Where do you keep your small money?

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
My small money is stored in my basement 'beer' refrigerator in 12 oz. servings. ;)

On a more serious note, I was not aware of I bonds and will look closely at them. When I was a child I used to receive a US savings bond as a birthday gift every year rom one of my uncles. I liked that and would like to do the same for my grandchildren. The I bond may the right answer for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I seem to have more luck buying equipment, using it for 5-10 years, then selling it for more than I paid for it. At least my money maintains it's inflationary value that way. In the bank I have to be content with no interest, excessive service fees, poor service, and a declining bank balance while the bank posts yearly record profits after using my money.
Agreed but I meant I bury stuff.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My wife and I are taking advantage of the I-Bonds. You can invest up to an additional $5,000 each by applying any refund due to you from your federal tax return.

Jack
Another "trick" is, if one is married (or has someone they REALLY trust), a person can buy a GIFT I bond to be given to another person the next year.

The advantage is that the gift starts paying interest at the beginning of the month it was purchased. Of course, the gift amount will reduce the amount of i bonds that the gifted person can buy during the year the gift is received. But if done now it locks in the current 9.62 percent rate for six months...and those funds also become available for withdrawal 12 months from the effective purchase date, which is the month of gift purchase.

So if a couple so desired, they could lock in the current rate and double the amount they could purchase this year, but the net effect would be they would not be able to purchase more next year, unless they delayed giving the gift until a later year... Gifts are held in what is called the "gift box". While in the gift box, nobody can cash them in. So it is necessary to remember they are there and gift them before they are forgotten...