You know you're in a small town when....

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Majority of heavy traffic is caused by tractors and 4 wheeler type utility vehicles.

Bunker Buster

Equipment
2015 L2501DT
If the UPS driver sees me in town, he'll stop and give me my packages rather than driving out to the house. :D

When I call the the vet or Insurance agent, I just give my first name and they know right away who I am.

I can call the elementary school and tell the lady up front, "this is Kyle's dad" and she knows who I am and which kid I'm calling about.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I was in town and knew a FedEx package was on the way, saw the driver sitting by the side of the road, new driver with a perplexed look on his face, he was on XXX Drive which is in town but it turns to XXX Road when it leave the town limits. I stop and say "Are you looking for me?" gave him my name and he hands me my package. GPS does not work out here.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I lived for a while in NH when I was a little kid. I could pick up the phone and the operator (same lady, I think she worked out of her home) knew everyone. I could ask her to get my mom for me and she would know exactly where she was (hair dresser, market, having tea, wherever). Even left alone at four year old, I was not really alone. Today, my mom would of been arrested!:eek:

Where I am now, the local electric company, the repair man is my neighbor. I have the cell phone number of the one telephone tech. I call them direct, get on the list of jobs, then call it in to the main place. HQ says someone will be out in a day or so (canned response). The tech typically shows up within the hour....:)

I also spent time living just outside of NYC. I'll take living in the middle of no where in a heart beat. Moos are so much better than sirens.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not many moos nearby here. Hear cotote howling some nights.
Used to be the telephone service guy was a friend, same kind of service. As a matter of fact,i called him when i was moving,phones were connected at both houses until i was done.
Was digging up a water line and pulled my power cable to the pumphouse. Called a linesman friend and he had it fixed quicker than i could get to town and back with a bottle of his favorite refreshment.

There are some great people around here.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I call out to the school and say hi. The secretary responds with my name.

UPS guys delivers my personal packages to the office if he is stopping anyway. I ordered 4 tires for my 70 beetle and he stopped to let me know he delivered them at home. He then said to call him if I couldn't find all 4. He hid each tire behind a different building.

You use the store charge for gas at the station, parts at NAPA, and everything else that you buy at the hardware store.

Pharmacy has an early 1900s soda fountain still operational. And of course you don't have to give your name at the bank or pharmacy.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Photo of my Traffic Jam...

Seen that view many times, but on foot.....

I came from a time/place when there were more dairy cows than people. Was the same here for many years.

We drove our 70 cows on a county road to/from a day pasture about 400 yards.

There was an apple orchard there...sometimes the "girls" were a little tipsy coming back....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its sad when you look around and those things everyone has mentioned and we find them disappearing right before our eyes. Like coming home from school on a Friday in the fall and seeing if there what was piled up out side the basement door, and you know you were helping Mom can all weekend. Then we would go to Detroit to visit family,, doors never locked windows open if it rained someone would come in and close them feed the dog water the plants and close the door when they left.
Maybe it was because we never had much growing up that things like that were not a problem like today. And Mom always seemed to know which girl you took to the drive in before you got home, sometimes even before you left :eek:.
Yes I miss my small town, some where it grew up in to a big town and then slowly died along the way

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I live in a 'smaller' town, not quite small. But, my neighborhood feels just like what you all describe. We have 50-80 people each year for our christmas party, mostly neighbors and family. Mind you, we only have an 1100 sq. ft. ranch. Nice and cozy! When we used to go away, the rubbish barrels would be moved back in from the street and put against the garage to not let people know we weren't home. A walk around the block takes a few hours sometimes, because of all the stopping and conversations. We share food and drink often here or at the neighbor's houses. Our mailman gets a container of whatever I happen to be cooking when I see him coming, along with plasticware and napkins. Container usually gets washed and returned within a couple of days. I snowblow (on average) thirteen driveways when it snows. Taking care of the single girls and older neighbors, of course. Of course, on the days that I am working, and I get home after 8 p.m., I usually find either the whole driveway done for me, or just a path, 'cause they know how much I love to play on the tractor. A few towns over, I stopped to put gas in my bike. After a fill up, I hand him my card, and he says, "Oh, we don't take those things here." Thank goodness I always carry cash. Love the feel of a small town. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
There are no secrets in a small town.

After a 3 year application, testing and interview process, one morning I finally got a letter offering me a position. Wife wasn't home, so I didn't tell anyone. Went out to do some errands an hour or two later on the other side of town and the first person I met congratulated me on my new job...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Many years ago, met a buddy at "The Mall" of my Hometown: Post Office and General Store/Diner.

Was helping him on some house projects. Had breakfast first.

The owner-lady asked what I was doing back home; I said for some work, and my wife left with the kids to visit her brother.

Within a week, my grandmother called to ask if I had marriage problems! Her elderly neighbor "Archie" was at table behind me, and just heard the "Wife left" part!

News/gossip travels FAST! :p:p

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The other side of the gossip, someone in the coffee shop mentions someone passing away,when in fact the person is alive and well.
This one particular gentleman has done this several times.
I learned to always consider the source before you hear bad news...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Years ago, I lived in an area where I was related to half of 3 towns. And knew half the county. The rumor mill and grape vine was absolutely ridiculous. Got to the point I would mess with folks and say something random like I was thinking about moving or looking for another job. Then I would sit back and wait.

Usually within a week someone else would mention to me that they heard I was moving or taking another job. The issue was I went from moving across town, to moving to Mexico, Canada, or some other state or country.

Or instead of looking for a different job. It changed to quitting my job :D

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Years ago, I lived in an area where I was related to half of 3 towns. And knew half the county. The rumor mill and grape vine was absolutely ridiculous. Got to the point I would mess with folks and say something random like I was thinking about moving or looking for another job. Then I would sit back and wait.

Usually within a week someone else would mention to me that they heard I was moving or taking another job. The issue was I went from moving across town, to moving to Mexico, Canada, or some other state or country.

Or instead of looking for a different job. It changed to quitting my job :D
Haha... I've done similar things for amusement. Story always changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
Funny story I heard today. One of my co-workers is the treasurer for a small, rural church. As she was preparing the annual giving statements last month, she noticed that an elderly widow had stopped giving during the summer and she didn't recall seeing her in church since then. She asked her husband, who keeps closer track of the community goings-on if she had passed away. He responded, "Yep, she died." So she sent the giving statement to the woman's daughter, who's also a church member.

A couple weeks later, it was announced in church that the old widow had just passed away. She glared at her husband and was glad that she hadn't enclosed a condolence card with the giving statement.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Another one today:

Talked to a contractor to look at pipe/stone along my cellar-way wall for drainage, maybe some wall work.

He doesn't need to ask where I'm located.....:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Old thread, but I started it so I feel allowed to resurrect….😉

There’s a bunch of newer OTT members that might have something to contribute. 😉

We’ve used the same family for garbage pickup since the day we moved in 32+ years ago.

They regularly go where your garbage cans are located, even if it’s behind the house. Great service and I appreciate it when I’m not home.

I’m one of the few customers that regularly goes out roadside to throw our garbage in the compactor truck for them.

There’s usually one family member on the truck. Been a 60+/- year old gal driving last couple years.

Saves her the trouble of getting it herself and they’ve always been appreciative of the help.

Bigger commercial or municipal haulers would probably not allow such a thing.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RCW, need to be careful with situations like you describe. We had the same mom/pop/family trash haulers for over 30 years for two different locations. At some point the small co. was bought out by the trash mafia WM. They send a picture on my email showing some trash outside the tote and the lid not able to shut down and charged $90 each event.

When I told them to cancel my service they said I had to pay to release me from their contract. Didn't know I had a contract and asked for evidence. Turns out I have to pay the average monthly fee of the last year for 12 months to be released from the contract.

The lesson to learn, the contract was in very small writing on one of the monthly invoices for the mom/pop/family business, at the very bottom for one month and had never been there before. My wife pays a bill just before it's a bill and she just paid the amount since we'd been doing it for years. They do that so when they go to sell the business they have evidence and contracts for x amount of accounts which nets them more money!!!!

Reactions: 1 user