Whyyyyyy is everything such a secret?

Jenlynne

Equipment
Z122r
Oct 8, 2023
Florida
For the sake of knowing, one of the first things I do is measure the deck belt with a seamstress tape, and record the number on the belt. I'll then seek out a "Gates" equivalent and buy two for spares.

Unless I hear negativity for my particular deck.
Thank you 🙏🏻

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
For not much more $, a Kevlar belt should outlast a standard rubber belt. Once you know that actual generic belt #'s it's easy to price check the belts made from different materials.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Belts are not all the same...

there are hundreds of options to look at.

Often if you put all the "options" (sheath vs none, width, kevlar vs not, vee angle, etc) into an aftermarket replacement, it costs the same or more than the kubota belt.

--been through this when I worked at the dealer. I did find a replacement for another belt (not a kommander) with the exact specifications and it was $7 more on Amazon than the Kubota belt. Go figure.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yahooo! First, thank you! Second, I don’t even care that you are being condescending, I’m just thrilled to have my answer ❤❤❤
I believe the answer you are trying to give, and that would be helpful to everyone else as well is this rotarycorp website. What an awesome resource :) I found a half dozen similiar websites but that pesky k5559-36710 part number was not listed. Thanks again, and I will be sure to work on my googlefoo!
I'd at least buy a Kevlar belt. It may not be quite as good as OEM, but it'll be much better than a standard belt.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I’ve been looking online for longer than I’d like to admit to just find the SIZE of the deck replacement belt I need to buy for my Z122r zero turn. I don’t want to pay 70 bucks plus shipping and I need it faster than most websites can provide. Please what is the belt size so I can just use Amazon 🙏🏻 why isn’t this information just opening listed on the Kubota site. 🙄
They don't share this info so you can be thankful your dealer is there for you and stocks parts at a reasonable price even for older machines.

AND you don't have to ship stuff back to amazone because the mystery-fly-by-night vendors lied in their ads and ship you the wrong or sub standard chinesium stuff.

The other nice part about using my dealer is when I ask for a new mower belt they don't show me 500 unrelated items including womens underwear, jewelry, and other wrong sized and profile belts that I have to sort through and spend my time trying to figure out if it fits.

Amazone search sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I’ve been looking online for longer than I’d like to admit to just find the SIZE of the deck replacement belt I need to buy for my Z122r zero turn. I don’t want to pay 70 bucks plus shipping and I need it faster than most websites can provide. Please what is the belt size so I can just use Amazon 🙏🏻 why isn’t this information just opening listed on the Kubota site. 🙄
It's your mower and you should do as you like but mower belts are items that usually justify OEM replacement expense.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have done the regular gates belt route for these type of belts and found that I was replacing them in short order. Just bite the bullet and get the proper oem kubota Kevlar high power belt.
Bingo.

Good advise.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
kinda curious about the difference in belt sizes....as I went to K online, model info, 1st page of 'common bought stuff....only one belt

also Aramid is same as Kevlar, some form of reinforced belt material....

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
vbelts4less.com when I can't find local.

And kevlar for the win
On both points, this.

I'll just add this..

I've experienced outer separation of both OEM and 3rd-Party deck belts. It did not hinder or cause the belt to explode. Generally speaking, if a belt is bad, bad will happen in short order. There are several factors in the mix. Spindles, pulleys, tensioners etc. They all need to be true, at the same plane of height and 90° to the deck and spindle to function optimally. That's not always the case. In my research I've read and seen a lot of decks spindles and pulley systems should have not passed testing, yet they were.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
On both points, this.
Prices are good until you add in shipping.

Recently paid CDN$21 for a BX58 belt from my local industrial supplier. Free same or next day pick up of course.

vbelts4less.com wants US$12.20 for the belt (decent price) and US$13.69 for shipping = US$25.89 before exchange and duties

Amazone wants anywhere from CDN$31 to $100 for the same belt. Amazone isn't usually the best price for name brand stuff IMHO unless you are buying cheap dollar store crap.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA

Recently paid CDN$21 for a BX58 belt from my local industrial supplier. Free same or next day pick up of course.

vbelts4less.com wants US$12.20 for the belt (decent price) and US$13.69 for shipping = US$25.89 before exchange and duties

Amazone wants anywhere from CDN$31 to $100 for the same belt. Amazone isn't usually the best price for name brand stuff IMHO unless you are buying cheap dollar store crap.
I'm glad I'm not having to deal with what the Canucks have no choice in the matter. Your choices are far too regulated.

Amazon likes to portray to be the One-Stop Online-Shopping experience. They are not. Their monitoring and regulating product is near NIL. They tend to allow a lot of sub-par items through. On another note, Made In China isn't necessarily bad. On Amazon, the "ratings" are rigged just like the Elections.

Do your research.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
You should offer thanks at the Shinto shrine that Kubota hasn't discontinued the part leaving you with an orange trot-line weight.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida

"Amazone wants anywhere from CDN$31 to $100 for the same belt. Amazone isn't usually the best price for name brand stuff IMHO unless you are buying cheap dollar store crap".

Thats been my experience also. Amazon counts on their shoppers being lazy and just clicking on the item they want when found. Not this fat ass! I google many Amazon items I'm shopping for and usually find it cheaper, even with shipping.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
IMO. As others have said..

Buy an OEM belt from a K dealer.
Measure it, length, width, depth and pattern or V shape when you get it. Keep it on record. Problem solved. Later, when the new OEM one dies... Buy from anyone anywhere and roll the dice.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
At one time I had a Cub ZTR that came an OEM 1/2” belt driving the deck. Bought it new and that’s what came on it. It kept breaking the belt so some research revealed the belt was running on 5/8” pulleys and was rated at 9HP despite being hooked to a 20HP engine. If you were mowing 1/4” off fescue you’d probably never notice but anything much tougher and it would stretch the belt and eventually break it.

So I swapped it for a 5/8” belt and discovered the “engineers” had solved the problem of the belt forever popping off due to not being in the same plane unless the deck was set at precisely the right height by putting an undersized belt on oversized pulleys. Mower had an electric deck clutch so clutching wasn’t a requirement for the belt. Next step was installing belt keepers at all the problem points. Now it sort of worked but it was still toasting the 5/8” Gates about every 50 hours. More research indicated there are some belts that fit and have sufficient HP rating but they’re not designed for applications where an idler has the belt in a back bend situation. In my scenario, the Gates I was using were the right length, right size for the pulleys, and sufficient for the power BUT when I contacted Gates I found out they weren’t designed to handle the backbend the tension idler was putting on it. Subsequently found a Kevlar belt that was OEM for a similar size Grasshopper mower, designed for back bend applications. I’ve changed it only once in the last 400 hours and that was due to a stump strike.

Moral of that long story is I got a decent education in mower belts and just because it fits doesn’t mean it’s the right belt or that it will perform adequately. If you go with A/M, at least get a Kevlar belt if there is any back bending in the belt routing. They’re generally designed to handle the back bend and heat associated with mowing. Not all belts are.

Edit: I have also purchased a tractor and now use a bush hog on grass higher than my waist. If my old Cub could talk I’m confident it would thank me.

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Things are secrets because the manufacturers want you to have to buy from them.
Specialty tools from many manufacturers, especially in the automotive industry is an example. Torx bolt heads. And even security bolt torx heads...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Canada shipping and duty is ALWAYS atrocious!

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
If you think Kubota is bad, try a certain green brand which loves to use that double-sided V belt on their mower decks.

Yes there are will-fit equivalents on the Internet. And after trying one you'll end up at the dealer getting the OE belt anyway. đź’¸:rolleyes: