Front Chains on BX

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cant say as I have ever heard of chains on the front,, I guess if you had a lot of ice they would be ok,,

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It shouldn't hurt anything, and may be a real help in the Winter. Sometimes when pushing, the front end wants to go a different direction, so chains would help the tires bite more when turning.
My great uncle used to run chains only on the front of his snow pushing pickup, and swore by it. To each his own.

Reactions: 1 user

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
Havey9: Seeing you are in Nova Scotia I would be getting the chains now!! We use them here in Vermont and you are North of us. It will help when turing alot.

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No clue where Murph gets his chains, but he has it right. He has good 2-link chains that look heavy - only way to go.

My BX2360 may look very similar shortly (minus the cab), when I add the front chains.

I get my chains from my locally-owned hardware store. Price for fronts - 18x8.5-10 is $47. (list is $85).

Got the backs last fall for $130. (list was 240 or so)

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
I have a Kubota B7510 4X4 with loader and I was told not to put chains on both front tires because the axles will not take the strain. It is ok to chain 1 tire for steering purposes as the tire with out the chain will spin so there is not strain on the front end. So I have an ice chain on 1 front tire for steering on ice.

65specialk

Equipment
B21 BX25D
Aug 9, 2011
Gasburg, Va.
The parts guys will love you. They will sell you all kinds of expensive parts because it will tear up every thing. I am pretty sure Kubota knows what they are talking about. Last winter I rebuilt a front end on a BX 24 that ran chains. Parts were over $1,000 and I only replace what had to be replaced. Labor was almost as much. Good luck.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So which front tires gets chains (so no damage occurs) right or left?
Or does it make a difference?
I was thinking about front chains for the new snowblower.
I've done a lot of snowblowing with a BX.

Is your snowblower front-mount or rear (3-point hitch) mount?

Many folks will say NO chains on the front tires. Period.

However, many guys/gals do the fronts. Some only the fronts, mostly for steering.
You ask left or right?!?! I've never known chains to be applied to one side, especially fronts. Doing so will be more likely to cause damage in my opinion.

The problem is when in 4WD, if you have good "bite" the chains can help tear the front drive system apart. The front wheels turn at a faster rate than the rears, and when turning the rotational difference between the two front tires causes more stresses.

If you only use 4WD when in "loose" traction, there should be no issue.

Are you planning on putting chains on the rears?

I cannot navigate with a BX2360 without rear chains. I have some grades to work. I do lose some steering without front chains.

I have chains for my fronts on my BX. Haven't put them on in a couple winters. It's close quarters to put rear chains on, but more so the fronts to clear the tie-rods etc.

34BD2ECA-3147-4A8E-92A8-2078F1A0C466.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I've done a lot of snowblowing with a BX.

Is your snowblower front-mount or rear (3-point hitch) mount?

Many folks will say NO chains on the front tires. Period.

However, many guys/gals do the fronts. Some only the fronts, mostly for steering.
You ask left or right?!?! I've never known chains to be applied to one side, especially fronts. Doing so will be more likely to cause damage in my opinion.

The problem is when in 4WD, if you have good "bite" the chains can help tear the front drive system apart. The front wheels turn at a faster rate than the rears, and when turning the rotational difference between the two front tires causes more stresses.

If you only use 4WD when in "loose" traction, there should be no issue.

Are you planning on putting chains on the rears?

I cannot navigate with a BX2360 without rear chains. I have some grades to work. I do lose some steering without front chains.I have chains for my fronts on my BX. Haven't put them on in a couple winters. It's close quarters to put rear chains on, but more so the fronts to clear the tie-rods etc.
Yeah…never had front chains but thought I “might” with the new snowblower coming. I use the rubber chains on the rear and got by the with those last winter…I guess I won’t be worry about it and see how she goes. Last thing I want to do is ruin my 8 year old BX.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You blowing a paved or stone driveway?

If stone, a bigger concern could be throwing as much stone as snow......been there done that...and continue to pay attention every year....

Good luck!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
You blowing a paved or stone driveway?

If stone, a bigger concern could be throwing as much stone as snow......been there done that...and continue to pay attention every year....

Good luck!
My driveway is one third paved and 2/3 recycled asphalt. The recycled asphalt has lost some of it’s packed surface and there are some smaller pebbles loose on top. Not sure how the blower will operate on it if I have it set the same as the paved part. I’m sure I’ll be throwing some pebbles…not planning to change the skids setting between the pavement and recycled…so I guess I’ll see what happens.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you getting a front mount blower?

Just a suggestion.

Since 2/3's of drive is driveway mix/recycled asphalt, set your shoes low...meaning leaving an inch+/- of snow. You'll want that for the stone area. Once it freezes down, you can raise the shoes a little.

If possible, put a rear blade on to clean the paved area of the 1" . A box blade could even work, if the area isn't real big. I use mine fall and spring before stuff is frozen down.

Many folks keep a rear blade on all winter to clean up near garages, walks, etc. I don't have one, but have looked many times over the years.

I've used a tractor-mounted blower for 20+ years on a stone driveway. Dealing with it is part science, part-art.... 😉

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You haven't mentioned what type or model snowblower you're getting.

Your BX25D is very similar to my BX2360.

My front blower is a BX2750D. Other models also fit your tractor.

For what it's worth, this is a thread I did for some mods to my shoes.

Later, I also added UHMWP liners to the expanded shoes. The combination has been bulletproof.....Geez, hope I didn't just jinx myself..... 🤔

BX2750D Skid Shoe Modification | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
You haven't mentioned what type or model snowblower you're getting.

Your BX25D is very similar to my BX2360.

My front blower is a BX2750D. Other models also fit your tractor.

For what it's worth, this is a thread I did for some mods to my shoes.

Later, I also added UHMWP liners to the expanded shoes. The combination has been bulletproof.....Geez, hope I didn't just jinx myself..... 🤔

BX2750D Skid Shoe Modification | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota
I’m buying a BX5455HD
There are two versions that fit my tractor that Kubota still makes…the BX5450 (50”) and the BX5455HD (55”) and heavier duty than the 5450. That’s all I know ‘cause I have not seen it…supposed to be assembled on 9/2/21.