Winter is coming!

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Thanks for the replies around how to know when the stations are swapping over. I just topped the tractor off, maybe have one gallon of diesel left, so hopefully the next trip to the station yields a winter blend. We actually have very few stations in Maine that carry diesel, and the local one is likely one of the busiest stations in the Portland area, so hopefully they're getting through their fuels quick enough.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Can't circulate an additive while the fuel is gelled up.
No reason to tempt fate, better safe than sorry.👍...
But, I'm not so sure about that comment by Canada. Last winter we had days of temps in the negatives F. My neighbors L3301 just quit running. Crank, sputter, no start. I towed him home about a mile with my LX.

Although he is a Cheese-head - born and raised, he never owned a diesel anything. He was running summer diesel! I explained it all to him and I put in a bottle of diesel anti-gel winter additive.

I told him to let it sit a couple days and then try it. 2 days later he drove his Kubota over to my place with some venison sausage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
No winter here - may set high temp records today n tomorrow - in the 80's

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Anyone want to throw a guess out there how many threads we will see this winter about winter fuel additives, gelled fuel, plugged fuel filter, et al related to the inevitable change of seasons?

cheers

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last year I won an MX grill guard and the thermometer shown below in the Messick's auction that was part of the big move to the new facility. This morning I finally got around to hanging the thermometer off a bird feeder bracket on the side of the house. It was 9F when I woke up but has warmed up to a balmy 17F. :p

10_28_23.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
This is sadly a good reminder to get going on winterizing and getting the blowers, tractor etc. ready for winter.

Of course I am still in "bird hunting mode" and running the dogs every free minute I get after losing the first two weeks of the season to COVID........

I still have a few gallons of summer fuel in the tractor and a few more in one of my cans......I will toss some treatment in.......and I will plan for the inevitable swapping of the FEL for the Blower.......hopefully the damn new PTO coupler doesn't wear down and eat itself like that last one........still bitter about that.

Reactions: 1 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Here in WI end of October we usually start seeing freezing temperatures at night/early morning. Friday I plugged in the heated water tanks for the animals, the heated bed for the shop cat, ran antifreeze in my sprayer, put stable in the small and large engines that aren't used and pulled the batteries for anything that's sitting.

This is my 1st winter with a diesel too. I fill my lx2610 with 2 5 gal diesel jugs. A full tank which I bleive is 7 gallons lasts about almost 10 hours for me so the jugs are just fine and I don't have a larger tank.........in the future I'd like to have a smaller tank on a truck or something though. I have a white and red bottle of diesel 911. Looking at a conversion chart you need about 2 oz of antigel for 5 gals so I dumped that in my tank since I have a full tank of summer diesel in it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I
Here in WI end of October we usually start seeing freezing temperatures at night/early morning. Friday I plugged in the heated water tanks for the animals, the heated bed for the shop cat, ran antifreeze in my sprayer, put stable in the small and large engines that aren't used and pulled the batteries for anything that's sitting.

This is my 1st winter with a diesel too. I fill my lx2610 with 2 5 gal diesel jugs. A full tank which I bleive is 7 gallons lasts about almost 10 hours for me so the jugs are just fine and I don't have a larger tank.........in the future I'd like to have a smaller tank on a truck or something though. I have a white and red bottle of diesel 911. Looking at a conversion chart you need about 2 oz of antigel for 5 gals so I dumped that in my tank since I have a full tank of summer diesel in it yet.
I keep Summer diesel in my tractors all year long!
Soon I will go to Florida, and when I come back in early May,.... they will have spent another Winter full of Summer diesel.
I do add Stanadyne whenever I add fuel.
I usually do not even use a full machine tank of fuel each year, so some of that diesel is 2 years old.
Have never had any issue.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Even colder this morning and cold enough to make the elk want to bed down around my place. I wonder how long the plastic will hold up. I don't know if Simplicity expected it to sit out in Montana weather all year round.

10_29_23.jpg

elk_10_29_23 (1).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I

I keep Summer diesel in my tractors all year long!
Soon I will go to Florida, and when I come back in early May,.... they will have spent another Winter full of Summer diesel.
I do add Stanadyne whenever I add fuel.
Have never had any issue.
Not all of us are blessed to have a second home in gator country with NY transplants. We all don't run away with our tail between our legs when the white stuff falls! Cold don't scare real men! Lol!
Just messing with ya, cuz I'm a bit envious.
Anyway. You have a good point for the snow birds here.
But if you had to go north to rescue your Kubota - mid winter, she might not fire up.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not all of us are blessed to have a second home in gator country with NY transplants. We all don't run away with our tail between our legs when the white stuff falls! Cold don't scare real men! Lol!
Just messing with ya, cuz I'm a bit envious.
Anyway. You have a good point for the snow birds here.
But if you had to go north to rescue your Kubota - mid winter, she might not fire up.
Though I grew up in Eastern Massachusetts, I lived in Minnesota for 24 years.
The cold hits Minnesota, at just about the same time it hits Wisconsin.
I remember it well, and I ain't goin' back,..... to either shovel,... or swat!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I think I'd be lost with out the 4 seasons. Granted winter isn't my favorite but having a kid makes it a bit more fun, sledding, snow forts pulling him on the atv, teaching him to snowmobile. With hardware in my leg I thought it'd be nicer to go somewhere during winter but I'm not sure what's worst cold or humidity for my bionic body.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I add a maintenance amount of Sea Foam at every fuel can filling year round and have never had any of the OP mentioned seasonal fuel issues, actually no issues at all, with any diesel or gas machine I use. Temps here go from summer +35C max to winter -40C min.

So my response to all the posts for help with seasonal fuel system issues is:

Keep Sea Foam in your fuel.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use Sea Foam in gasoline-powered equipment, and Service Power in all diesel-powered equipment.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The first snows today in Northern Maine.
3-5". Not looking forward to it.
Last winter I think I plowed six times maybe. "Forcast" says above average snowfall here this winter. El nino I believe. We certainly don't get the cold like we did fifty yrs ago. When -30* below happened every winter. Now at -10* the news media tells folks if you step outside 'your done !'
As far as fuel additive I use power service
in a Gray bottle. I think it's the winter one.
White bottle is higher octane maybe.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think I'd be lost with out the 4 seasons. Granted winter isn't my favorite but having a kid makes it a bit more fun, sledding, snow forts pulling him on the atv, teaching him to snowmobile. With hardware in my leg I thought it'd be nicer to go somewhere during winter but I'm not sure what's worst cold or humidity for my bionic body.
A bit different situation I think,
My youngest "kid" is 52!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I add a maintenance amount of Sea Foam at every fuel can filling year round and have never had any of the OP mentioned seasonal fuel issues, actually no issues at all, with any diesel or gas machine I use. Temps here go from summer +35C max to winter -40C min.

So my response to all the posts for help with seasonal fuel system issues is:

Keep Sea Foam in your fuel.
isn't Sea Foam designed to emulsify water in fuels?

wouldn't this render your diesels water filters worthless thus putting water through the entire high pressure fuel system? (like operating with your water filters removed)

especially with the advent of bio-diesel wouldn't this be a very bad thing in modern diesels especially in winter?

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Diesel Fuel and the "what do I need to know" reminds me of Big Pharma. Don't fix the problem, prescribe something else.

If you build it, they will come.