Your printer won't pick up paper....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have an HP printer that suddenly quit picking up the paper. Kept saying it was out of paper, and it had a stack of 1/2" of paper.

Figured it's time for a new one, but because I'm (a boy) I had to start digging into it to see how it was made and how it might be made into something before it got thrown away.

Found this YouTube video. He explains where the problem is, and shows the simple remedy. Way too simple and probably caused to many printers to be trashed, I'm sure. Just take a quick look (at about 1 min. mark) and when your printer gives up, you might be able to get it going again. One dot of 5 min. epoxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Fwn4hwik

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks D2 I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to clean rollers on old printer. Don't remember what happened to it in the end.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Len!

My HP inkjet is 13 years old and when it goes, I am thinking about going simple laser B&W.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You gotta thank the people who take the time to post these solutions! They have saved me time and money more than once.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I want to keep the old HP working because I can refill the cartridges easily, quickly and inexpensively. $25 of ink will last me years!

Are their new printers that allow the cartridges to be filled?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are printers called ink tank printers (Epson Eco Tank for example) that are refillable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

I am like you. I have been refilling cartridges on this old HP for years. Third party companies make printer tanks for some models that eliminate the standard cartridge and replace it with exterior tanks and a series of hoses to get the ink to the print heads.

I am waiting for regular old tanks the size of printer cartridges that are built into the machine. Problem is, the printer companies make most of their money on replacement cartridges. And, for designs like the HP, the actual print head is part of the cartridge. I had a print head fail on an old Canon (that I still have) and the four color head was as much as the printer. Thankfully, it failed right before the warranty expired.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
It's unfortunate that the manufacturers are getting better at foiling attempts to get longevity and cheap use from their products.
I used to buy wholesale aftermarket replacement ink cartridges and distribute them to a small farming community 25 years ago, before the availability of ebay etc. Back then I had Epson 740, 1160 and others, and I have continued using epson since, buying printers just before, or as they are superceded so that the aftermarket suppliers have had time to make cheap ink for them. The manufacturer is now changing the chips on cartridges even in the same model line to stop the use of aftermarket cartridges. I currently have 3 epsons all using aftermarket, one is 9 years old. The additional thing now is that they are incorporating the waste ink counter pads into the software so that you can't change/reset the ink counter yourself, you have to take to a service agent and pay for the reset and pads, more than a new printer. There are some cracks and hacks online for around $10 to get past this, but I think it's disgraceful that they do this. I have been paying $2 per cartridge delivered for the last 10 years, had I paid the epson price of up to $30 per cartridge, I'd be broke. A blatant ripoff when you buy a printer for $40 and it costs $120 to put 80mls of ink in it!
I had a fantastic little canon printer years ago, it broke the paper pickup drive mechanism, I pulled it apart to find out why, when it ran out of paper, the rubber pickup roller would bind on the tray base exerting huge strain on the mechanism and would break it, a poor design, best don't let your paper run out! I think this could apply to some printers today, so keep your trays full folks, just in case!

Borderdec

Jun 8, 2021
Canada
Yeah, it's unfortunate. My Brother printer has stopped working after 2 years of exploitation. The attempts to repair it failed and I can't even return the money because the warranty has already ended. Sick. The problem was with ink cartridges, but the replacement costs a lot of money. It's better to buy a new printer. I've found at https://www.mrdepot.ca/products/samsung-ML-2165-toner some info about Samsung ML toner and printer, that were highly recommended by my friend. I'm going to have a look at them, but not sure if I want to mess with printers any longer, lol.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
There is something wrong when it's cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the ink.

Replace 4 ink cartridges for color laser printer $400+
Brand new color laser printer $180 delivered

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
There is something wrong when it's cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the ink.

Replace 4 ink cartridges for color laser printer $400+
Brand new color laser printer $180 delivered
Yep, pretty much been that way for a long time. Kodak would sell the camera so cheap you'd thing you couldn't go wrong. Then you had to buy THEIR film forever.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Lots of good tips online to check before you trash old electronics. I have an old HP Photosmart 6520 that rarely got used pre Rona. When I did go to use it, print heads were clogged up. In the past I’d Chuck and buy new. Found a good print head cleaning kit on Amazon and tried that route. Called Best Printers. Put a few drops on the head and let it soak through. Had to do two or three treatments but it works great now. Have to have color for the wife so a simple laser printer is out. Also get 3rd party cartridges from Sotek that are cartridge chip compatible. Prints great and four XL cartridges are less than one HP black cartridge. Worst case when you install the printer says unsupported ink cartridge. Click OK and it works.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've never liked inkjets since they came out, though I made a lot of money fixing them, prefer DMP and LASERs. HP 4's were/are virtually indestructable, easily get 600-750,000 prints from them. Got a 5 in the basement ,coming up 550,000. I have no need for colour,even my 'all-in-one' machine is just a B&W LASER