Whole Goods VS Parts

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I "SUSPECT" and for 100 to my 1 pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's picture I'm confident it can be proved. Mfgr building parts exclusively for Kubota allows Kubota to name their price because they are the only game in town. Parts farmed out by Kubota leaves opportunity for mfgr to build parts, label different and sell on open market which open's price up for competition. That accounts for what Whtetiger said about sometimes swinging different direction. To prevent competition Kubota has Mfgring plant move a bolt hole or other change that doesn't require expense of designing new part, then assigns new part #. That last strategy assures Kubota their sales are negligibly effected by used parts sales in later years. Not only does that force consumer to pay whatever Kubota asks, it leaves consumers up the provably creek without paddles when Kubota discontinues parts for tractors still in operation.
Are there any parts, in particular, you think Kubota has changed for no reason that you are referring to?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I didn’t detect any anger or mean-ness in the discussion.… but it is an example of how the internet posted-word carries no inflection to guide the reader. We must be careful when choosing our words especially when we have opposing viewpoints.

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it's not just kubota it's all manufacturers. They all reserve the right to change a part when they feel the need to do so. In other words if I am building something and I source a part from x supplier and it costs me $12 for that part, then later on I find that Y supplier has contacted me & says they'll supply the part for $11, I'm probably gonna buy it for $1 less....but, I also have to change the part number and "discontinue" the old number (or supercede it).

Far as wholegoods, I did get an explanation as to why there's such a difference in price in certain items. Had to do with how the part is sold on a tractor vs through parts. There is more markup (manufacturer level and dealer level) with certain items sold through parts, vs wholegoods. Not all WG "parts" (items) are "cheaper" than through parts either. Some are some aren't.

Deere used to do the same things but I haven't been in the deere business in over 20 years so I'd imagine that's all changed.