White Fog from 18 wheeler…

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was helping a little ol’ lady from church get her car washed… and just as I was about to return it to her… Accelerating away from a traffic-light… was an 18 wheeler with dual stacks… emitting a HUGE CLOUD of White Smoke… so BIG that it became a Huge Cloud of FOG…. and coated all of us sitting next to him with a fine mist!
I had to drive thru the car wash again. :mad:

I”ve never seen such a thing.… I”ve seen an occasional white “puff” of smoke from a diesel…but This was amazing… It literally created a cloud of FOG which enveloped the entire city block!

He drove on away onto Hwy 281 northbound from Burnet, Tx.

Sooo… what causes that ?? and what would you do about that if you saw it..??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He's got a bad tune on it.
He's just dumping fuel.
There is a rat line for Texas Emissions rules violations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was helping a little ol’ lady from church get her car washed… and just as I was about to return it to her… Accelerating away from a traffic-light… was an 18 wheeler with dual stacks… emitting a HUGE CLOUD of White Smoke… so BIG that it became a Huge Cloud of FOG…. and coated all of us sitting next to him with a fine mist!
I had to drive thru the car wash again. :mad:

I”ve never seen such a thing.… I”ve seen an occasional white “puff” of smoke from a diesel…but This was amazing… It literally created a cloud of FOG which enveloped the entire city block!

He drove on away onto Hwy 281 northbound from Burnet, Tx.

Sooo… what causes that ?? and what would you do about that if you saw it..??
Wouldn't white smoke indicate water in the fuel or water in the engine oil? Could be a head gasket issue. I have a chip and programmer and if I get on it I can blow lots of black, sooty smoke! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Wouldn't white smoke indicate water in the fuel or water in the engine oil? Could be a head gasket issue. I have a chip and programmer and if I get on it I can blow lots of black, sooty smoke! :ROFLMAO:
C41BB684-9CFB-48DF-85F0-9AE61D0C931F.gif

😂😜😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
One of my Dura Maxes started blowing white "smoke". It ended up being a bad injector.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Black smoke if it's burning the fuel, white smoke if it's not.
If it was white smoke out of one stack I would think failed injector or water/ coolant issue.

There is one other possibility is that it's got a DEF issue, or if it picked that moment to go into a regen, all of which can cause white smoke.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Black smoke if it's burning the fuel, white smoke if it's not.
If it was white smoke out of one stack I would think failed injector or water/ coolant issue.

There is one other possibility is that it's got a DEF issue, or if it picked that moment to go into a regen, all of which can cause white smoke.
Interesting. I have two glow plugs that need replacing and it takes a while to start the truck when it's below 50F. When I eventually get the truck to start I often see lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust which I figured was unburned fuel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Interesting. I have two glow plugs that need replacing and it takes a while to start the truck when it's below 50F. When I eventually get the truck to start I often see lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust which I figured was unburned fuel.
Bingo, that is exactly what it is. unburnt or poorly burnt fuel.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It was Both Stacks… and it was not just momentary…it was persistent. I”ve seen neighborhood Mosquito-Fogging trucks which couldn’t come NEAR to what this 18-wheeler emitted. It truly enveloped the entire intersection and continued down the highway developing into a large cloud of Fog. Pretty amazing and disturbing…. it was almost traffic-stopping.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
failed turbocharger is the likely culprit, although there are other possibilities.

AAA Cooper had one do that a number of years ago. I just had a car painted, was out in it and got behind cooper, dumped oil all over the new paint. I knew the driver and asked him the next week when he dropped our stock order off and he said that the mechanics told him that the turbo failed.