Why does OTT hate Safari?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Apple doesn't play nicely with anyone because they don't believe in standards.

if you want the website to work apple tells you
1. complain to the vendor
2. update your phone software
3. buy a new phone
4. download a 3rd party spyware app that overcomes the safari shortcommings
why do other websites not have this issue?

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
iPad Air
Software version 12.5.5
Same situation as FordTech
And use Safari

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Was using my iPad sideways and noticed that it had improved performance on this website.
Can anyone else see if you have any improvement on your part by using your device in landscape mode?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You could try to upgrade your iOS to 15.0, its out now. I also use Safari on iPad and have never had any issues. It is probably some setting or weird file that has gone bonkers on your phone.
After upgrading to ipadOS 15.0.1 and now 15.0.2 it is now impossible to manually highlight and edit text. It will select one word no problem, but as soon as I try to extend the text selection the page rapid scrolls to the top.

POS crApple software strikes again.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy an "Apple Car". Every time they released a software update cars would stop working. People would just walk away and buy a new one.

If your Apple car battery dies you have to buy a new car because the battery is glued into the chassis. Chipped your windshield? Buy a new car. Highway department repainted lines on the road? You need to buy a new car.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Was using my iPad sideways and noticed that it had improved performance on this website.
Can anyone else see if you have any improvement on your part by using your device in landscape mode?
I just tried that. Typed an unduly lengthy response to another thread mostly to test it as it seems to be worse for me when posting. Twenty minutes in, it refreshed and wiped out 90% of the response. So, yes it was an improvement but it wasn’t a fix.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
I have this problem only with Facebook marketplace. And only with my iPad. This website works fine. I have never had the problem with the iPhone. Both have the latest operating system.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
After upgrading to ipadOS 15.0.1 and now 15.0.2 it is now impossible to manually highlight and edit text. It will select one word no problem, but as soon as I try to extend the text selection the page rapid scrolls to the top.

POS crApple software strikes again.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy an "Apple Car". Every time they released a software update cars would stop working. People would just walk away and buy a new one.

If your Apple car battery dies you have to buy a new car because the battery is glued into the chassis. Chipped your windshield? Buy a new car. Highway department repainted lines on the road? You need to buy a new car.
Yes thats funny stuff lol. I would never buy an Apple car living in the mountains…or a Tesla for that matter. MAYBE a Ford Lightning in 25 years if I’m not dead and my Super Duty doesn’t outlive me.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I just tried that. Typed an unduly lengthy response to another thread mostly to test it as it seems to be worse for me when posting. Twenty minutes in, it refreshed and wiped out 90% of the response. So, yes it was an improvement but it wasn’t a fix.
Thanks for the experiment.

I have noticed that if you refresh after the website reloads, most of your post will reappear.

I also have a lot of trouble with the backspace key - push it once and it may go back a very long way (several words)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'm having a similar problem with one computer at work running Win10 and Firefox. This site randomly crashes, producing an error message that the tab has crashed, losing any reply in progress. Restoring the tab does not recover the text, but reloading the recovered tab gets most of it back. I suspect it has something to do with the ads.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have noticed an improvement in performance on this website in the last few days? Not wiping out replies as much.

Keep improving though it is not 100% still on iPad.

If tapatalk or similar could be used, I would enjoy using that again.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You could try to upgrade your iOS to 15.0, its out now. I also use Safari on iPad and have never had any issues. It is probably some setting or weird file that has gone bonkers on your phone.
I did the upgrade but the problem continues.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
i got a brand new IPad and Safari 16.1.1

ran great on this site for a few days then started seeing some of the same issues popping up

downloaded a new browser (duck duck go) tonight and seems better

still noticed that typing a post has shown some issues with what is typed is not what shown in the post but overall doing much better.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m running OS 16.11 on my iPhone 12. I’ve noticed this problem again in the past few weeks after being fine for the past year.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: torch, win10 firefox, crash

I also run Win10, Firefox, have AB+ running to 'hide the ads'. NO problems...
..except someone HACKED my name here,posted in the firestarters thread

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
re: torch, win10 firefox, crash

I also run Win10, Firefox, have AB+ running to 'hide the ads'. NO problems...
..except someone HACKED my name here,posted in the firestarters thread
Jay - - for starters, I'd change your password here on OTT. I'm not tech guy, just remember someone recommending that before.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I’m running OS 16.11 on my iPhone 12. I’ve noticed this problem again in the past few weeks after being fine for the past year.
Its not just IOS or Safari. My Android phone with Chrome has similar issues as does my Windows desktop with Chrome. I dont think its browser and/or OS related although it may be worse with some. It looks more like a combination of variables interacting:
  1. Random pop up ad events hitting the client
  2. Variations in server and client network latency
  3. Fluctuating compute loads on both client and server ends.
  4. Client side code trying to cache and sync user input to the server in real time as well as dynamic page management. I.e. probably using client side timers/counters to trigger push events. It may be an AJAX application.
It appears to be a complicated architecture that relies on a lot of different elements playing nice with each other and that's why it gets better when the stars align and worse when they collide. I don't have any hard basis for that analysis. Just my perception based on years of writing network applications and chasing crazy network/software problems.

Dan

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
My iPhone refreshes often as well. I think it did it 5x while trying to reply to a post last week. Loosing all of my text each time. Quite annoying.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My iPhone refreshes often as well. I think it did it 5x while trying to reply to a post last week. Loosing all of my text each time. Quite annoying.
I did a little poking with the developer tools in Chrome. I have been retired too long to claim any expertise in modern page design or the use of the developer tools but it certainly appears to be doing AJAX requests rather than old school page refresh. I was also seeing LONG delays in server response. I don't know if that was my desktop, my ISP, the OTT server, their network, or a combination. But way too long.....

Dan