Who is watching you?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not allowing history to be taught, both the good history, the bad history, and everything in between is a sure way of creating a society that will repeat the worst of the mistakes of their forefathers.

This is how we teach history now.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana

This is how we teach history now.
During the trouble at Charlottesville and the removal of Robert E Lee's statue, Trump remarked, "What's next, take down statues of Washington and Jefferson?" The media ridiculed him for saying that.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m definitely one of the least interesting people anyone would want to watch….

Just ask my wife….

PS….most exciting I get is making turkey noodle soup from leftovers…

DDE4421B-BD83-4BAB-A6FD-68C3DAFFDD92.jpeg

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I’m not questioning your career success. Many people are successful without college degrees, and many with degrees are not successful. Still, most of the parents I met who home school are not well educated and don’t become well informed on current and historical events. And it often shows in their “students.” Many of these students who go on to college are socially awkward because they weren’t exposed to people with different perspectives growing up.
My experience with homeschooled children is vastly different than yours. Especially with regard to the "socially awkward" part. ALL homeschool parents I know are engaged in various groups where their children are exposed to FAR more variety of people and perspectives than children in school. And yes, many of those parents are "uneducated" in the formal sense, but are still far more effective teachers than the public school teachers. Plus, they tend to KNOW their weaknesses (unlike the certified "professionals") so they seek out others who can fill in those blanks. That's why co-ops exist.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My experience with homeschooled children is vastly different than yours. Especially with regard to the "socially awkward" part. ALL homeschool parents I know are engaged in various groups where their children are exposed to FAR more variety of people and perspectives than children in school. And yes, many of those parents are "uneducated" in the formal sense, but are still far more effective teachers than the public school teachers. Plus, they tend to KNOW their weaknesses (unlike the certified "professionals") so they seek out others who can fill in those blanks. That's why co-ops exist.
Question.

Are home schooled kids evaluated somehow? I mean, do they have to pass tests that show they are actually learning?

If so, and they are able to pass the same tests as kids that are in "normal" schools, who can argue against that?

Totally ignorant about home schooling...probably obvious I bet...

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Question.

Are home schooled kids evaluated somehow? I mean, do they have to pass tests that show they are actually learning?

If so, and they are able to pass the same tests as kids that are in "normal" schools, who can argue against that?

All states have laws to follow regarding home schooling and yes there are tests that have to be taken and passed.

Depending on the state, certain studies have to be taught such as

• Language arts
  • Mathematics
  • Biological and physical science
  • Social science (social studies)
  • Fine arts
  • Physical development and health

The main difference is, once you teach the baselines for each level, you don't have to stop at that level, if you find your child has a strong suit in a certain subject, you can teach well past that point. Notice the requirements above, those are Illinois, and I don't see History as part of it. Of course there is Social Studies, AKA how to mold a child to fit someones standards.

Two of my fellow coworkers home school, one is full time, the other, his wife is also a teacher and has gone back now that both kids have reached a certain age and go to the same school their mom teaches at. There is still home schooling for them too in addition. Funny thing is, both are Democrat and think Bernie has good ideas. They are the only two out of 9 of us who think that way. Then again, they are the youngest out of all of us too.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com

If so, and they are able to pass the same tests as kids that are in "normal" schools,
The real question is whether the "normal" school educated kids can pass??

D

Deleted member 47704

I’m definitely one of the least interesting people anyone would want to watch….

Just ask my wife….

PS….most exciting I get is making turkey noodle soup from leftovers…

View attachment 70531

Best post here.

I must be interesting, the rather attractive woman down the street always waves when she walks by and watches what I do. Either that or she wants me to come over and work on her place.:unsure:
Maybe shes just hot for my tractor.😉

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Best post here.

I must be interesting, the rather attractive woman down the street always waves when she walks by and watches what I do. Either that or she wants me to come over and work on her place.:unsure:
Maybe shes just hot for my tractor.😉

Say Hi to Karen for me next time you see her out 🤣

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The real question is whether the "normal" school educated kids can pass??
Might be a glass half empty or glass half full thing, but...

But since the goal is to pass, I think the real question should be why some kids fail to pass. Regardless of how they are taught.

In my case I was a very poor high school student (bad attitude I think), but went on later in life to be a rather well performing college student. Did not fail much in high school, but could have done a lot better. A LOT better...

I think homeschooling would have been a nightmare for me in those days. That is a system I don't think I could have learned to take advantage of. LOL, but actually true.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Say Hi to Karen for me next time you see her out 🤣
Karen? Is that Brandon's sister?

Sorry, could not resist. First thought that popped into my head for unknown reasons, when I realized I did not know what the reference to Karen referred to...

That song refers to a green tractor if I remember correctly...might be inappropriate to post such things here...ROFL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Neither of my kids were home schooled. However, if they were school-aged now they may be. If you home school YOU teach what you want. You are free to teach your kids that there IS a second amendment, that Jefferson wasn't the worst man alive and God exists (if you so believe). They also learn proper pronouns and can go to the bathroom without fear of a young man being in there with them.

If I had kids in school there would be two choices--private or home.

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Question.

That varies VERY widely from state to state, so no real answer to that. SAT's, ACT,s and College entrance exams obviously are the same for everyone. Again, all homeschool kids I've known have done quite well.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Neither of my kids were home schooled. However, if they were school-aged now they may be. If you home school YOU teach what you want. You are free to teach your kids that there IS a second amendment, that Jefferson wasn't the worst man alive and God exists (if you so believe). They also learn proper pronouns and can go to the bathroom without fear of a young man being in there with them.

If I had kids in school there would be two choices--private or home.
I have no argument.

My only question would relate to what the expectations were for the children.

Parents can teach their children whatever they want, and if there is no need to deal with whatever the norms society in general has, no big deal.

I am well beyond that point in time as both my daughters are approaching 50 years old.

But I keep thinking back at how things worked out for me in life, and how I somehow managed to end up OK, after a poor start in high school. Back before there was no home schooling, no internet, no computers, no social media, no nothing really, except time spend in the woods playing Tarzan or whatever...

So I keep wondering, if home schooling is really superior to brick and mortar classes...or if the opposite is true.

But in reality, it is probably a wash...depends on the parents and the school district. In the end it probably cancels out. Some kids win, others lose...Was that way back when I was in school too, with only one option. Graduate or drop out...

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So I keep wondering, if home schooling is really superior to brick and mortar classes...or if the opposite is true.

But in reality, it is probably a wash...depends on the parents and the school district
You have asked and answered your own question. In deep Alabama, things are taught very differently than NYC. Someone here tells a story about math being taught as a guessing game (guess and check I think he called it). That's not math, that's guessing. That's not teaching MATH.

D

Deleted member 47704

Karen? Is that Brandon's sister?

Sorry, could not resist. First thought that popped into my head for unknown reasons, when I realized I did not know what the reference to Karen referred to...

That song refers to a green tractor if I remember correctly...might be inappropriate to post such things here...ROFL
She better not be a Karen.

Green tractor, so what. I have a green tractor, a red one, a grey one and now an orange one.