zd28 Problems

TwistedIron

May 28, 2014
Rogersville, TN, US
I was asked to look at a friends zd28. He said it would only turn one direction and hadn't been run in a year. I got it running but when I try to make it move it shuts off. Not stalls, but shuts off. Like a switch is shutting it down. I checked for a seat switch and it was already bypassed. The parking brake was difficult to release. I had to pull the pedal up manually. I'm thinking its possible it might be stuck on or if there is a switch on the e brake it might be stuck. It's also possible I'm missing something simple that must be done prior to trying to move the machine. Like I said I've never run one before. Please toss out any ideas you have no matter how simple. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are 4 switches that control it, one on each stick and one on the brake or PTO??? can't tell by the pictures and one on the seat.
The switches all go to a control box that then send the signal to the motor.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
There is a switch on the parking brake. If you try to move the machine with the brake locked, it will shut down as you describe. Try jumping that switch to see if it might not be working properly. Make sure you repair all the switches for the operator presence system. I once stepped off of mine with the engine running. A steering lever caught on my pants and the machine threw me to threw ground. Strange things can happen with ZD machines.

TwistedIron

May 28, 2014
Rogersville, TN, US
It wouldn't even crank with the parking brake on but with it off it does so I assume thats not the problem......although seems odd it would not be allowed to crank with the brake engaged. I checked the switches on the control levers and once you pull the levers in over your lap they aren't a factor. They appear to need to be closed by moving the levers out to contact them in order to start. Once running pulling the levers in separate them from the switch all together. I'm pretty sure it's a switch because the engine is being shut off as soon as you wiggle the control lever. Are there any other switches involved? Any other ideas?

There are 4 switches that control it, one on each stick and one on the brake or PTO??? can't tell by the pictures and one on the seat.
The switches all go to a control box that then send the signal to the motor.
There is a switch on the parking brake. If you try to move the machine with the brake locked, it will shut down as you describe. Try jumping that switch to see if it might not be working properly. Make sure you repair all the switches for the operator presence system. I once stepped off of mine with the engine running. A steering lever caught on my pants and the machine threw me to threw ground. Strange things can happen with ZD machines.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
It wouldn't even crank with the parking brake on but with it off it does so I assume thats not the problem......although seems odd it would not be allowed to crank with the brake engaged. I checked the switches on the control levers and once you pull the levers in over your lap they aren't a factor. They appear to need to be closed by moving the levers out to contact them in order to start. Once running pulling the levers in separate them from the switch all together. I'm pretty sure it's a switch because the engine is being shut off as soon as you wiggle the control lever. Are there any other switches involved? Any other ideas?
That is odd that it won't crank with the parking brake on, but then again, who knows what logic is put into that thinking, maybe they don't want it running with you 'off' the machine. My motorcycle won't run with the kickstand down unless the gears are in neutral, otherwise it shuts off the engine instantly. Same kind of thinking I guess.

You could bypass all the interlocks at the engine and just see if it runs correctly. If it does then I'd probably change out all the switches.

TwistedIron

May 28, 2014
Rogersville, TN, US
That is odd that it won't crank with the parking brake on, but then again, who knows what logic is put into that thinking, maybe they don't want it running with you 'off' the machine. My motorcycle won't run with the kickstand down unless the gears are in neutral, otherwise it shuts off the engine instantly. Same kind of thinking I guess.

You could bypass all the interlocks at the engine and just see if it runs correctly. If it does then I'd probably change out all the switches.
I don't see a way to bypass them at the engine. The seat switch runs into a controller which shuts it down. I assume to 2 lever switches and the parking brake one do too. I thought the wire to the seat switch was broke somewhere but I checked it at the controller and it went to ground so it was good. I'm thinking either the controller is bad (doubt it) or I'm missing another switch somewhere.

TwistedIron

May 28, 2014
Rogersville, TN, US
Are the control arms supposed to be out (closing safety switch) when starting? Do the safety switches on control starter? Is there a switch or something that prevents the machine from traveling by shutting down the engine when hydro is engaged?