You into RC?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I've been dabbling in it. There is a plane in a community not far from here. They call the plane The Spirit Of Harbour Grace. It was donated to that community by a friend of mine who also happens to own the only Kubota dealership on the island. Anyway I wanted to do a DC-3 like the Spirit Of Harbour Grace so I did. This past summer they changed her colors to blue so I did it the same.
http://www.hrgrace.ca/spiri.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TMcZcJHmY&feature=plcp

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I gather you built this plane from a kit?

And just curious how long does it take you to dust the man cave well all the items you've restored? That room of your garage is always spotless and clean.

maj_primate

Equipment
B6100 HST
Jan 6, 2013
Summerfield Florida
Music selection on the video was great.
Are your days longer than 24 hours up there? You accomplish an awful lot for one man, and always with great attention to detail. My hats off to you. Tom

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I have thought about getting into RC planes, but never serious enough to get started. The local RC flying club field is next to my property, and someone is always flying something there on the weekends, some of them are very nice planes.
I know they are not cheap, and I bet there is at least a couple thousand dollars worth of parts hanging in the trees behind me. I've seen a couple of big ones get away from them, but I like watching them especially when they have a fly-in there's usually 5 in the air at once.

Wildfire

Equipment
I gather you built this plane from a kit?

Yup. It was a kit with a few modifications.

And just curious how long does it take you to dust the man cave well all the items you've restored? That room of your garage is always spotless and clean.
I dust once or twice a year and its not really dusting but more in the line of waxing. The collection is pretty well in a dust free envoirment. There's no work performed in that building and everything in there is just for display. The building is a separate building from my working shop.

Music selection on the video was great.
Are your days longer than 24 hours up there? You accomplish an awful lot for one man, and always with great attention to detail. My hats off to you. Tom
Thanks Tom. Well I do punch some very long days between running the shop and then doing my own personal projects. That being said I can get a lot out of a day because I seldom get more than 4-5 hours per night. I even manage to get an hour every other day in the gym lol. Glad you enjoyed the song in the video. It took me hours to find something that would fit in that video slot.
Cheers. Paul

I have thought about getting into RC planes, but never serious enough to get started. The local RC flying club field is next to my property, and someone is always flying something there on the weekends, some of them are very nice planes.
I know they are not cheap, and I bet there is at least a couple thousand dollars worth of parts hanging in the trees behind me. I've seen a couple of big ones get away from them, but I like watching them especially when they have a fly-in there's usually 5 in the air at once.
I used to be into the RC stuff years ago. Back then everything was gas powered. It was unreliable and messy. Now everything I have is electric and its reliable with no mess. I have helicopters as well and I do enjoy the RC hobby but your right in saying that its expensive. These things can go full gps and if equipped you can have a plane take off on its own or if the plane goes out of range it be taken over automatically and return to the point it left and even land on its own. It's a much different sport/hobby than it was 10 years ago.

This is where the collection is stored.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've been dabbling in it.

I didn't know you were a comedian as well.

If your man cave is a result of just dabbling I guess you will need a 150' x 300' building when you find a full blown hobby...lol

Very nice my friend. I really hate to even put a pic of mine on here now.

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
I didn't know you were a comedian as well.

If your man cave is a result of just dabbling I guess you will need a 150' x 300' building when you find a full blown hobby...lol

Very nice my friend. I really hate to even put a pic of mine on here now.
:D ya I guess I should have used another word other than "dabble" lol. Even my wifey caught me on that one :rolleyes:

Very cool RC truck. I bet that thing can fly! I don't have any RC four wheelers (yet) :eek: but I could see one or two sneaking into the collection at some point.

The man cave which I call "Gasoline Alley" started back in 1999 after a friend of mine from Iowa gave me a small 6" die cast gas pump to add to my die cast and pressed steel truck collection. One evening after a long days work I was sitting in my office and looked up at that little pump on display and wondered if I could fabricate one like it but as a display case.
Well I did and that started a ten year love affair with restoring old stuff that I would find and drag home. After awhile I had so much of it restored it was in my way so I decided to sell it but to my surprise Mr. Wildfire said she loved the stuff so we had a new building built to house the collection in just across from the main shop.
We get many visitors during the summer months dropping by to see it. I'd like to see what others collect so if you collect post some photos. Anything goes.
They say if you have more than two of the same type of item then your a collector :)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Wildfire, I have 2 of those and they are pretty fast for their weight. Almost 25 lbs and run around 50 mph. They have 23cc 2 stroke engines so it sounds like duelling weedeaters on steroids.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
As for being a collector I have been collecing die cast farm toys since I was a kid. Mostly tractors. Kubota toys are hard to come by but the first one I had was an L2850. But I do have alot of other unusual nicknacks and junk that I seem to hang onto for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire, I have 2 of those and they are pretty fast for their weight. Almost 25 lbs and run around 50 mph. They have 23cc 2 stroke engines so it sounds like duelling weedeaters on steroids.
Very cool. I bet they move out like something just released from Hell. The kid down the road got something RC that's nitro and man it makes some noise. cool though :D

Tactical manoeuvre to rescue an RC air plan out of a tree! This is pretty awesome! Thought you fellas might enjoy this video as well.

http://www.flixxy.com/helicopter-pilot-fishes-rc-plane-from-tree.htm#.UOpgPm88CSp
Now that was super cool!

As for being a collector I have been collecing die cast farm toys since I was a kid. Mostly tractors. Kubota toys are hard to come by but the first one I had was an L2850. But I do have alot of other unusual nicknacks and junk that I seem to hang onto for no apparent reason.
You just had to go and mention die cast :mad: I got hundreds of die cast and pressed steel vehicles in my collection. The three tractors you see in one of the photos all have actual working steel tracks and are salesman samples.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Love rc planes. Most fun of anything I've ever done. It's so varied, you can sit in a chair, fly and sip tea at the same time with a Sig Kadet or race at 120 mph 20 ft off the deck. Talk about getting your heartbeat up, "yeee doggies". Haven't flown in 15 years but still have 12 planes, 4 radios and all the goodies. Even have one plane with rocket assist takeoff, 3 bomb racks, 4 rocket launchers , a parachute pig and smoke trail.

Wildfire

Equipment
I LOVE that B model Mack wrecker! That is pretty awesome and highly detailed.
I ordered that right from the Mack factory about ten years ago. It's very detailed.
Love rc planes. Most fun of anything I've ever done. It's so varied, you can sit in a chair, fly and sip tea at the same time with a Sig Kadet or race at 120 mph 20 ft off the deck. Talk about getting your heartbeat up, "yeee doggies". Haven't flown in 15 years but still have 12 planes, 4 radios and all the goodies. Even have one plane with rocket assist takeoff, 3 bomb racks, 4 rocket launchers , a parachute pig and smoke trail.
Man that's cool. Pictures?
Well yesterday I was at our local Kubota dealership and while I was leaving one of the guys yelled out "Paul"! Then he came over and gave me one of those Kubota mailboxes. We don't have mail delivery so now I'm customizing it to add to our collection. To cold outside to do much of anything.