BX2750D Skid Shoe Modification

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Never been happy with the shoes on the snowblower for a stone driveway, but they have worked for 3 seasons.

Did a new stone driveway this year. Stone was much smaller than I expected. Concerned the shoes will dig in, and throw it.

Bought an extra set of shoes at $9+ each from Messicks, thinking I might be able to modify them.

I'm thinking a piece of 10ga steel to widen, and maybe lengthen some to the rear. Maybe some 1/8" angle as a frame??

I have a good MIG welder to stitch it together....

The shoe is tucked under the cutting edge, so it cant go too far forward. I think back toward the tractor has some room.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The skids for the BX5455 are cast steel 13 3/4" long and 1 5/8" wide. Looking at your picture they might fit. The only time I have had trouble with the snowblower digging in and throwing gravel was a heavy spring snow after the ground had thawed. My snowblower is buried right now, but I can uncover it tomorrow and take a picture if it will help.

The way a snowblower is cantilevered out front, extending the skid forward would help more to keep it from digging in. Maybe you could just extend the bottom of the skid beyond the cutting edge.

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I saw someone put casters on their blower. Cant remember where I saw it but that seems like it would be a better option.

However... If you can manipulate some type of UHMWPE (think those plastic white cutting boards) into your design, it would fair much better than steel.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My snowblower is buried right now, but I can uncover it tomorrow and take a picture if it will help.

The way a snowblower is cantilevered out front, extending the skid forward would help more to keep it from digging in. Maybe you could just extend the bottom of the skid beyond the cutting edge.
Thanks for the offer, I can probably find a picture on the internet.

I was thinking extending forward a little, too.

eipo - that plastic stuff sounds like a good idea, just not sure how to work it.

The original ones haven't given me any problems in 3 seasons.

Just don't want to find out on first snow it's going to be an issue all winter long.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I did a caster mod on my blower. It worked ok. Thinking of going back to the shoes with a two inch wide plate welded on. The plastic is UHMW, that would be a bolt on option, you would need to support it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Have a piece of 1/8" steel. Maybe extending by the width to the edge, similar on the back side. Not sure how far forward yet.

Thinking of tacking to shoe, then maybe angle along edges, or doubling the thickness??? Also not sure 1/8" is enough. Might need 3/16"......

Not sure yet - - - work in progress.

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The leading and trailing edges of the skids on my BX5455 are angled up like a ski tip. About 2" in each direction raised about 1" to reduce digging in. After two winters there is not any noticeable wear of the steel.

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Larry - thanks so much for the pic!

They're similar to the blower for my JD 425. Traded that for the BX.

Like that design much better than these, but my JD would dig in on thawed stone too, like you said yours did.

I'm formulating a plan to modify the old shoes - I'll keep the new ones in case I screw them up!!:eek:;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think Larry has the idea....extending forward some, but do wider and back, too. Front edge will tuck just behind and under the cutting edge, I hope.;)

Unfortunately, I attached shoe to the sheet metal first, so it's a little bit of a challenge to bend the 6" wide 1/8" steel without a bench vise or a brake!

First time I really wish I had a vise! :(

I think the rear and sides will need a bend, also. I'm thinking of adding an 1/8"x 3/4" band all the way around.

Certainly not the precision work we've seen from many other guys!!:eek::eek:

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Definitely liking Larry's idea, but tucking front of shoe just behind, not in front of cutting edge.

Please don't make fun of my welds. I'm learning.

The first beads were VERY nice, but I got sloppy went I did another pass!:eek:

In the picture under blower, you can see the front edge of the stock shoe on left.

The new plate doesn't meet the contour of the shoe. Will put a filler in there so the extension doesn't bend up into the blower housing.

I will probably paint my addition Kubota Orange. If it falls off, will be easy to see in the snow!!:p:p

Attachments

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Please don't make fun of my welds. I'm learning.

The first beads were VERY nice, but I got sloppy went I did another pass!:eek:
I am still learning to weld also, and I got lots of practice welding on my projects this summer. Weld, grind out the bad weld, weld, grind out the bad weld, weld.... I figure I might as well get some practice welding on a project and grinding out the bad welds rather than just plan practicing.:rolleyes: And if I keep at it long enough I end up with a good weld.:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I banded the bottom of the shoe with 1/8" x 3/4" wide steel. You can see the excess band sticking out on the corners.

Will still need to shape the front and back, and also fix the gap between the leading edge of the stock shoe to the new part. Otherwise, I think it's more apt to bend.

Work in progress.....

Still fits good on the blower, though!

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Looks like it should provide enough flotation. You could also stiffen the original shoe by putting a gusset (or 2) between the vertical part of the original shoe and the rear of the extended shoe.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You could also stiffen the original shoe by putting a gusset (or 2) between the vertical part of the original shoe and the rear of the extended shoe.
I thought about that...

I think the big force will be forward pressure on the front edge of the extended shoe, but not much on the back side...?

I also run the blower up a pretty good slope to get the doggie's potty area, and a back sidewalk.......Might need more support - maybe another 1/8" band down the center, front-to-back.....hmmmm...Maybe a gusset (or two) might be a good idea...

I seldom back up unless lifting the blower, so I figured the slight bend-up on the backside will do it, as long as I have a 1/4" of steel altogether?

Since I want the front tight to the bottom of the blower housing, really need that much more solid.

Thanks, Larry. Appreciate the feedback.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
If you have a loader on our trac you may be able to make the bends with that. I have bent 3/8 flat before

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My welds are VERY embarrassing:eek::eek:, but I'm here to tell ya' I'm very happy with this so far!:D

Again, work in progress, but front end is pretty solid right now. :p

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Working the other shoe.

This time, making the addition to shoe first, then will fix the stock shoe to it.

My welds are sometimes good, sometimes......not so much.....other than embarrassing..:eek:

While my welds are bad, the things I make are making me happy!!:D

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have found that with each project the welding improves. I have also found that my ability to grind out bad welds has improved faster than my welding ability.:rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Working the other shoe.

This time, making the addition to shoe first, then will fix the stock shoe to it.

My welds are sometimes good, sometimes......not so much.....other than embarrassing..:eek:

While my welds are bad, the things I make are making me happy!!:D
The consistent welds will come with practice ;) lots and lots of practice :D Give it some time :D

With mig welders I'm really consistent. But it's taken years to get there. With arc welding, I really have to think about what I'm doing. Then still have to grind it down and start over :rolleyes:

And bear in mind, some of the strongest welds I've seen, looked like hell warmed over :p And some of the prettiest welds failed within minutes.

And there is nothing more satisfying then making something and doing it yourself :D