Why Is Camo More Expensive?

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Dealer told me that camo on a X900 is an additional $400 over orange. Just wondering if that because of demand, painting techniques, or simply added profit?

I was on the fence about color but decided on orange because of the extra charge.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I am sure there are additional costs to produce the camo in terms of materials and time; however, the camo pattern is also a licensed pattern that Kubota has to pay a royalty to Realtree.

Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I presume you can't just spray it on - you'd have to mask or something to get the pattern. More labour intensive.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
At the risk of being a smartass, which is not my intent, try painting something camo and it will start to make sense very quickly. Painting camo is a multi-stage process that adds MANY steps not necessary for a single color paint job.

While I understand the process in a factory setting may be a bit different, if it’s actual paint (not a wrap) the general “typical” process is paint the whole thing with the base color; when dry mask and spray first accent color; when dry mask and spray second accent color; continue until all colors complete (typically 3 to 5); when done with colors buff to smooth the tape lines; clear if you’re clear coating. If you bought a pattern (like Mossy Oak) you don’t have to cut the templates for masking but you do have to pay for them. If your making your own pattern you don’t have to buy the masking templates but you do have to cut them yourself.

Yes, there are other methods, such as sponge painting, but the backyard redneck shortcuts (some of which produce decent results) aren’t what’s going on here with the Kubota product. Kubota may have robots doing the spraying. Even if they do, hard to believe they’re spraying a camo pattern with crisp, clean lines without templates.

It’s quite a bit faster and easier to shoot a single color.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
And my question is why your X900 needs to be camo. Sure, when you're hunting you don't want to be seen yourself. But surely you're not hunting from in your X900 - you get out and do some stalking, right? In which case, what does it matter what colour it is - and probably better that other hunters can see you and don't shoot you by accident (although you'd presume both the deer and other hunters can hear the thing anyway - which will be way more noticeable than any colour it may be)

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
And my question is why your X900 needs to be camo. Sure, when you're hunting you don't want to be seen yourself. But surely you're not hunting from in your X900 - you get out and do some stalking, right? In which case, what does it matter what colour it is - and probably better that other hunters can see you and don't shoot you by accident (although you'd presume both the deer and other hunters can hear the thing anyway - which will be way more noticeable than any colour it may be)
Maybe he doesn’t want anyone to know that he has a X900!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
NCL hit the nail on the head.

when i bought my ATV i specifically got a bright red one; so its easier to see lol

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
I chose orange because of the cost but the reason I was considering a different color is that orange makes the machine stand out as a prime item to steal as people pass by on the road. Orange catches the eye whether the machine is parked on the side of the road or in the garage.

challer61

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX with numerous attachments
Aug 2, 2021
Central VA
Popularity. Interestingly, all the studies show camouflage provides no real advantage over general colors blending in. Outside the US, you rarely see camo in the woods.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Popularity. Interestingly, all the studies show camouflage provides no real advantage over general colors blending in. Outside the US, you rarely see camo in the woods.
My military family members and friends would strongly disagree with these studies.

challer61

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX with numerous attachments
Aug 2, 2021
Central VA
My military family members and friends would strongly disagree with these studies.
For hunting. There is military in my blood and has been for three generations. Animals see very different than we do. BG hunters learn that DG smell you out.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It was somewhat odd to me to learn several years ago most, if not all, of the sporting camo clothing sold in the US is treated with brightners to make them more attractive to human shoppers. Of course that means for animals that see UV the camo glows. They have to be washed with some special soap to remove the brightners if you don’t want to be glowing at the UV visioned animals. Seems some camo, at least sporting camo, is designed for concealment and some is designed more for the vanity of the hunter. Weird to me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm trying to figure out WHY the 'royalty fee' from Realtree ? Do they have the patent on camoflage ?? Does the mighty USA milatary have to pay a royalty for every machine and gun that is 'camoed' ?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I'm trying to figure out WHY the 'royalty fee' from Realtree ? Do they have the patent on camoflage ?? Does the mighty USA milatary have to pay a royalty for every machine and gun that is 'camoed' ?
Realtree, like many companies, licenses their designs and name. If you want to use their exact pattern and their name (built in marketing), you have to pay for the privilege. You could make your own camo design/pattern, and you would pay nothing to any other company.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Thanks for the info ! Couldn't believe anyone had a patent on camo... then again, drug companies own 25% of human DNA, so I've been told....

Reactions: 1 user