Wife's Christmas

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
My wife always says, don't buy me anything for Christmas. I just wondered if any of you have tried that and how was the results.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My ex-wife said it didn't go over well at all!!.....:eek:

Just kidding...never tried it...but it would be a surprise! After 36 years, she still expects something...and she says the same thing too.

When the kids were young, I got her a couple paperback books...don't know if they still make them..

I've lucked out the last few years, in that my adult daughters and they're boyfriends have helped with ideas...I've learned to start asking those guys about October.

Last edited:

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Every year I ask if there is anything she'd like for Christmas. Always the same answer. "Nah". But there's no way I'm not going to get her anything. Usually a struggle to come up with ideas at first but, with her hobbies/activities, it's not too bad. Golf, bowling, gardening, chickens, canning, hunting, shooting, etc.... Not sure why it's ever a struggle. Lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We buy each other stuff for the new house (still under construction).
She's getting some trick LED lighting! :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
...Thrash - several years ago I was desperate enough I asked the guys/gals here on OTT for advice....
Don’t recall if the return was good or not, but I was gonna get her something, and had no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
My wife would always tell our children that I had better never get her anything for the house as a present and if I did, she would throw it at me.

So one year the children wanted me to get her a toaster so that they could see her throw it at me. I went a long with it and bought a toaster and wrapped it up and put it under the tree.

On Christmas morning the children were all disappointed when she only fussed about that being all she got and didn't throw it at me. She had to explained to them that we really needed a new toaster and she didn't want to tear it up.

Good thing I had a real present for her hid away or I probably would not of had a Christmas dinner. :D

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
For years I used to struggle trying to decide what to buy her for Xmas but now after 43 years being together we decided to get one thing for the house this year being a smart tv which turned out to be a pretty good idea, now we have something to watch besides commercials and reruns. Couple days ago she went out shopping and came home and held up some cloths and said look what you bought me for Xmas honey, perfect. She's still waiting for the 69 Camaro and I'm still waiting for the 70 Cuda but short of winning a lottery it will never happen. I guess the best gift we can give each other is to still be happy after all these years.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
My wife is practical & thoughtful. She reminds me that I’ve bought plenty of things for her each year and have provided for her amply and really appreciates simple dinner dates we have from time to time so rarely do we buy each other anything and we’re completely ok with it.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dittos to what Sean said.

My wife enjoys being a 6pm and Rue La La 87% off shopping junkie. She is fine with no presents for any occasion. After 38 years, what does a present mean? Same with me. If I absolutely need something, I buy it.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
As others have said, it's Christmas all year long at our house. If we need/want something and can afford it, we get it.

We have agreed for years to basically ignore the holidays in general and commercial holidays in particular. No birthday/Valentines/Christmas cards or presents. Half the time we don't even remember each other's birthdays, unless it's to tease about being an old fart.

We make nice for the kids (usually baked goods) and grandkids (usually cash) on Christmas, but that's it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OMG Christmas and Birthdays,,, SOMETHING anything,, I mean Im white not stupid

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
The wife and I agreed to stop exchanging presents years ago; one of our smarter decisions.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My wife says that every year. Usually turns into an argument since I tell her "tough sh@@, your getting something!!! So you need to speak up and tell me what you want!!!".

This year, she got a new lap top computer, and a vacuum :p:p:p

Actually, the vacuum is one of those Roomba's, so I didn't land in the dog house :cool: She was actually really excited about it since it handles the daily sweeping during shedding season for our German Shepherd :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
In researching tractors before I bought the BX2230, the wifes ability to use it to maintain our property was a major consideration. She had used my Ford 4000 tractor in the past so not something she had never done.

Per experience with the old lawn/garden tractor being replaced, the new tractor had to be easy to start (gasoline engines have got to be more contankerous as they did the cheap '70 era car tricks to just leaning he mixture out to ridiculous ratios, no or mininal use of belt drives that tend to jump off the pulleys, cranky transmissions/clutch operation, etc..

So the Kubota diesel/glow plug easy start, hydrostatic drive, drive shafts used for mower & bagger was a no brainer.

I made the serious mistake when I bought it of saying it was her birthday present!.. :eek::eek: She told her women friends about it and one of them said, "When are you going to buy Dan a pair of diamond ear rings?"

Have never lived that one down :rolleyes::rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We kind of go along with what Greeno said. We purchase things as we need them or want them, don't make a reservation to make it a specific gift.

That's not as bad as some may think, "You're a non-romantic, thoughtless person"! A month ago she got a nice recliner that specifically fit her. She's 5'-1" and has so much pain when setting down had to stuff pillows behind her to be able to comfortably set. Last year we bought a new Grasshopper. Her hobby is mowing. The one we had caused the same back pain, and installing a Grammer seat required more mounting hardware then I wanted to mess with.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We buy each other stuff for the new house (still under construction).
She's getting some trick LED lighting! :D
Good investment. I'm in process of changing out my entire shop to LED shop lights. Menards has them cheaper than even Amazon and boy are they bright plus instant on. At 32 watts per fixture versus 32 watts per tube x 4 for my T8 conventional lamps, the cost savings will be appreciable plus the life is 20 times a T8 tube.

I switched my high mount field lights on both Kubby's to LED lamps (from SuperbrightLED. 4000 lumens each (front) and 3000 rear and the rear ones are 'side shooters' so I can see my implements off to both sides as well as back.

The front's have an effective range of 1/2 mile. Did my pickup truck too,. Every bulb with the exception of the instrument lamps are now LED including the headlights.

Every lamp in the house as they expire get changed to LED. The working life is better, the emitted light is brighter and the running cost is less.

Need to do the running and tail lamps on the Kubby's yet and the dome lights too. The rear pillar mount running lamps on the Kubby's are a PITA to access and change. Probably refit all the running lights on the balers and mowers too, eventually. I lean toward CREE SMD's if I can get them.

Off thread a bit I realize. Far as the wife goes, I get the same canned response 'I don't want anything' so I just watch and buy her something of value. This year is a new radio for the kitchen that actually works. Out here it's hard to receive anything and she likes to listen to her Country station and the radio she has is iffy, so I bought her a nice quality radio with a large external antenna so she can 'tune in'. She knows what I bought and seems to approve.

I find Christmas way too commercialized and I find the worn out Christmas music wafting through the stores to be irritating. Don't need or want to listen to Tony Bennet sing Christmas songs every year, forever.

Not a Scrooge but enough is enough.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We kind of go along with what Greeno said. We purchase things as we need them or want them, don't make a reservation to make it a specific gift.

That's not as bad as some may think, "You're a non-romantic, thoughtless person"! A month ago she got a nice recliner that specifically fit her. She's 5'-1" and has so much pain when setting down had to stuff pillows behind her to be able to comfortably set. Last year we bought a new Grasshopper. Her hobby is mowing. The one we had caused the same back pain, and installing a Grammer seat required more mounting hardware then I wanted to mess with.
Seats.com or K&M seats. I installed a Grammer air ride seat base in the M9 last year (the 105 had one from the factory). I reused the Grammer factory seat. They are plug and play with an ISO standard base and the compressor is built in. All you need is a 12 volt power source and the Kubby has one on the right side, a female Molex plug with the male counterpart already plugged in. Was a snap to install. Beats the heck out of the spring ride gut buster it came with.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The wife and I have slowly been heading towards no specific holiday gifts over the years, we just buy what we need when we need it. (or want it:)) But this year with all the stress of the caregiver thing, me getting deathly ill after Thanksgiving, we just decided no gifts at all this year just to avoid the stress of shopping, crowds, traffic, etc.. I didn't even put up Christmas lights on the house this year. (I normally put up the best display in the neighborhood)
My wife is even beginning the pre-planning for her dad's 90th birthday party, bringing in relatives from all over the country. That of course assumes he makes it till mid February. (more stress)
We will have a few small items for each other I'm sure, but I think the days of a mass, mutual gift exchange are over for us.