Which brand engine oil

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Torch is right on this one. Think about it, if the Manny has you over a barrel for specific product then they have you over a barrel for pricing too. It was the main reason for the law. Once in awhile the gov gets it sorta right.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In the mid '80's Coop had a program. You bought their oil, used it in your tractor and the engine was protected by (I'm sure their ins. co) them if an engine failure occurred. It was a volunteer program. If you bought their oil the warranty was included.

In these cases no one has anyone over a barrel. If you choose, you can use their oil and get the coverage. The oil was always competitively priced with competitive oils.

Cenex Oil had a program it cost $229 dollars. You got $200 in coupons toward the purchase of oil. Warranty was 9yr/9000 hours.

I think JD had similar program for their +50 oil. Theirs was 8000 hours. You had to send in oil samples at recommended intervals.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Back to the OP - don't know if this makes any difference but when my tractor was delivered the dealer told me that Kubota oil was just Valvoline oil in a different jug with a markup.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Back to the OP - don't know if this makes any difference but when my tractor was delivered the dealer told me that Kubota oil was just Valvoline oil in a different jug with a markup.

No doubt someone makes it for them, possible valvoline.

Just for the heck of it, does anyone know the price difference for a gallon of Kubota oil verses Shell Rotella?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
At work, we have Kubota, Deere, Deutz, Mitsubishi, Cat, Case, Cummins, Ford, Duramax, Semi Trucks, and Perkins motors. Plus a few others I'm sure I missed :p When the tier 4 engines came out, I pulled the oil specs for each manufacturer.

Then sat down with my bulk supplier, and went through each manufacturer's oil specs. Our goal was one bulk tank filled with 300 gallons of 15w40 diesel engine oil that didn't void warranty on any piece of equipment in my fleet. The common one by most manufacturer's was the CJ-4 rating. Some had a different number listed for there spec. Can't remember off the top of my head what those numbers were.

Shell Rotella, Mobile 1, and valvoline for diesel engines all met the specifications by the manufacturer's. ;) Bulk tank at work is filled with a semi synthetic 15w40 manufactured by Chevron.

Last edited:

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
I drove the 40 minutes to my dealer on Saturday to get the stuff for my first service coming up. I asked for oil and the parts guy said the stuff on the shelf with the black lid. It was 10W30 in some brand I never heard of. They don't stock Kubota. I passed on the oil but bought the oil filter and HST filter. I also asked for a pail of SUDT-2 but when I got home I noticed the pail said Premium SUDT:confused:. Is it the same? For oil I will use Rotella T5 10W30,
Barry

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I also asked for a pail of SUDT-2 but when I got home I noticed the pail said Premium SUDT:confused:. Is it the same?
No. SUDT-2 is not available in Canada. From the MSDS, the "Premium UDT" sold by Kubota Canada is made for them by Shell Canada. The MSDS shows it is a petroleum based product, albeit a winter grade formulated with a very low pour point. It looks somewhat similar to John Deere Hyguard Low Viscosity but closest of all to a Shell automatic transmission fluid.

Comparing spec sheets, the closest product to SUDT-2 in Canada that I found is Petro-Can Duratran XL.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Rotella T5 with a Kubota filter.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I've used Rotela-T in all my diesels and have had great results , as for transmission fluid I only use Kubota Super UDT.