Whole Goods VS Parts

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ve been talking to three different Kubota dealers about buying new parts/kits…. and when talking to the “parts” man and finding the prices exorbitant (no surprise there)… I asked the question, “What if we order it “whole goods”..?? and the parts-guy tells me he’ll have to transfer me to a “salesman” to do that…and does so.
Salesman gets on the phone and looks into the same parts/kit and the price is not much different…..

So after the 3rd dealer contact… I ask the “sales” guy to explain the difference between “whole goods” orders and “parts” orders. He says: ”when we order a particular tractor, it comes with certain options, which when ordered with the tractor is called “whole goods”…. but there’s no difference in pricing if you’re just ordering parts.“

This explanation does not seem to “fit” what’s being told here in the Forums. Can someone offer a better explanation? Thx.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I don't have a better explanation but I basically got the same story from my salesman at the dealer shortly after I purchased my tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, it's indeed a 'curious' business model...must be thought up by the same guy that says...

that I can buy a tire only for $500 or the same make/model MOUNTED on a rim, full of air for $350.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I’ve been talking to three different Kubota dealers about buying new parts/kits…. and when talking to the “parts” man and finding the prices exorbitant (no surprise there)… I asked the question, “What if we order it “whole goods”..?? and the parts-guy tells me he’ll have to transfer me to a “salesman” to do that…and does so.
Salesman gets on the phone and looks into the same parts/kit and the price is not much different…..

So after the 3rd dealer contact… I ask the “sales” guy to explain the difference between “whole goods” orders and “parts” orders. He says: ”when we order a particular tractor, it comes with certain options, which when ordered with the tractor is called “whole goods”…. but there’s no difference in pricing if you’re just ordering parts.“

This explanation does not seem to “fit” what’s being told here in the Forums. Can someone offer a better explanation? Thx.
Whole goods is simply a separate distribution channel for options, packages, etc., that are normally sold with new machines.

Sales people usually earn commissions on whole goods items. Parts personnel are nearly always hourly employees.

At many/most dealerships parts employees do not have discretion to offer discounts, whereas, sales personnel often do.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Whole goods is a general business term that means a complete unit rather than individual pieces. One example might be a tire, rim, and center package.. Or maybe a grapple. In the case of of the rear remotes all of the individual parts are provided as a complete kit - hence whole goods.

Dan

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Or maybe a grapple. In the case of of the rear remotes all of the individual parts are provided as a complete kit - hence whole goods.
In the case of rear remotes, the kit is ordered through the parts department.
Friday, we were looking at the second rear remote kit for an L3800 and found it is much cheaper to order the parts individually than to order the kit.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In the case of rear remotes, the kit is ordered through the parts department.
Friday, we were looking at the second rear remote kit for an L3800 and found it is much cheaper to order the parts individually than to order the kit.
Well I just offered an explanation of whole goods versus parts not pricing.

But since you brought it up is that pricing true in general? A couple years ago I priced parts for a rear remote on my L3901. I did not want the whole kit and just the pieces I wanted was way more than the whole goods price for the complete package.

Dan

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I "SUSPECT" and for 100 to my 1 pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's picture I'm confident it can be proved. Mfgr building parts exclusively for Kubota allows Kubota to name their price because they are the only game in town. Parts farmed out by Kubota leaves opportunity for mfgr to build parts, label different and sell on open market which open's price up for competition. That accounts for what Whtetiger said about sometimes swinging different direction. To prevent competition Kubota has Mfgring plant move a bolt hole or other change that doesn't require expense of designing new part, then assigns new part #. That last strategy assures Kubota their sales are negligibly effected by used parts sales in later years. Not only does that force consumer to pay whatever Kubota asks, it leaves consumers up the provably creek without paddles when Kubota discontinues parts for tractors still in operation.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I "SUSPECT" and for 100 to my 1 pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's picture I'm confident it can be proved. Mfgr building parts exclusively for Kubota allows Kubota to name their price because they are the only game in town. Parts farmed out by Kubota leaves opportunity for mfgr to build parts, label different and sell on open market which open's price up for competition. That accounts for what Whtetiger said about sometimes swinging different direction. To prevent competition Kubota has Mfgring plant move a bolt hole or other change that doesn't require expense of designing new part, then assigns new part #. That last strategy assures Kubota their sales are negligibly effected by used parts sales in later years. Not only does that force consumer to pay whatever Kubota asks, it leaves consumers up the provably creek without paddles when Kubota discontinues parts for tractors still in operation.
The same is true of cars and trucks but it does not kill the third party sources. The difference is volume - not enough tractors to make it profitable. I have re-engineered factory remotes for LO1s. Was not hard to do and a better product at 1/2 OEM cost. How many do you think I csn sell and how much profit would it generate?

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota RARELY changes a part where it won't work in an older part design's place.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Kubota RARELY changes a part where it won't work in an older part design's place.
Surly you don't actually believe that Wolf. For example,looking at drive train parts between engine and tranny for the ever popular B series tractor. Horsepower nor other factor demands different parts yet Kubota finds it necessary to use countless different part #s with minuscule differences to serve exactly same function for each B series tractor. I don't see any other explanation other than unashamed greed for profit but hey,I'm open to look at other reasons if there are any.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Surly you don't actually believe that Wolf. For example,looking at drive train parts between engine and tranny for the ever popular B series tractor. Horsepower nor other factor demands different parts yet Kubota finds it necessary to use countless different part #s with minuscule differences to serve exactly same function for each B series tractor. I don't see any other explanation other than unashamed greed for profit but hey,I'm open to look at other reasons if there are any.
First:
Go buy a Compact John deere, Yanmar, Compact New Holland, Montana, Mahindra, Kioti, Rural King, TYM, and a host of others. Then come back here in a few years and tell me how HARD it was to get parts and how many stupid changes they make between models even of the same production.

I really don't see changes in designs as much of a greedy thing as you do, I see it as an innovation thing.
Design changes are made to make up for flaws, failures, or downfalls to a product not to necessarily jack up the prices.
Chevy, Ford, Dodge you name it have changed truck parts for years and years and you think they did that just for greed?

We as a people want new and exciting and innovative products and features and are not happy unless we get it!

• Love

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
First:
Go buy a Compact John deere, Yanmar, Compact New Holland, Montana, Mahindra, Kioti, Rural King, TYM, and a host of others. Then come back here in a few years and tell me how HARD it was to get parts and how many stupid changes they make between models even of the same production.

I really don't see changes in designs as much of a greedy thing as you do, I see it as an innovation thing.
Design changes are made to make up for flaws, failures, or downfalls to a product not to necessarily jack up the prices.
Chevy, Ford, Dodge you name it have changed truck parts for years and years and you think they did that just for greed?

We as a people want new and exciting and innovative products and features and are not happy unless we get it!
That is quite different to the blanket statement of " Kubota RARELY changes a part where it won't work in an older part design's place."
I stand by the notion Kubota fiddles around with part #s and the only reasonable conclusion is they do it to increase profit NOT AS A SERVICE TO TRACTOR OWNERS. New and exciting innovative products and features? I honestly don't know if that is what average tractor buyers look for but I don;t recall hearing it from others here at OTT. On the other hand all most daily someone (including op) complains of having to bend over and take it in order to get parts for their Kubota.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That is quite different to the blanket statement of " Kubota RARELY changes a part where it won't work in an older part design's place."
I stand by the notion Kubota fiddles around with part #s and the only reasonable conclusion is they do it to increase profit NOT AS A SERVICE TO TRACTOR OWNERS. New and exciting innovative products and features? I honestly don't know if that is what average tractor buyers look for but I don;t recall hearing it from others here at OTT. On the other hand all most daily someone (including op) complains of having to bend over and take it in order to get parts for their Kubota.
Nobody makes you buy orange, green, blue, or any other color.

I own 2 BMWs because I love the cars. Dont much care for the cost of parts and service but I knew that going in and it wouldnt stop me from buying another.

I bought a new Kubota because my old one was a great tractor and did not have those issues. Given the changes at Kubota I would not be nearly as quick to buy another.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why do you even own a Kubota?

Why do you think being angry and mean with me is proper and justified?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

Interesting perspective. Right up this point, it seemed like a typical discussion with divergent view points, the sorts of which I’ve read on here dozens times. Just my 2 cents, but nothing looked to be ill intended or personal from here.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas

Wolf I realize my opinion of Kubota Corp as a whole is critical but I don't believe that adds up to anger and meanness toward owners of Kubota tractors ,much less to you. I'm at a lose as how to make you whole again but I do wish you the best, whether you hold contrasting opinions or not.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Nobody makes you buy orange, green, blue, or any other color.

I own 2 BMWs because I love the cars. Dont much care for the cost of parts and service but I knew that going in and it wouldnt stop me from buying another.

I bought a new Kubota because my old one was a great tractor and did not have those issues. Given the changes at Kubota I would not be nearly as quick to buy another.

Dan
That might fall under foolish pleasure :giggle: of which life wouldn't be the same without. I once owned a Ford Fairlane Side oiler in pristine condition worth more than the house I lived in,yet it was such a pita to drive on street I rarely did. 90% of restored vintage tractors are another example that only their owners understand how a tractor can save a marriage or men going over the edge.