Who is watching you?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
EVERY 'wireless' device has the capability to send your data to the MFR's server. Many, like NEST thermostats and ROOMBA robot vacuums were well known for doing this vey thing.
ALL the car insurance 'save 15% modules' do it too, 24/7...and they sell that info to anyone, worldwide.
Then of course ,there's the 5G network bruhaha....

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Easiest just to assume that no matter where you are and what you are doing, someone can see and hear you.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Yeah, if you think you have have privacy, you’re wrong. Unless you’re so disconnected you’re not reading this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have 17 cameras outside in the woods to monitor the critters that wander through the property. They are hard wired into my lan. Before they are even connected they are added to the Unifi rule (network control software) that prevents them from going out on the internet.

They all try. Who knows what they could get off the computers connected to my lan?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Wife and I found out that all your orders on Amazon are being monitored by the government when we had the DEA, along with the local drug task force show up at our door.

Short version, they blocked my wife in the driveway when she was trying to head to the post office (she is mail carrier) with a pickup truck and two guys got out of a truck and started walking towards her and she ran back into the house yelling for me. It was one of those unusual days I had taken the day off and was home. I grabbed my pistol and stuck it in my pants and went out to see what was going on. They flashed their badges and we started talking.

My wife had ordered 500 empty pill capsules from Amazon to fill with her Moringa that she had bought in bulk. The agents said they wanted to know why we had ordered the pills. I explained to them what was going on. He looked at his clipboard (I'm guessing he had our whole purchase list). They were happy and all dozen of them left.

So, anything you do on the internet is being watched.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You know, I do not really care who is watching me outside my home.

Aside from speeding I really do not break any laws...and we are really boring people, so anybody watching would soon fall asleep anyway.

SOMETIMES advertisements that appear when surfing actually are interesting. Rarely, but sometimes.

I just figure that the positive is that by watching boring people, the watchers have provided things that benefit me, like google earth, streetview, and web browsers, search tools, free email and so on.

So I say, watch away. OK with me. Just not in my bedroom...but wait, we are over 70 now...bedroom is probably OK too...

• Haha

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
True stories..

1. The other day the Michael Jackson song 'Smooth Criminal' was stuck in my head. I was singing it in my office. A while later I asked Alexa to play 80s hits. What was the first song she played... Smooth Criminal.

2. My secretary (of 20 years, more like family) and I discuss a lot of stuff outside of work. Regardless of what we discuss the pop-up ads we BOTH see on our computers thereafter are the very subject of our discussion.

Kind of freaky, but I guess its kind of a trade-off for the technology. Kind of have two choices--live with big brother listening, or live without the wonder of tech.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Big brother doesn’t have enough employees to watch you. He has to only watch people who are not boring.
But he has enough computer power to monitor you and flag you if you're NOT boring.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
My kid told a joke the other day, I laughed, my wife laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot it.

On a more serious note, my wife is an iphone junky, she is so addicted to it, not funny. One day my daughter was saying something, and suck it up buttercup was mentioned. A little while later I hear an outburst from my wife that she got a buttercup ad on facebook on her phone.

Yes, your phones are listening, so are the smart tv's. So is google, even if you don't use it, it is tied into so many websites it's not funny. If you were to sniff your laptop connection when browsing you will see a LOT of google related stuff.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Consider this, if you think your devices are not always listening: How do they know you're calling them ("Alexa, do this") if they're not?

• Love

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Consider this, if you think your devices are not always listening: How do they know you're calling them ("Alexa, do this") if they're not?
Good point! Or Hey Siri in the Apple world...

Wonder if they stop listening if you turn Alexa or Siri off?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
But he has enough computer power to monitor you and flag you if you're NOT boring.
Yeah, but he doesn’t waste his time unless you are a suspected terrorist or cri

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Well the video in the OP pretty much explains how it's done. A mesh network can formed from WiFi, BT, phones, smart TVs, other IOT devices, from your home as well as homes of others. Only takes a few software switches to turn the mesh on.
What could possibly go wrong??

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Big Brother is paranoid. so everything boring or not is of interest

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
True stories..

1. The other day the Michael Jackson song 'Smooth Criminal' was stuck in my head. I was singing it in my office. A while later I asked Alexa to play 80s hits. What was the first song she played... Smooth Criminal.

2. My secretary (of 20 years, more like family) and I discuss a lot of stuff outside of work. Regardless of what we discuss the pop-up ads we BOTH see on our computers thereafter are the very subject of our discussion.

Kind of freaky, but I guess its kind of a trade-off for the technology. Kind of have two choices--live with big brother listening, or live without the wonder of tech.
This happens to me quite often.. I knew I wasn't hearing and seeing things!🙄

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

i can speak from experience with this, that is absolutely true. Deal with the IRS and you will understand.

And with that, it's another reason I will not take disability pay if I can help it. Anytime you are on government pay, you are subject to whatever the government wants you to do....like go to the doctor when they want you to, etc. They want to know everything about you and it's not just for your health and wellness....with knowledge, they can profile you, they know what you do in spare time, where you go, when, what you do for fun, etc.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If only you actually knew how ill equipped government is to listen to everyone. No government has the employees and resources to listen to everyone. They focus on suspects.

Reactions: 1 users