Accident To Share

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I wanted to pass on a luckily not to serious accident I experienced a couple weeks ago. I was removing my grapple bucket from my FEL. I lowered the loader to the ground and floated the Hydraulic lever to relieve the pressure so I could disconnect the 3rd function hoses that control the grapple. The grapple touches the ground first and the loader frame is still about 8" off the ground when floated. While I was up front to disconnect the grapple hoses I decided I would go ahead and release the attachment levers and prepare to remove the grapple. When I released the levers the loader, which was in the float position, immediately separated from the grapple and lowered the 8" on to the ground. Unfortunately my foot was under the loader frame in that 8" gap. I was caught with my foot under the loader frame. I couldn't move. luckily I had my cell phone in my pocket and was able call for help. Help arrived within 20 minutes so there was no circulation damage. It did fracture the 3rd metarsal bone in my foot. Nothing to serious. Had I not had my phone, which I don't always do, I would have been fastened there for several hours. A simple task that I have done may times went south in a hurry. Just remember to look every situation over for possible safety hazards and never become complacent.
IMG_3392.jpeg
IMG_3393.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg
IMG_3394.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you for sharing - not many would "tell on themselves" but we all make a boo-boo every now and then.

Glad you are ok - hope the foot heals fast!

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Good that you weren't pins for a long time.

I set my grapple on an old truck tire, release the hyd. lines (after maneuvering the controls to release pressure), release the hitch pins. Then get on the tractor, lower the loader a couple of inches and back up. I never have my loader in float position. But then I'm weird. I have a couple of loader tractors and never use float, even when spreading material.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Glad to hear you are (mostly) ok. I guess its easy for anyone to get too familiar with a task and not be fully attentive.
I never put my fel in float when working on an attached implement. The hydraulic hoses are the last thing I remove - after backing out several inches.
With all that said several months ago I found I had not engaged one of the quick attach rods on my forks. That was found when I was removing it. Fortunately I only had my 25gal sprayer on it, not much weight, no damage. Its just too easy to get familiar.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Good that you weren't pins for a long time.

I set my grapple on an old truck tire, release the hyd. lines (after maneuvering the controls to release pressure), release the hitch pins. Then get on the tractor, lower the loader a couple of inches and back up. I never have my loader in float position. But then I'm weird. I have a couple of loader tractors and never use float, even when spreading material.
I seem to have some problems re-attaching the hoses if I don't float the hydraulics before disconnecting. Even then I still seem to have pressure when I re-attach.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
I wanted to pass on a luckily not to serious accident I experienced a couple weeks ago. I was removing my grapple bucket from my FEL. I lowered the loader to the ground and floated the Hydraulic lever to relieve the pressure so I could disconnect the 3rd function hoses that control the grapple. The grapple touches the ground first and the loader frame is still about 8" off the ground when floated. While I was up front to disconnect the grapple hoses I decided I would go ahead and release the attachment levers and prepare to remove the grapple. When I released the levers the loader, which was in the float position, immediately separated from the grapple and lowered the 8" on to the ground. Unfortunately my foot was under the loader frame in that 8" gap. I was caught with my foot under the loader frame. I couldn't move. luckily I had my cell phone in my pocket and was able call for help. Help arrived within 20 minutes so there was no circulation damage. It did fracture the 3rd metarsal bone in my foot. Nothing to serious. Had I not had my phone, which I don't always do, I would have been fastened there for several hours. A simple task that I have done may times went south in a hurry. Just remember to look every situation over for possible safety hazards and never become complacent.
View attachment 70641 View attachment 70642 View attachment 70643 View attachment 70644
I did the same thing about a year ago

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I seem to have some problems re-attaching the hoses if I don't float the hydraulics before disconnecting. Even then I still seem to have pressure when I re-attach.
If the attachment hydraulics has warmed since being disconnected this will happen - the fluid can't expand and pressurizes behind the closed lines. I often have to tap open the coupler seal with a cloth-wrapped punch and hammer to release the pressure. Those tools are always in my tractor toolbox.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I always do everything right except when I don’t. Complacency, thinking about the next task before finishing the current task, and distractions are the main culprits for me.

Just last night I was in a hurry disconnecting my 30’ camper from my truck, which I’ve done at least a few hundred times. Not like I don’t know how to do it. Being in a hurry and thinking more about the next three things I had to do instead of concentrating on what I was doing. Forgot to block the trailer wheels but fortunately also didn’t disconnect the safety chains. As soon as the hitch cleared the ball it jumped back about 6” as it attempted a solo run down the slope it was on. Safety chains did a good job. I didn’t. No harm done but if I’d already disconnected the safety chains it would have been a much different ending.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 70641 View attachment 70642 View attachment 70643 View attachment 70644
Hopefully I will not ever see a similar situation.
My locks are bussed together, by a hydraulic cylinder, with hydraulic power supplied by a 3rd function diverter.
The diverter/locks can only be activated hydraulically from the operator station.
At 81 it is a wonderfully convenient accessory.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Soooo your foot is OK for the most part,,, but how long did it take to clean all that soft brown squishy stuff outa your shorts and off the floor... :)

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Glad to hear it wasn't worse, and thanks for sharing.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Never release any implement while standing in front of it. Always from the side unless impossible, and then make sure that it can't fall on you! Good to know that you are OK, and on the mend.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Been there, done that, with no hope of rescue near, in my back yard. Hope you mend soon and I have NO doubt you'll be much more aware of where you put your feet in the future.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Hopefully I will not ever see a similar situation.
My locks are bussed together, by a hydraulic cylinder, with hydraulic power supplied by a 3rd function diverter.
The diverter/locks can only be activated hydraulically from the operator station.
At 81 it is a wonderfully convenient accessory.
This incident has sparked my interest in such an accessory. My compact track loader had that option and it was great!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I came close to doing that changing from bucket to forks the first time. Since then I only release the latches with shut off and the implement slightly off the ground. If I am removing the grapple I shut off the engine then turn on the electric to the 3rd function and press the 2 buttons and it relieves the pressure so I can disconnect the hoses. My grapple stands up well closed so that might be different for others. I don't mind admitting it scared me how close I came to getting that loader arm on my foot
Hope your foot heals OK for you.

Bill

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I hook this up when it is not attached to the tractor. There is some air in the black pipe so it never builds up pressure.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
With the levers in that awkward position, I wonder if these accidents are all too common. There might be an opportunity for someone to market a tool or device to get the operator out of the pinch points.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm guilty here as well. It happened to me about 2 years ago. I had to calmly ask my mother to pull the loader control straight back to raise it off of my foot. Fortunately, no lasting injury for me but it certainly was a learning lesson.