Winter is coming!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
well... just like death and taxes, winter around these parts is inevitable.

This morning ground water puddles starting to freeze and the geese have left us.

Means for me the winter anti gel Power Service gets pulled out and added to all the diesel I have in machines and in tanks as I wait for the fuel stations to blend out the summer diesel and for my machines to work there way through the transition period of whats in their tanks now versus what should be in their tanks when the -30 days roll in.

Anyone want to throw a guess out there how many threads we will see this winter about winter fuel additives, gelled fuel, plugged fuel filter, et al related to the inevitable change of seasons?

cheers

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I thought this thread would be about Game Of Thrones.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I was down for either topic. :D

That said, I’ve been wondering when to start adding anti gel to my fuel. This will be my first year with a diesel in my stable. I did start adding stabil to ethanol free gas for my mowers earlier this week and was thinking I’ll have to start adding anti gel to my diesel too. I need to find a good little measuring cup to measure out the adative.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I was down for either topic. :D

That said, I’ve been wondering when to start adding anti gel to my fuel. This will be my first year with a diesel in my stable. I did start adding stabil to ethanol free gas for my mowers earlier this week and was thinking I’ll have to start adding anti gel to my diesel too. I need to find a good little measuring cup to measure out the adative.
better to add it BEFORE you need it versus after fuel has gelled.

Can't circulate an additive while the fuel is gelled up.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I added anti gel to both the tractor and my fuel tank and am waiting for confirmation that winter fuel is here so I can get the tank filled.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm not sure if winter is coming, but cold weather showed up here.

IMG_1661.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use Power Service in the white bottle year round, and home heating oil in place of diesel fuel. Never had a problem with my BX22 or my BX23S no matter how cold it gets. I don't even measure it, I just give it a shot like a bartender would do. It is so inexpensive to purchase I don't care if I am wasting some of it by overdosing on the fuel. I have an unopened bottle of Power Service Red 911 should I ever need it, and it has to be at least 8 or 10 years old sitting on the shelf. I only wish that it was around during the blizzard of 78, when my Mercedes diesel would start, but would gel as soon as I started driving. Back then, Mercedes had a fuel heater that the dealers could install on the hot water hoses to warm the fuel before it got to the injectors.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In all my years I've never had a diesel gel on me and we get COLD!
I think it's because we only run #1 Diesel here year around.
There are too many High altitude logging trucks and equipment and they don't want to have down time with the cold.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
In all my years I've never had a diesel gel on me and we get COLD!
I think it's because we only run #1 Diesel here year around.
There are too many High altitude logging trucks and equipment and they don't want to have down time with the cold.
I have often wondered/thought the same thing when I read posts like this.

We probably don't get quite as cold as some of ya'll that are north of Michigan do, but I have seen my fair share of negative temps and I have never had a gelling problem. (yet) 🤞

Just lucky maybe?

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
better to add it BEFORE you need it versus after fuel has gelled.

Can't circulate an additive while the fuel is gelled up.
That's what I figured. I'll probably add some this weekend. Thankfully, yesterday was almost 80. However, the low Monday is in the mid 30's.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I added anti gel to both the tractor and my fuel tank and am waiting for confirmation that winter fuel is here so I can get the tank filled.
Curious how you know or find out when the gas stations make the transition to winter diesel? Does it happen on a given month, or is it to the discretion of the gas stations?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Curious how you know or find out when the gas stations make the transition to winter diesel? Does it happen on a given month, or is it to the discretion of the gas stations?
It is when the tank reaches a level that they need to call to bring it back up to full. Empty tanks collect moisture in them, and pumping the water out of the bottom of the tank gets expensive. This is why you should only purchase fuel from stations that sell a lot of volume of fuel. In some stations, the primary income is derived from selling fuel, and in others their primary income comes from repairs, and selling fuel is looked at as a convenience for the repair customer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It isn't normally a problem until the fuel gets down to 15°f. It takes consistent air temps below that to suck the heat out of fuel.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I actually don't know if we have Winter fuel or not. Here's a pretty decent article that describes the difference.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
November is usually the transition month for the US fuel stations. The refineries are already geared up for it. I don't know if there is a way to tell if your specific station has it yet or not.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The stations around here will have it posted on the pump that after xxx date they will be running winter mix fuel.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Winter arriving this weekend

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
A good friend owns the station so usually when he gets his statement it will state what it is.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Winter showed up here two days ago! I had 8" at the house by the time I got to do any snow removal. It's still snowing here but more like confectioner's sugar rather than big flakes.

I run Stanadyne all year round in all diesel and have done so for years. The only fuel related problem I've ever had was with blocked filters on the M1078 that I picked up at the docks in Tacoma last year and drove 600 miles home. I made the mistake of not bringing new filters with me, running the fuel too low, and possibly not flushing the tank prior to setting off. That vehicle had sat in Hawaii for years where high humidity leads to undesirable growth in fuel. It only had 4,500 miles on it when I picked it up and it's a 1998 model.

deck_10_25_23.jpg