet forks. Also use my tractor for snowplowing, but understand that isn't in your needs. Runs a tiller without blinking for lawn prep and putting in our garden. Have no idea what I would do without it. I debated between a B2601 and LX2610, got the KX3310 because the dealer had one in the crate on hand. No issues with DPF and emissions stuff, was concerned but its been a non-issue. Good luck on your purchase!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
From what I see based on what you've posted, I'd suggest taking a close look at the LX 2610. I went with the B2650 (basically the same thing only older version) with the backhoe. Ergonomics for me were better than the L series, size wise slightly larger than the smaller B. It does have a slightly tighter steering radius than the L and also slightly taller ground clearance which are both great for working in the woods. If you are wanting to clear things out you need to decide if you want to dig up the stumps or grind them. I decided to spend the money on the backhoe and dig them up vs buying a stump grinder. The BH is a great multi tool and I use it for all kinds of things. A stump grinder is 1 trick pony so for me it would just be collecting dust now that I have my stumps gone. Of course you could always rent a stump grinder or an excavator to take care of the stumps.
Of the 3 on your initial list, all 3 will do what you want so it can be a tough decision. Take your time, sit on/test drive all 3 if possible. Good luck and have fun with it.
"The BH is a great multi tool and I use it for all kinds of things"

I have had a BH (Ford 3400 TLB, now Kubota L48 TLB) for 36 years.
At nearly 82, I use my BH tractor much less that in my earlier years.
That said; I have never wished that I had saved some cash by not getting a BH.
"Multi tool"........ it certainly is!(y)

KubotaTim

Jul 27, 2021
High Springs FL
For what its worth, I have 5.25 acre property that is hilly and wooded. Been very pleased with my LX3310 and all the work I have been able to get done on the property. Built a new home and did all the lawn prep and seeding as well as moving gravel, 180' of block retaining walls, base and backfill with stone and drain tile, planted trees, cleared brush and moved logs with my pallet forks. Also use my tractor for snowplowing, but understand that isn't in your needs. Runs a tiller without blinking for lawn prep and putting in our garden. Have no idea what I would do without it. I debated between a B2601 and LX2610, got the KX3310 because the dealer had one in the crate on hand. No issues with DPF and emissions stuff, was concerned but its been a non-issue. Good luck on your purchase!
This is very helpful I think the LX is the way to go for me. How often do you wish you had a backhoe?