Woodland Mills WC-68 or WoodMaxx TM-8H or WoodMaxx WM-8H

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
So do you feel like the 8H model is worth the extra $500? I can deal with $500 when I'm spending $2500 to start with. I can't deal with the wishing I'd already spent the $500 for a better machine.

I'm looking for flexibility (able to handle larger horsepower as a resale point, feed rate as a protection for my tractor, etc, etc.) and don't mind paying more for better usefulness and quality. I'm not unfamiliar with chippers. I've had a little mini-chipper (3" Murray) since 2005. I've run a LOT of brush through that little critter. And one of my specialties in my job has been industrial chippers (paper mills) up to 5000 HP. You ain't seen a chipper until you see a chipper that can make a 60 foot white oak tree disappear in 6 seconds. It leaves an impression.
The 8H with the hydraulic feed might help when chipping larger stuff as you can slow the feed rate. So for a lower HP tractor it might be worth the extra $500.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've been using the WC68 on my B2650 (same as LX2610) for 2 1/2 years. I find it a great match for my tractor and needs. Wood over 6' diameter goes for firewood, all the rest the chipper handles absolutely great! The 3-point handles it's 900# or so easily. Infeed speed adjustment is a little sensitive but I'm used to it.
I would totally recommend the WC68 for your B2610, and would not recommend going any bigger or heavier. I confirmed my order and it was at the end of my driveway in 5 days for me to fork off the delivery truck with the tractor. Follow assembly directions and it goes together flawlessly.
Thanks for the input. I think I've got it narrowed down to the Woodland Mills WC-68 or the WoodMaxx WM-8H. Apparently both are Chinese knockoffs, but well made just the same. Seems unavoidable these days, and it's only gonna get worse. What I like about the WM-8H is the low, flat chute angle making it possible to feed in the end of a long tree by myself. The WM-8H has both rolls driven, so it's kinda got my preference for infeed. But, I do like the looks of the clam-shell housing on the WC-68, though. That's got to be a lot easier when it's plugged up.

Our tractors are very similar, but I'm thinking they jacked the hydraulic pressure up just a bit in the LX and put a slightly larger cylinder on the 3 point. Probably about like the difference in the LA534 and LA535, though. Not enough to write home about and I'd have to sit down and line-by-line compare the differences to find out what was who in which department of better things that actually make a difference. However, your recommendation makes me more comfortable about getting an 8" chipper. I think the LX is going to be just fine with the big chipper if I mind my manners with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The Canadian company, ships their Chinese made products to America VIA their Buffalo NY depot.

I could see where the confusion comes in when they call themselves,
Woodland Mills USA
171 North Port Rd Port Perry, ON, Canada, L9L 1B2
+1 855-476-6455
Yeah, that might just be a little misleading, but I'm sure there's some fine print somewhere to protect them from trade acts and lawyers. Perhaps touting AMERICAN knives in the adverts might have a little to do with it as well. With some American content, it would certainly avoid some tariff and import regulations, while the "Made in America" content would probably be less than 5% of the value of the equipment. Not my first rodeo with that problem either.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I've also been looking at the WoodMaxx WM-8H for a B2601. I noticed they're out of stock right now, and there is no way to pre-order on their website.

Can anyone confirm that the 990lb spec is the shipping weight? That's what it says in their "quick specifications", but it also says 990lb in the comparison chart, which I figured would be the machine weight.
I'd like to know how much the machine weighs. I'm also guessing that the hydraulic tank comes empty? So that 7 gallons makes another 50-75lb?

Then the very last question is if shipping includes a liftgate, or if I need to wager that my tractor can get a 990lb pallet off of the back of a truck.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've also been looking at the WoodMaxx WM-8H for a B2601. I noticed they're out of stock right now, and there is no way to pre-order on their website.

Can anyone confirm that the 990lb spec is the shipping weight? That's what it says in their "quick specifications", but it also says 990lb in the comparison chart, which I figured would be the machine weight.
I'd like to know how much the machine weighs. I'm also guessing that the hydraulic tank comes empty? So that 7 gallons makes another 50-75lb?

Then the very last question is if shipping includes a liftgate, or if I need to wager that my tractor can get a 990lb pallet off of the back of a truck.
Check your loader spec, but I'm thinking you'll be OK. Just make sure to have your heaviest attachment on the back for ballast when you unload it, and I hope your tires are filled too.

Operating weight is still just under 1000 lbs. If 30 pounds is make or break, all I can say is pick up some more ballast. IIRC, you have the LA534 FEL, right? Pretty sure it'll pick it up OK. Your 3 point hitch should be more than capable of picking it up, but you're probably going to want some ballast in the bucket to move it so you can keep the front wheels on the ground. Your FEL might be enough counterweight, but I'd load the bucket with rocks or something just for grins and giggles. It should be lowered to the ground to use it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it going anywhere while you're stuffing it with limbs. I'd probably still pick up the front wheels a couple inches with the FEL while it's running just for a little added stability. The LX2610SU has quite a bit of weight advantage on the B2601, but this is a BIG chipper with a lot of inertia.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Check your loader spec, but I'm thinking you'll be OK. Just make sure to have your heaviest attachment on the back for ballast when you unload it, and I hope your tires are filled too.

Operating weight is still just under 1000 lbs. If 30 pounds is make or break, all I can say is pick up some more ballast. IIRC, you have the LA534 FEL, right? Pretty sure it'll pick it up OK. Your 3 point hitch should be more than capable of picking it up, but you're probably going to want some ballast in the bucket to move it so you can keep the front wheels on the ground. Your FEL might be enough counterweight, but I'd load the bucket with rocks or something just for grins and giggles. It should be lowered to the ground to use it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it going anywhere while you're stuffing it with limbs. I'd probably still pick up the front wheels a couple inches with the FEL while it's running just for a little added stability. The LX2610SU has quite a bit of weight advantage on the B2601, but this is a BIG chipper with a lot of inertia.
I lifted a Woodmaxx 9900 from my pick up (same weight) with my L3901 with a LA525 using a set of UA 42” pallet forks, chipper on a pallet. The loader is at its very maximum capacity and will only lift with revs very high. I could only lift it a couple of inches, I consider it dangerous, I don’t move the tractor but have some one drive my truck slowly forward then lower the chipper to the floor. My recommendation is lift gate or a bigger machine to unload it if you order one.

I see the LX has a LA535 loader, that has even less capacity than my LA525, based on what I see you will not be able to unload a 1,000lb chipper from a truck with your loader, remember you first need to consider the weight of your forks.

I make sure the fly wheel end of the chipper is closest to the tractor to try to get as much weight as possible as close to the pins. My L3200 and my L3901 carry and operate my 1,000 lbs chipper really well on the 3pt hitch and there is no need to lift or load it unless you leave the property. I solved the load and unload issue when I want it at my main home property by just having the chipper attached to the tractor when I load both on my tilt equipment trailer.

I read the comment about “access to clear when it’s plugged up” I’m 3 years in of hard use, there is no plugged up, the Woodmaxx with double infeed rollers and variable infeed speed is a beast, you will be shocked to see it self feed 20’ of 4” tree all day long.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I lifted a Woodmaxx 9900 from my pick up (same weight) with my L3901 with a LA525 using a set of UA 42” pallet forks, chipper on a pallet. The loader is at its very maximum capacity and will only lift with revs very high. I could only lift it a couple of inches, I consider it dangerous, I don’t move the tractor but have some one drive my truck slowly forward then lower the chipper to the floor. My recommendation is lift gate or a bigger machine to unload it if you order one.

I see the LX has a LA535 loader, that has even less capacity than my LA525, based on what I see you will not be able to unload a 1,000lb chipper from a truck with your loader, remember you first need to consider the weight of your forks.

I make sure the fly wheel end of the chipper is closest to the tractor to try to get as much weight as possible as close to the pins. My L3200 and my L3901 carry and operate my 1,000 lbs chipper really well on the 3pt hitch and there is no need to lift or load it unless you leave the property. I solved the load and unload issue when I want it at my main home property by just having the chipper attached to the tractor when I load both on my tilt equipment trailer.

I read the comment about “access to clear when it’s plugged up” I’m 3 years in of hard use, there is no plugged up, the Woodmaxx with double infeed rollers and variable infeed speed is a beast, you will be shocked to see it self feed 20’ of 4” tree all day long.
Again, thanks for more input.

The numbers on the Kubota FEL's are supposed to be it's lifting capacity, i.e., 535kg, at the bucket pivot pins on the boom. Obviously, these are marketing numbers, and most of the lifting capacity will be determined by the max pressure of the pump on the tractor and position of the boom, yada yada yada. The lifting capacity is not linear as the boom goes up either because of the changing angle of the boom cylinder through the lift path. I think I saw this on one of Messick's videos, but I'll just refer to my LA535 owners manual. I'm thinking that the number may actually mean how much it can lift at the point where the lift cylinder attaches to the boom. Or, maybe the book is compensating for the weight of the SSQA, but i seriously doubt it weighs 100Kg. Dunno. The more the cylinders are extended, the less it can lift, and also the more danger of a cylinder buckling. I could probably do the cipherin' and gazintas and calclulate the actual lift capacity with a little geometry based on measured pump pressure, but I'll just reference my OM's and allow myself a little fudge factor.

My bucket isn't very heavy (80Kg) if it's a 54" bucket. I don't remember if I've measured it, but it doesn't look 4-1/2 feet wide or any wider than my 48" box blade, but like I said, can't say I've actually measured it or I've slept twice since I did. I was able to roll it over with two bad shoulders (rotator cuff surgery on both) when I was drilling the holes for the grab hooks and D-rings. I located the grab hooks and d-rings as close as possible to the pivot pins. That allows me to use max lifting capacity of the boom without the bucket interfering (other than it's own weight). At the pivot pins, according to the FEL manual, it can lift 465 Kg/1067 lbs. Maybe it should be called an LA464 ;).

Lifting with a fork would shift the weight at least a foot forward of the pins, and besides that, I don't have a fork anyway. I'm pretty sure I couldn't lift it with forks at all. The tables for the FEL show lift capacity at 500mm forward of the pins to be 769 lbs (349Kg). When I roll my bucket fully forward, my d-rings are actually about 4-6" behind the bucket pivot pins (advantage) and the grab hooks are about 10 inches forward of the pivot pin(disadvantage). This should center the load about 2 inches forward of the pivots assuming I can reach high enough to lift from the top. I think I might even be able to route my chain from the grab hooks around the back side of the bucket, which would shorten up the moment arm even more and actually put the centerline of the load behind the pivot pins of the bucket. There's always the option of removing the bucket to lose the weight (80Kg/176 lbs) which gives me max lifting capacity of the boom. I'd have to study the boom some to make sure I don't hurt anything using that tactic.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, and I aced Statics and Dynamics courses in college, so I understand levers and loads pretty good. If I use the same technique you did (lift the load and drive the vehicle out from under it), I'm happy. If I can't lift it as packaged, I'll drag a trailer nearby, unload the loose parts from the crate (if the driver will allow me to disassemble the package on his truck) and skinny up the load a little. There's more ways to skin a cat besides jerking his a$$hole over his head, but that's also an acceptable method for involuntary disrobing of felines. There's probably at least 150-200 lbs of materials that can be removed fairly quickly from the crate with a WM-8H. I'll be at limit, but I'm smarter than a crate. The crate is nearly 120 lbs of the ship weight because of the steel in it. All I need is a patient driver. If it's on a truck with a lift gate, I got this! I'll drag it off onto some timbers so I can lighten the load to move it, or turn around and grab it with the 3-point quick hitch. The 3 point hitch on the LX2610 is good for 970 Kg/2139 lbs at the lift points and 760 Kg/1676 lbs 24" back from that. I"m assuming that's in the holes closest to the pivots for the lift arms. Bet I can move it. I'm certainly stubborn enough to.

I'm still in the break-in period on my LX (<20 hours on the clock), so I try not to run it over 2000-2100 RPM leaving myself a 400-500 RPM buffer. I can't imagine the pump not making full pressure at 2000. I've lifted the back end of the tractor a few times if I got a bite with the bucket on something it couldn't move(lifting on a stump). I don't make a habit of that, though, and will claim it was part of my learning curve with an FEL. That'll make ya pucker up a bit, and it's extremely dangerous for the FEL boom.

Lifting capacity is all about keeping the load centerline as close as possible to the fulcrum and the first point in contact with the ground, having the muscle to lift it, and finally the ballast to keep the other end on the ground. Worse come to worst, I can have it delivered to our shop at work where we have a lovely little 5000 lb forklift waiting, and use that to transfer it to my trailer. Me no dummy. I'll know exactly how much I have to lift before I give a delivery address. I don't have a nosey manager at the office now (Ding Dong, the witch is dead!), so that makes it even easier to get 'government' projects done.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Just want to add another thumbs up for woodland mills here. One of the best companies I have ever done business with. Super friendly on the phone, you can tell they are a small outfit and care a lot about their customers. They run a big facebook group called for woodland mills product owners and there are tons of posts in there all the time from mill owners and chipper owners. You may find lots of info in that group if you joined from hundreds who own the product. Woodland Mills as a company though have a very strong reputation among the rural community. I would lean toward them for sure just to put my business behind their attention to customer support and feedback. I own the stump grinder (WG24) and it has been 100% solid.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Old Paint, delivery to work and then take home on the trailer is a great solution, I do it all the time. Then you will have all the time you want to get it off the trailer. Trailer is much lower than big truck bed. Good luck with your new chipper.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

My B2650 / LA534 loader with pallet forks unloaded the crated WM68 chipper out from the semitrailer deck back door (no lift on the semi) without an issue.

I have my BB1560 box blade (about 475#) on the 3-point for ballast. NO filled tires. That is enough ballast for my B2650 to lift to its maximum load capacity (~1100# @ pins) and still keep the rear tires solid on the ground.

Always have the 4wd engaged and in 1st gear when moving heavier things with the loader/forks. Any bouncy terrain or down sloping of the ground, while moving a big load, can allow the rear tires to lose traction. If you're heading down a slope with that load, that's BAD news unless the front wheels are engaged in 4wd, even with the ballast on back.

With the chipper on the 3-point, and raised up, the FEL has plenty of weight to keep the front wheels ground and well engaged, without adding any extra weight to the front.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Th LX261HSD specs match almost exactly my B2650HSD.

It will unload the crated WC68 from the semi deck.

Put weight on the rear for ballast. My BB1560 is plenty.

Hold tight to the loader lever as you operate the forklift for loading/unloading. These valves are jumpy, and can move in a jolt from neutral when pressure is applied to the stick - I hold it with 2 hands to "finesse" the transition from off to opening flow so the load doesn't jump. It's a pain to make these controller valves open slowly for fine motion control, especially if your right rotator cuff has been thoroughly abused!

And my tractor was less than 50 hours when the chipper arrived, and so I kept the rpms to 2000 or less, and the loader handled the chipper load fine.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My B2650 / LA534 loader with pallet forks unloaded the crated WM68 chipper out from the semitrailer deck back door (no lift on the semi) without an issue.

I have my BB1560 box blade (about 475#) on the 3-point for ballast. NO filled tires. That is enough ballast for my B2650 to lift to its maximum load capacity (~1100# @ pins) and still keep the rear tires solid on the ground.

Always have the 4wd engaged and in 1st gear when moving heavier things with the loader/forks. Any bouncy terrain or down sloping of the ground, while moving a big load, can allow the rear tires to lose traction. If you're heading down a slope with that load, that's BAD news unless the front wheels are engaged in 4wd, even with the ballast on back.

With the chipper on the 3-point, and raised up, the FEL has plenty of weight to keep the front wheels ground and well engaged, without adding any extra weight to the front.
Yeah, it'll be close, but I think I'll be OK. I think the WM-8H is a bit heavier than the WC-68. Need to look again, but neither is going to be a problem on the back. The only time I should be moving it with the loader is unloading it from the truck when it gets here. After that, it can ride anywhere it needs to go on the back.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Again, thanks for more input.

The numbers on the Kubota FEL's are supposed to be it's lifting capacity, i.e., 535kg, at the bucket pivot pins on the boom. Obviously, these are marketing numbers, and most of the lifting capacity will be determined by the max pressure of the pump on the tractor and position of the boom, yada yada yada. The lifting capacity is not linear as the boom goes up either because of the changing angle of the boom cylinder through the lift path. I think I saw this on one of Messick's videos, but I'll just refer to my LA535 owners manual. I'm thinking that the number may actually mean how much it can lift at the point where the lift cylinder attaches to the boom. Or, maybe the book is compensating for the weight of the SSQA, but i seriously doubt it weighs 100Kg. Dunno. The more the cylinders are extended, the less it can lift, and also the more danger of a cylinder buckling. I could probably do the cipherin' and gazintas and calclulate the actual lift capacity with a little geometry based on measured pump pressure, but I'll just reference my OM's and allow myself a little fudge factor.

My bucket isn't very heavy (80Kg) if it's a 54" bucket. I don't remember if I've measured it, but it doesn't look 4-1/2 feet wide or any wider than my 48" box blade, but like I said, can't say I've actually measured it or I've slept twice since I did. I was able to roll it over with two bad shoulders (rotator cuff surgery on both) when I was drilling the holes for the grab hooks and D-rings. I located the grab hooks and d-rings as close as possible to the pivot pins. That allows me to use max lifting capacity of the boom without the bucket interfering (other than it's own weight). At the pivot pins, according to the FEL manual, it can lift 465 Kg/1067 lbs. Maybe it should be called an LA464 ;).

Lifting with a fork would shift the weight at least a foot forward of the pins, and besides that, I don't have a fork anyway. I'm pretty sure I couldn't lift it with forks at all. The tables for the FEL show lift capacity at 500mm forward of the pins to be 769 lbs (349Kg). When I roll my bucket fully forward, my d-rings are actually about 4-6" behind the bucket pivot pins (advantage) and the grab hooks are about 10 inches forward of the pivot pin(disadvantage). This should center the load about 2 inches forward of the pivots assuming I can reach high enough to lift from the top. I think I might even be able to route my chain from the grab hooks around the back side of the bucket, which would shorten up the moment arm even more and actually put the centerline of the load behind the pivot pins of the bucket. There's always the option of removing the bucket to lose the weight (80Kg/176 lbs) which gives me max lifting capacity of the boom. I'd have to study the boom some to make sure I don't hurt anything using that tactic.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, and I aced Statics and Dynamics courses in college, so I understand levers and loads pretty good. If I use the same technique you did (lift the load and drive the vehicle out from under it), I'm happy. If I can't lift it as packaged, I'll drag a trailer nearby, unload the loose parts from the crate (if the driver will allow me to disassemble the package on his truck) and skinny up the load a little. There's more ways to skin a cat besides jerking his a$$hole over his head, but that's also an acceptable method for involuntary disrobing of felines. There's probably at least 150-200 lbs of materials that can be removed fairly quickly from the crate with a WM-8H. I'll be at limit, but I'm smarter than a crate. The crate is nearly 120 lbs of the ship weight because of the steel in it. All I need is a patient driver. If it's on a truck with a lift gate, I got this! I'll drag it off onto some timbers so I can lighten the load to move it, or turn around and grab it with the 3-point quick hitch. The 3 point hitch on the LX2610 is good for 970 Kg/2139 lbs at the lift points and 760 Kg/1676 lbs 24" back from that. I"m assuming that's in the holes closest to the pivots for the lift arms. Bet I can move it. I'm certainly stubborn enough to.

I'm still in the break-in period on my LX (<20 hours on the clock), so I try not to run it over 2000-2100 RPM leaving myself a 400-500 RPM buffer. I can't imagine the pump not making full pressure at 2000. I've lifted the back end of the tractor a few times if I got a bite with the bucket on something it couldn't move(lifting on a stump). I don't make a habit of that, though, and will claim it was part of my learning curve with an FEL. That'll make ya pucker up a bit, and it's extremely dangerous for the FEL boom.

Lifting capacity is all about keeping the load centerline as close as possible to the fulcrum and the first point in contact with the ground, having the muscle to lift it, and finally the ballast to keep the other end on the ground. Worse come to worst, I can have it delivered to our shop at work where we have a lovely little 5000 lb forklift waiting, and use that to transfer it to my trailer. Me no dummy. I'll know exactly how much I have to lift before I give a delivery address. I don't have a nosey manager at the office now (Ding Dong, the witch is dead!), so that makes it even easier to get 'government' projects done.
This isn’t an engineer answer but just FYI, when I ordered my WC-68 it automatically shipped with lift gate service. No extra $300 charge for tailgate service; included in price of the chipper. Only caveat was the delivery address had to accommodate a tractor trailer. It was delivered on a 53’ van trailer with lift gate. Driver called right before he arrived, stopped on our sleepy little road and I pulled it off with forks on the tractor because it was just easier on the driver and well within my loader capacity. That wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me, but delivery may be simpler than it seems.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
This isn’t an engineer answer but just FYI, when I ordered my WC-68 it automatically shipped with lift gate service. No extra $300 charge for tailgate service; included in price of the chipper. Only caveat was the delivery address had to accommodate a tractor trailer. It was delivered on a 53’ van trailer with lift gate. Driver called right before he arrived, stopped on our sleepy little road and I pulled it off with forks on the tractor because it was just easier on the driver and well within my loader capacity. That wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me, but delivery may be simpler than it seems.
Yes, Woodland Mills offered the liftgate when they called to confirm order and shipping, same price, but I told them no need. I was unloading it in 5 days.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yes, Woodland Mills offered the liftgate when they called to confirm order and shipping, same price, but I told them no need. I was unloading it in 5 days.
You certainly had plenty ballast on the back with a BH77, especially if it's the dedicated seat version (18 inches longer). Assuming, of course, you had the BH77 on when you unloaded.

How long does it take you to swap out from 3PH to backhoe, or backhoe to 3PH? Gotta be done to dig one day and chip the next. I know you have to remove the lift links, lift arms, sway links, and then the backhoe is a quick attach system. That would actually make for a good video. Messicks just has their little race for attaching and detaching the hoe, but don't actually put the 3PH back on for a different purpose. How long does it take, generally speaking, with no problems or leveling issues, going either direction? I've kinda talked myself out of the BH77 because of the price. Kind of glad it had a long lead time now. I can get a lot of other attachments to work on my landscaping for the price of the hoe ($9K quoted). Once I'm done digging in my yard, if I don't pick up a lot of digging jobs with it, I've got a very expensive piece of equipment that won't see much use, and a very heavy subframe that won't be a lot of fun to remove if I decide to sell the hoe. I'd also be having to sell to a fairly exclusive group (LX2610SU owners only), which might take a while to get a fair price for it. If I separate the hoe and subframe on resale, I'll have a lot of folks trying to low-ball me for either piece because neither is a complete system.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
After you do it a couple of times it doesn't take very long at all, a dolly make it a lot easier. If you keep the lower link pins oiled it helps also. I would say I can remove the 3pt and have the BH on in 15 minutes or so. That doesn't include the time to move the stuff to be able to get the BH out from the corner.

Keep an eye out for a use BH77, I found mine on Craigslist.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
You certainly had plenty ballast on the back with a BH77, especially if it's the dedicated seat version (18 inches longer). Assuming, of course, you had the BH77 on when you unloaded.
With the BB1560 box scraper attached, at 428 lbs plus I carry my 3-point hitch adapter with 2" receiver on it adds ~40 lbs, so 470lb hanging a few feet back is plenty of ballast for the heaviest of loads that my loader and tractor hydraulics can raise at full rpm, around 1100 lbs at the loader pins. Relief valve kicks in 100%.

I fill firewood crates made from old pallets with green larch/tamarack until the B2650 can barely lift it, and toddle off in 4wd 1st gear, 2000+ rpm, and park them under a roof to season.

That's with only the box scraper for ballast on the back, not even with the hitch adapter added. Back wheels stay well enough planted.

I give myself 1/2 hour to switch from the box scraper (which is the most mounted implement on my 3pt.) to backhoe or chipper. Sub-freezing conditions a bit slower. Can go quicker, and can seem to crawl sometimes when nothing wants to align, but on average 30 minutes is easy with time to sip a coffee/beer USUALLY. You know. Expect a glitch and always get a bit better at it.

The chipper PTO connecting is a slow determined process with my blown rotator cuff and usually stymies me for a bit but technique is improving! Hint: shorten the pto shaft by and inch more than the instructions say. I followed the directions explicitly and can BARELY slip the yoke onto the tractor pto output shaft as there's very little play. It helps me if I raise the 3pt to the top b4 attaching the pto shaft as that gives an inch or so more play to align it. Removing another inch will still leave plenty of shaft overlap. Plenty!

And I'm SO glad I got the backhoe, big bucks though it is. The possibilities for it now will keep me busy in retirement for as long as I can safely operate. Feel confident enough to start tackling construction of some swales and ponds on our acreage this year. And as time goes on, there's always the small side jobs crop up word of mouth.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, it'll be close, but I think I'll be OK. I think the WM-8H is a bit heavier than the WC-68. Need to look again, but neither is going to be a problem on the back. The only time I should be moving it with the loader is unloading it from the truck when it gets here. After that, it can ride anywhere it needs to go on the back.
When my chipper is parked, I put it back on its original metal pallet, or any wood pallet, and cart it off to the shelter with my pallet forks. Again, my box scraper is almost always on the back, lots of ballast.

Love this setup.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The chipper PTO connecting is a slow determined process with my blown rotator cuff and usually stymies me for a bit but technique is improving! Hint: shorten the pto shaft by and inch more than the instructions say. I followed the directions explicitly and can BARELY slip the yoke onto the tractor pto output shaft as there's very little play. It helps me if I raise the 3pt to the top b4 attaching the pto shaft as that gives an inch or so more play to align it. Removing another inch will still leave plenty of shaft overlap. Plenty!
I feel your pain, times 2. My right shoulder was FUBAR. Complete rupture. I couldn't raise my right hand above shoulder height. I couldn't even put a cup of coffee in the microwave above he stove. Surgery on 06/12/20. Left one had bone spurs and arthritis that was wearing down the minor bicep tendon. Had surgery on that 10/29/20. When the doc got in on the left, he found a tear in it, too. I'm just now 10 weeks past the second surgery, and not doing so well with the left shoulder lately. I want to think it's just weakness, but as sharp as the pain is, I'm not convinced. Next doctor appointment (next week, actually) I'm gonna suggest another MRI to see if something came loose. That's all I need.

This wasn't the first time for the right shoulder either, but sure needs to be the last. The first time was January 2013. If I tear it up again, I'm going to have to have a complete reconstruction. That is not on my bucket list. Neither of the first two times was fun enough for me to want to do it again.

A lot of my work is reaching out in front of me just above shoulder height and some of our test equipment for power delivery systems weighs upward of 100 lbs. Job description says I have to be able to pick up and walk with 70 lbs. I keep trying to tell the idiot managers that I'm 62, not 26. The days of the senior guys getting the cushy brain jobs and letting the rookies handle the strong back work is long gone. Especially since none of my managers in the past 5 years has a foggy clue about my technical skills. They're about to learn, though, as soon as I return to work. I will protect my shoulders. It's gonna be a long time before I can move that stuff around, or charge the closing springs on large circuit breakers, but I can't stay on Disability forever. Gonna need another gravy automation project until I get full strength back in both shoulders. I'd rather do that anyway. Let's me use the brain I spent a lotta money developing back in the 70's.