kubota bound , tractor newbie

bludweiser

Jun 1, 2012
pennsylvania
hello all...

heading to dealer tomorrow to look at 2 models..

never owned a tractor, we own 14 acres, with 2 ponds, woods, stream, we have been here 20 yrs without a tractor,, i think its time to make the plunge..
gonna look at these models. quoted prices out the door...

L3200hst,LA524 w 66" ss bucket, BH77 backhoe with 16" bucket, 26,517.00

L3800hst,LA524 w 66" ss bucket, BH77 backhoe with 16" bucket, 28,202.00

buying out of state so no sales tax,,,

the L4600 is alittle out of our price range,, as far as size, are the 3 models about the same except for horsepower ? L4600 vs L3800 ? vs L3200?
i want to get something that can do the job, dont want to go to small..

any comments or help is appreciated...

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Consider this. Go to the dealer and decide what you want and learn all you can. Don't commit. After you return home start looking at Kubota's on Craig's List. Be patient and you can save a bundle on a late model Kubota with low hours.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Welcome!

The L4600 is a larger, heavier chassis and takes a larger FEL. The 3200 and 3800 are basically the same, except HP and a few little things.

I've had my L3800 over 5 months now and love it. No regrets at all...

bludweiser

Jun 1, 2012
pennsylvania
thanks for your replys,, but i dont think i would get a warrenty or 0 percent finacing from someone on craigs list,,,going tomorrow to look at a L3800,,,

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The L 32, 38 and 46 are what Kubota calles a "basic" tractor. Those 3 models are pretty much built with the same features and options just more horespower and weight. I bet if you look at any of those 3 models with a gear transmission and not HST I bet you'd save at least 3 thousand dollars off the price.

bludweiser

Jun 1, 2012
pennsylvania
thanks for your reply..

was quoted 1000.00 less for GST...
same as kubota website..if it were 3000.00 i might consider it,,but for 1000.00 more , i would rather have the HST...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
thanks for your reply..

was quoted 1000.00 less for GST...
same as kubota website..if it were 3000.00 i might consider it,,but for 1000.00 more , i would rather have the HST...
GST is the glide shift trans and not the same as gear drive (manual w/clutch). Gear drive would be less $ yet.

I paid 16k for my 3800DT gear drive, w/FEL and 5" mower. Like I said, no regrets at all and I prefer gear drive...

Good luck!

bludweiser

Jun 1, 2012
pennsylvania
kubota offers HST and GST on there website,, are they hiding the manual shift with clutch for some reason, where do you get 12 grand less,,backhoe attachememt is almost 8 grand.. came here for alittle help and i get stupid answers from some people..tipical.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
WOW thats 12 grand less by going with the gear tranny over the HST!!!
kubota offers HST and GST on there website,, are they hiding the manual shift with clutch for some reason, where do you get 12 grand less,,backhoe attachememt is almost 8 grand.. came here for alittle help and i get stupid answers from some people..tipical.
Yeah, no backhoe here. Figured I saved between 2-3k goin gear drive. But I didn't want or price HST, so don't really know.

No stupid answers here that I see, Eric just missed the backhoe...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I only see the HST and Gear Drive options, No GST for the L series. It's very easy to confuse GST with Gear Drive when lookin at specs. Looks like the Gear Drive is right at 2k less on the Kubota web site. This can vary from dealer to dealer. I was pleased with my deal, at my dealer.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I went the L3200 route. I figured the less hp, the less likely I'd be to tear up the tractor. I also went the gear route. When you are digging with the FEL, the tendency is to charge into whatever you are trying to dig. I've never used anything but low for this, to protect the tractor. With gears that is a mile an hour; with HST it can be 5. Just another reason for gears...
I don't think the 32/38 hp issue really has any validity. L3200 is a bit less expensive. If you think you might need the hp, spend the extra $$.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah, no backhoe here. Figured I saved between 2-3k goin gear drive. But I didn't want or price HST, so don't really know.

No stupid answers here that I see, Eric just missed the backhoe...

Isn't that initially what I said from the start, save about 3 grand less. And yeah I missed the backhoe part. So YEAH thats how I got the 12 grand difference. Some people really want to ride your ass if you make a simple mistake.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Isn't that initially what I said from the start, save about 3 grand less. And yeah I missed the backhoe part. So YEAH thats how I got the 12 grand difference. Some people really want to ride your ass if you make a simple mistake.
Yep, you were right in the ball park. :cool:

bludweiser

Jun 1, 2012
pennsylvania
went to dealer, bought a l3800 66 in. fel, backhoe, they had to order backhoe ,did paperwork, gave a down payment,, now im wondering why there is no model yr. or serial or vin number on paper work ? should there be ? never gave it a thought,, also dealer said there would be 1 to 2 hours on machine for setting up the tractor.. is this normal kubota dealer process,,

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You owe Eric an apology. OTT is a good place, with good people. Eric is one of them. Before you get your shorts in a knot, get to know folks. I think that you'll change your opinion.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Thats the big thing I like about this forum. How nice everyone is. From the first question I asked here, I was always treated with respect from everyone. This has always been a non-flaming community that truly wants to help other Orange tractor owners. Theres way to many other forums that belittle you or treat you poorly just for showing up on "their" pages, but not here! I'm proud to be a member here for over 2 years and can count a bunch of these guys as friends!!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Far as I know there are only 3 real professionals on this site. And thats Service Dept Vic and Eserv is one too I believe and lastly Wildfire. Other then that its pretty much just your average Joe's, ammature to moderate owner/operators who are just here helping out other people. We all learn from one another, and help out eachother from what we know. Weather it be from our own problems or if its something we remember another member have an issue about.

I'm 31 years old and I'm not by far claiming I know all there is to know about Kubota tractors. But I have owned my own Kubota for about 10 or 11 years now and I try to do all my own service and repair work. Beyond that I grew up around tractors, my dad has owned a L275 since just before I was born and yeah Kubota runs deep in my blood line. I am a tractor junkie, I even have a huge farm toy diecast tractor collection that I've been growing for years and quite a few of those are Kubota.