Grease fitting

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Not to hijack this thread but I'm having real issues with grease guns. I end up wearing more grease than I get into the machine I'm trying to grease. I just threw away another grease gun today.
I'm now considering a Milwaukee or DeWalt cordless, or the German one Tractor Mike advertises.
Any experience with those types?
Without info why you dissatisfied makes it hard to know if any of the others will fix your problem.

I do have the Dewalt cordless grease with a Lock-N-Lube tip and really like it. I picked Dewalt because that is the battery platform I'm on. I believe many of the major battery platforms have a grease gun for their system.

Yet, it may have more to do with the use of the tool rather than the tool itself.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have the DeWalt also. Slightly different reasons. Most of my tools are Bosch platform. But Bosch doesn't make a gun. SO shopping at Farm & Fleet last year they had a sale on guns. They offered Milwaukee, Lincoln and DeWalt. The DeWalt went home with me as it was $50 off, and was the only one not made in China but the USA. Also it was a whole kit which because of all my Bosch tools I would need. I since got a great deal on a DeWalt leaf blower with another battery kit. So now I have 2 DW batteries. Which has led me to buy 2 DeWalt brushless impact wrenches (3/8 drive and 1/2" drive) and lastly a DeWalt cordless trimmer (brushless) and a DW pole saw. The DW batteries last and last so quite happy with both platforms

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have the DeWalt also. Slightly different reasons. Most of my tools are Bosch platform. But Bosch doesn't make a gun. SO shopping at Farm & Fleet last year they had a sale on guns. They offered Milwaukee, Lincoln and DeWalt. The DeWalt went home with me as it was $50 off, and was the only one not made in China but the USA. Also it was a whole kit which because of all my Bosch tools I would need. I since got a great deal on a DeWalt leaf blower with another battery kit. So now I have 2 DW batteries. Which has led me to buy 2 DeWalt brushless impact wrenches (3/8 drive and 1/2" drive) and lastly a DeWalt cordless trimmer (brushless) and a DW pole saw. The DW batteries last and last so quite happy with both platforms
That $50-off loss-leader was a great way for DW to get you into their tools. (good marketing decision on their part)
I really favor DeWalt Tools in my shop.… Well-built, American-made, durable. I’ve got a DeWalt screw-gun/driver that has built over 12 large R-panel buildings/hangars and still no failure other than the power-cord that was replaced after it got caught in a saw. That represents many thousands of self-tapping screws driven thru steel.

Reactions: 1 user

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I have an old school style gun with flexhose. My only issue is that it's ripped a couple fittings out of plastic. Thankfully I was able to rescrew them back in and not have damage.

Dan

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have to say, I have been very pleased with Bosch. My only reasons for adding DeWalt were because Bosch did not make some of the tools I needed (pole saw, leaf blower, grease gun)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have lever-guns with flex-hoses.… Five of ‘em…each with a different type grease. Plain tips on them. (I use gen-purpose/lithium, water-proof marine, molybdenum, aircraft mineral and aircraft synthetic greases)

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm dissatisfied with the typical grease gun due to the spring pressure in the tube. Yesterday on changing the cartridge the plunger popped out of it's catch and blew the whole new tube of grease all over me. Sure, there is a user error factor, my fault, but there's a better way.
I ordered a Lube-Shuttle manual pistol type last night.

Funny part is the old ones we had when I was a kid in the 70's never had issues. I suppose now that I'm older my manual dexterity is diminished to the point of frustration. And the grease guns aren't built as well today.

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I do not believe that L&L is sold by chain retailers or individual auto parts houses.
Yes they are Paul b Zimmermans has them on the shelf down the grease and lube isle. They are more expensive then buying right from their web site.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
YOu don’t explain why you’re dissatisfied with your grease gun…but chances are….the tip was not adjusted properly if it pumped grease everywhere except inside the grease fitting.
Grease gun “tips” are adjustable to fit onto and grab the zerk fittings properly. When people buy them they assume they are “one size fits all” and ready to work.

But think of them THIS way: They are like a ”crescent” wrench. They must be adjusted to “snap” onto a zerk fitting and grab it securely…for grease to flow into the fitting only and not spill grease all over the place. If you look closely you will see that the gun tip is not a single-piece…but is adjustable.
Once properly adjusted….they “snap” onto the zerk fitting and do not leak. A “jerk” should be all that is necessary to remove it. If it does not remove with similar force as it took to “snap” it onto the zerk…then it needs to be re-adjusted.

You WILL find the “happy sweet spot” for it…and will not need any crutches such as lok-n-lub or other expensive modifications.

(The most common reason anyone has problems with adjustable grease-gun-tip is that they have equipment with varying sizes of zerk fittings. However, I keep my gun tips at a medium “grip” adjustment and have no problems with them.
I find yoir sentiment quite funny. Working on heavy equipment and now amusement rides greasing is a daily occurrence, and I typically mean a case of grease is nothing to go through in a day. Screwing around to adjust the standard tips takes time I don't have. The lock n lube and types like it saves time. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they do t have their place or don't work. I also run a rather long and quite expensive hose on one of my grease guns, those cheap short hoses just don't cut it for daily use where you can't get the grease gun remotely close to the zerk. Also we have a huge mix of American and European made equipment and those commies just haven't figured out how to make a zerk the same size, again making the lock n lube style of attachment very nice to use.
Home use, like so many others, I have my almite with the same long hose and lock n lube tip then another with a standard tip. I like them and wouldn't be without one.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
…lock n lube and types like it saves time. ….

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they do t have their place or don't work.…..
Where did I say that?

I only implied they are not necessary with a properly adjusted standard tip.

I also (in another post) agreed that they auto-adjust by design.

Why is it that internet forums has everyone in attack-mode against people they don’t know…?? is it because you‘re not face-to-face / in-person… ?? … and behind a keyboard and hiding behind a non-identifying “username” that people think they’re anonymous ..??? therefore it’s Okay to be so blunt and quick to denigrate..?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Relax, kids! My respectful input is; My issues was never with zerk to coupler. My issues are with the current and accepted design of grease guns. In, and of themselves.

Most greasing folks will have on hand replacement zerk fittings. I do.

Pissing matches on forums are common place. It's easier because there is zero voice or body inflection.

And darn it.... Why do I keep getting adds for a Big Mac deal when I use this website??!!

• Haha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Where did I say that?

I only implied they are not necessary with a properly adjusted standard tip.

I also (in another post) agreed that they auto-adjust by design.

Why is it that internet forums has everyone in attack-mode against people they don’t know…?? is it because you‘re not face-to-face / in-person… ?? … and behind a keyboard and hiding behind a non-identifying “username” that people think they’re anonymous ..??? therefore it’s Okay to be so blunt and quick to denigrate..?
I'm the same way on the internet as I am in person, my user name is what roughly 80% of the people that know me call me. Sean Donato is my full name, on the other forums I belong to I do use my full name. For some reason I wasn't allowed to here. I am how I am.
I also took what you wrote to mean no one knows how to adjust a standard grease fitting, and the lock n lube is a waste of money. May have been your wording, something lost in translation of a verbal language typed out. I've re read it(your post) several times now and it still comes across as being talked down to. Further if you go back and read your post #10, and take both your posts together you should surly understand why my panties got twisted.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In my opinion, George has a superiority complex, plain and simple. If he disagrees with your opinion he goes full tilt to rebut it. He needs to write his comments, and let them age a day or so, and then go back and read them again.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'm the same way on the internet as I am in person, my user name is what roughly 80% of the people that know me call me. Sean Donato is my full name, on the other forums I belong to I do use my full name. For some reason I wasn't allowed to here. I am how I am.
I also took what you wrote to mean no one knows how to adjust a standard grease fitting, and the lock n lube is a waste of money. May have been your wording, something lost in translation of a verbal language typed out. I've re read it(your post) several times now and it still comes across as being talked down to. Further if you go back and read your post #10, and take both your posts together you should surly understand why my panties got twisted.
That post discussed the COST of modifying away from standard grease gun tips… I did not imply the Lock-n-Lube was unworthy, in my opinion.

I cannot possibly “talk down to” anyone in these forums…almost everyone is more-qualified than I on diesel Kubotas….
But I may be a bit didactic in my ”tone”. I sincerely apoligize for that tone…and will work on it.

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, my Manual Pistol type grip Lube -Shuttle grease gun kit came today with 10 tubes of moly bearing grease.

I am very impressed. I lubed my tandem axle'd 14K trailer via the EZ Lube axles. I actually got no grease on my clothes. And that was after changing two grease canisters.

Having a little engineering background and education, I looked at the Lube Shuttle and am amazed that this hasn't been the standard for years. I don't know the legal or patent situation but. My stars! Why have we been dealing with these spring plunger grease guns for so long?

Go Lube Shuttle.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
So, my Manual Pistol type grip Lube -Shuttle grease gun kit came today with 10 tubes of moly bearing grease.

I am very impressed. I lubed my tandem axle'd 14K trailer via the EZ Lube axles. I actually got no grease on my clothes. And that was after changing two grease canisters.

Having a little engineering background and education, I looked at the Lube Shuttle and am amazed that this hasn't been the standard for years. I don't know the legal or patent situation but. My stars! Why have we been dealing with these spring plunger grease guns for so long?

Go Lube Shuttle.
The answer to that question is: …because Lube Shuttle forces you to utilize only THEIR proprietary grease cartridges. One cannot easily utilize any other brand or formulation of grease.

The more common lever grease guns will accept ANY brand/formulation of grease, even if a particular grease does not come in cartridges.… it may be loaded directly into the gun-chamber.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. $11 per cart, $120 for gun/2 cart that's a LOT of Canucks......
Now Mato does say you can refill the carts....
If they're soooo good, wonder why Mato sells 'regular' grease guns ???? hmmm

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have several old school guns that my father bought decades before I was born. Still use them today. A couple pistol grips and a couple lever guns. My only modification was to put a 2’ flex hose on one of the pistol guns with a L&L connector. Nice option but there are still times I don’t get a good deal on the zerk. OE every time. I find it particularly handy when greasing up the mmm. That being said there is one fitting for an idler at the back where I use another gun with a swivel tip and a fixed 18” shaft. Pain to get your hand in there and connect the L&L. I’d like to get a battery powered gun but I am deep in Ryobi tools and they do not sell one here at the orange box store. That being said, there is something satisfying about pulling out a toll your father use in the 50’s and putting it to use today. A connection to the past and I like that.

Reactions: 4 users