YES!!!...Just buy that damn thing....One more good reason to buy a back hoe......

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
And the endless debate rages on...

Those that say a BH is a waste of money are probably right -- they shouldn't buy one.

Those that frequently say a backhoe would be real handy about now, I should buy one are probably right -- they should buy one. Like DustyRusty pointed out, you can't really save up dead dogs. I'll add it's a cast-iron b!+¢# to bury one with a shovel in frozen ground, too.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When my first dog died, I was in the hospital and had a neighbor hand-dig a hole to bury her. When I moved, I was going to dig up her remains, and bring her with me, but couldn't find exactly where she was buried. When my second dog passed away, I dug the ole with my backhoe, and I know approximately where she is, but then came all the rest, and one at a time I put them into the ground side by side, but not exactly. When the last one passed 4 years ago, she was the last in the pet cemetery. I know where she is because the ground has settled and there is a depression. I also used a rented backhoe to dig up the electrical service when I added a new garage next to the old one where the original electrical service came into the home. You never know when you are going to need the backhoe, and I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. This is why I purchased a BX23S. It does what I need when I need it, and the price wasn't outrageous. It is a tool just like my wood chipper, or my 1/2" drive ratchet set.
Are you sure that you are not too old to still use a backhoe? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have had a B/H since 1985 and could not survive without it. I ordered my new tractor last fall with a B/H as well. The picture shows me building my shop in 2014 with the B7200. Used it for all excavation work including septic and field drainage work.
P1060290.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Over the years I have owned several back hoes. I have had a couple three point hoes, a couple tractors with built in hoes and a couple hoes that fit skid loaders and a couple portable back hoes. Most of the time had them around for a larger job. Someone always comes along and offers me way more money than I have in them so I sell them. Haven't had a hoe probably in five plus year now on the farm. Last time needed one to do some footing on a poured concrete ditch crossing. Guy that rents some pasture from me has a Ditch Witch with a hoe on it. He dug the footing and poured the crossing for me. I wouldn't mind a mini but at my age I probably won't tie up the money in one. Not that I don't have too many tractors around but I hate hooking equipment up. Planter is still hooked up from spring sitting in the shed. Probably won't unhook it until fall and we put the grain cart on that tractor. We all like our tools and if you like you back hoe enjoy it. You only live once and its only money.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
As previous posters have noted if you need one there are few substitutes. That said my 1st 2 Kubotas both had BH's. When I was shopping for my current tractor I definitely did not want one. My uses required a bucket / tootbar, grapple and several 3pt implements.
Now that we have moved, yes there is one project I could use a BH. I need to put in a 60' French drain. I'm pretty confident I can do the job with my stump buscket though.

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
I have a B77 on my B2650 and use it all the time. I see on another forum I frequent where guys will always advise against backhoe attachments. Frequently they'll say save up your digging jobs and rent a mini ex once a year. There's a lot of flaws to that thinking though. There's a lot of jobs that can't be saved up. A whole lot of things I do with my backhoe, if I didn't have it I'd either just not do the job at all or I'd have to do it the hard way.

We've been in the middle of a house build for the past year. My backhoe has come in handy for lots of things along the way. Some of those would have been better served with a bigger machine for sure, but I have the backhoe, so I used it.

We're reusing an existing septic system, and before we started anything I had to hunt for and dig up the tank.

Here I used it for digging for the footers for the attached garage.

Here I used the backhoe inside the building to dig for the undergrounds. Would have done it by hand otherwise, but it was nice to have.

This was digging the line to the septic from the new house.

The material you dug through looks like it is very structurally sound! I would think it was quite the test for your machine, or any machine for that matter. It is cool to see people use the backhoe for what it was intended.

Doug

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
The material you dug through looks like it is very structurally sound! I would think it was quite the test for your machine, or any machine for that matter. It is cool to see people use the backhoe for what it was intended.

Doug
I've used my backhoe for a lot of stuff, but most commonly drainage projects where I'm digging in clay. When my builder asked me if I could dig those garage footers, I really didn't know what to expect. Told him I'd give it a shot, but that shale might be a bit much for it. But it dug through it no problem at all. That shale flakes easily. The backhoe didn't hesitate at all, and you can seen in the discard pile to the side how well it all broke apart.

Same deal when digging the line to the septic tank, it looks like it would be pretty arduous, but the backhoe handled it very well.

ETA: This is the backhoe on the website's background. I almost forgot they used my pics when they revamped the website. :)

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Couldn’t live without my little hoe 😅

IMG_1653.jpeg

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560LE, Grapple, bucket, snow plow, forks, stump bucket
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
IMG_5631.jpeg

I have thought about getting a backhoe but have come to the conclusion that the amount of granite and granite ledges will really defeat any backhoe/tractor combo that I could afford. I have an L3560.

In order to put the foundation in for the garage and the house, it had to be blasted. The granite rock you see in the foreground was blasted out. You can see all the granite that was left behind. The excavator company used granite rocks from the blasting to build the 500c ft. Road. All I can say is there was a lot of rock generated from the blasting.

the granite rock you see my wife standing next to weighs around 14,000 pounds. There are several of those on our property as there are granite ledge outcroppings. My wife is standing on one of many outcroppings on the property. Granite is 170 pounds/cubic ft.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
View attachment 106832
I have thought about getting a backhoe but have come to the conclusion that the amount of granite and granite ledges will really defeat any backhoe/tractor combo that I could afford.
Actually what that means to me is that you have a perfect reason to buy dynamite and blasting caps!!!!!

OMG, the fun I would have with dynamite and a backhoe!!!!!:D(y)🍻

It would be like Christmas everyday.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am one of the love my backhoe crowd. I never regretted buying it and I got a lot of use out of it over the years. Then a couple years ago I bought a old mini ex with about the same digging capabilities as my backhoe.

No comparison! I love the mini ex and have not used the backhoe since I got the mini ex. I still can’t part with the backhoe, though.

I just love not having to deal with outriggers and being able to swing 360° to dump the spoils wherever I want. And the other things you can do with this capability.

So I say backhoe now, mini X later!

Reactions: 2 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Don't have one but sure can see how it would be very useful.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am one of the love my backhoe crowd. I never regretted buying it and I got a lot of use out of it over the years. Then a couple years ago I bought a old mini ex with about the same digging capabilities as my backhoe.

No comparison! I love the mini ex and have not used the backhoe since I got the mini ex. I still can’t part with the backhoe, though.

I just love not having to deal with outriggers and being able to swing 360° to dump the spoils wherever I want. And the other things you can do with this capability.

So I say backhoe now, mini X later!
I couldn't agree more.

I rented a mini-ex about 3 years ago and it was fun and the 360 swing was awesome.

Still love my little hoe though.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I couldn't agree more.

I rented a mini-ex about 3 years ago and it was fun and the 360 swing was awesome.

Still love my little hoe though.
As has oft been said:
A backhoe is the Swiss army knife of equipment.
The mini-ex is nice, but a one trick pony!
BTW: What is "a dog faced pony soldier" anyway ? :ROFLMAO: