Woe is me... Ballast box problems

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
So I decided to buy a Speeco Quick hitch for my BX1880 tractor and ballast box. Not for a second did
I anticipate my Kubota ballast box wouldn't line up to the Speeco. My Kubota ballast box that has a
slanted in sides. Looks like I need to keep the Speeco, and sell my kubota box, and buy a generic. A
problem I never saw coming.

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome to the club…I had that same model of box, I modified it the way I wanted it, welded hitch in and had a scabbards and all internally to haul my gear with ballast…put a pats east hitch on and was no longer compatible (I was able to sell it on this forum though) so I upgraded the ballast box…not sure it helps but here is my link to what I did.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Fwiw, I have a generic ballast box, and it doesn't work on my Kubota quick hitch.

Assuming the Speeco works on everything else, modify your ballast box.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, I was really confused as that's a Quick Hitch compatible box.

Are you trying to use that ballast box with the PAT's or Pat's look alike hitches in your picture?

Because this is a SpeeCo Quick hitch, and that ballast box should fit it!
1676500147430.png

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Are you trying to use that ballast box with the PAT's or Pat's look alike hitches in your picture?

View attachment 95950
Good question…mine worked fine until pats and the lower link arms, the new hooks were just too large for the step side of the box…depending on how that sets with a QH could be same or issue with the frame of the QH interfering with the step in the box…unless it’s a width of pin issue? I can only say no workee with pats. But valid question. I’d almost bet the lever that detents over the pin(locks it) touches the step side of the box just above the pin…it’s was almost in the way with the OEM link arm.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine

View attachment 95950
That is correct. I naively thought that the Speeco or any QH like the one above
would work. I found out from others that have the same Kubota ballast box that
they don't talk the same lingo. I so wanted it too. Anyway I have it for sale
after owning it for one day. I just won't get a QH. I like the ballast box, but
wish it had the straight sides and shape of most boxes.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That is correct. I naively thought that the Speeco or any QH like the one above
would work. I found out from other that have the same Kubota ballast box that
they don't talk the same lingo. I so wanted it too. Anyway I have it for sale
after owning it for one day.
One day, That’s a pisser for sure.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Again I think if you search you will see some great ideas on this site from ballast boxes. I Can say with what I have now I am happier it’s much more useful in this configuration than that step sided one plus holds more weight, so if you can figure out the right box/mods you be be happier in long run…still a pisser as purchased though. Whoever was the guy with the trash can Oscar grouch set up…he deserves some sort of medal award on nameplate for creativity IMO…when you find that link you will know what I mean. I wish I would have found this site sooner to copy others ideas. Good luck.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Oh I have seen a lot of the ideas that fellow owners did to their ballast boxes, even building
their own and adding chain saw slots, and places for gear.. I have actually done the same
with this kubota box. I plan on showing some pic's of it one of these days. I like the box
better than the Hitch. So it is the hitch that goes. The Speeco in black generally is one you
have to use bushing for, and the red one bushings are not needed... tnx When I say old
school i mean it. Currently going on 81.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Goodworkstractors.com sells those Speeco quick hitches. It would be useful if you could post the relevant dimensions of your Kubota ballast box so that others can avoid this mismatch.

SPEECO CATEGORY-1 HITCH – EXTRA FEATURES
This Category 1 E-Hitch fits most Category 1 tractors and is for use with Category 1 equipment. Includes two lower pins, no top pin.

• Currently Available Only in Red
  • Inside Dimensions: 27 1/4″
  • Outside Dimensions: 29 1/2″
  • Lower Hook Slot Inside Diameter: 1″
  • Top Link Slot Inside Diameter: 1 3/8″
  • Bottom to Top Hook Height: 14 1/2 – 17 1/2″
  • Weight: 70 lb
  • No maximum lift capacity. If your tractor can lift it, then so can the Speeco.
  • Lots of adjustability between lower links and top links to fit a wide variation of attachments.
  • Bonus! Both lower pins are included. 3/4″ TOP PIN IS NOT INCLUDED. Uses a top pin like any other 3-point attachment.

Reactions: 1 user

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
For GWT. Unfortunately Courtney, I just bought it from you. I do not blame GWT or you for the
fact that it doesn't fit my Kubota ballast box. GWT was just great to do business with. I put the
blame on myself being new to the tractor world. The Speeco hitch is great and hooked right up, but
would not hook up to the ballast box. After checking I found others with the same ballast box
and they say a QH will not work with theirs.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
So to highlight for others my Kubota ballast box problem with a Quick hitch. If you have this ballast box do not purchase a quick hitch. Doesn't matter what quick hit it is. it is visible that the two bottom side pins are tucked in too far, and don't extend out far enough for the bottom of the quick hitch to engage. Also they are two short even if the quick hitch were to let them seat. You wouldn't be able to insert the locking pins. As for the top, where the 3pt hitch pin is. It is too far inside the ballast box, and the locking hook on the Quick Hitch, will not enter correctly.

Attachments

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
So to highlight for others my Kubota ballast box problem with a Quick hitch. If you have this ballast box do not purchase a quick hitch.
As I mentioned, I have a similar problem with my generic one. Looking at the Land Pride site, they have a completely different design now.

I'm assuming the Kubota branded one is no longer made which seems to be a good thing.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Goodworkstractors.com sells those Speeco quick hitches. It would be useful if you could post the relevant dimensions of your Kubota ballast box so that others can avoid this mismatch.

SPEECO CATEGORY-1 HITCH – EXTRA FEATURES
This Category 1 E-Hitch fits most Category 1 tractors and is for use with Category 1 equipment. Includes two lower pins, no top pin.

• Currently Available Only in Red
  • Inside Dimensions: 27 1/4″
  • Outside Dimensions: 29 1/2″
  • Lower Hook Slot Inside Diameter: 1″
  • Top Link Slot Inside Diameter: 1 3/8″
  • Bottom to Top Hook Height: 14 1/2 – 17 1/2″
  • Weight: 70 lb
  • No maximum lift capacity. If your tractor can lift it, then so can the Speeco.
  • Lots of adjustability between lower links and top links to fit a wide variation of attachments.
  • Bonus! Both lower pins are included. 3/4″ TOP PIN IS NOT INCLUDED. Uses a top pin like any other 3-point attachment.
Courtney is fabulous to do business with. If I ever need another attachment, he will be my first call.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Courtney is fabulous to do business with. If I ever need another attachment, he will be my first call.
Yep. I bought a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 flail mower from Courtney and he went above and beyond to resolve a shipping issue.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
FWIW I bought a JD "Green" ballast box at a swap meet last fall, and even though it was a "good deal" it will not fit onto the BX23S with or without a quick hitch. I have come to the conclusion that the only way that I will get a ballast box that will work both with and without a quick hitch is to design one myself and then weld up the parts. I have also considered cutting the sides of the Kubota ballast box off and then welding in a new piece of steel to make it into a straight-sided ballast box. I have some great ideas but am lacking both the desire and energy to put them into play. There is a local shop that builds snow pushers and I have talked to them about building ballast boxes that are specifically designed for the BX80 series tractors, but I don't know if there is enough demand for them to do a production run. I guess it will all depend on costs and return on the investment.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Waste of time and effort. Just sell it off for what you paid, and look for one that will fit. i bought a 3pt Hitch (Speeco), and sold it for a $55 dollar loss. A local was please to pick it up for what he paid, and I have most of my money back. There are plenty of ballast boxes out there for sale, you will just have to watch Facebook Market place and Craigslist, to get one you know will work. Good luck to you.