What's in your toolbox?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I'm a new L3800HST owner and I'm replacing the toolbox with a .50 cal ammo box. I tend to always over pack and bring too much gear wherever I go. I'm curious what tools everyone keeps in their toolboxes.

This is my first tractor so I don't have any experience to draw on as far as what tools might come in handy. My current list includes wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, zip ties, extra washers and pins, plastic hammer,chains and a tow strap. Am I covered, I'm I overdoing it again, or am I missing something? Thanks

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
LED flashlight. I never breakdown in sunlight. :eek: I just used mine a few minutes ago to move the skid steer, they're bringing topsoil tomorrow, and it will block my path up to the job site, so I'm leaving the Bobcat on one side of the pile and the Kubota on the other. I always keep extra hitch pins on the tractor too, in case I lose one in the snow, mud, etc. Ammo cans are great for toolboxes.

Jerry

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Good 3 or 4pound hammer, tow chain, screw drivers, med crowbar, tow straps (for trees), extra pair of gloves for helper, spanner pliers, remotes for gates and garage, extra pins for attachments...should about cover 95 percent of the time...

I got a strong quad runner wire basket and mounted on the fender and throw all that and more in...I can usually save several trips a day back to the shop with that stuff...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Pins, vice grips, channel locks screw drivers straight and Philips, a roll of tape black electrical,,, and a BFH If I cant fix it with that stuff, its beyond me doing it :D

Islandguy

Equipment
L3800DT, 1964 Allice Chalmers D15
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
I always carry an extra fuel filter (plus the tools to change it) in my diesel cars so I guess I'll carry one aboard the new L3800. Gota get an amo box to replace that wimpy plastic tool box.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm still using the whimpy plastic toolbox. I have a 12" crescent wrench, 12" channellocks, 15/16" wrench for the lift arm chains, and a small piece of 1/4" pipe for the tilt adjuster. I also have a 48" pry bar strapped across the ROPS.
The worst thing my tractors ever did was run out of gas. I had to walk up to the barn for the fuel anyway; I could grab a tool if I needed it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What's in your toolbox?
Sounds like a credit card commercial!
About the only thing I can add is a stash of appropriate fuses.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I'm never too far from the home shop but I carry a 8' chain with hooks, 3/4" combination wrench, adj crescent wrench (both needed for occaisional adjustments to the rough cut deck or tiller or top link etc), prybar with one end a tapered pin, a spare link pin and a few spring clips, fencing pliers.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm thinking of adding a flask of bourbon for snowplowing emergency thawing for next winter! :D

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to get a few more things.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Nobody has mentioned lynch pins, so extra pins for locking down your attachments would be useful incase you loose one in the dirt. I keep 2 extras on my pto lever.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
In addition to wrenches, etc. I find that a ball pien hammer to be a necessity for some attaching functions, especially in winter.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I'm a new L3800HST owner and I'm replacing the toolbox with a .50 cal ammo box. I tend to always over pack and bring too much gear wherever I go. I'm curious what tools everyone keeps in their toolboxes.

This is my first tractor so I don't have any experience to draw on as far as what tools might come in handy. My current list includes wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, zip ties, extra washers and pins, plastic hammer,chains and a tow strap. Am I covered, I'm I overdoing it again, or am I missing something? Thanks
Bambam31,

First off, I had a toolbox built. Considered ammo boxes but they are more difficult to open and close and also not suitable for where I put my toolbox. I made a post on OTT a long time ago with pictures.

The box is mounted behind the seat.

Now, I have a pair of good work gloves, a rag, a 3 lb. hammer, and extra long bolts, nuts to go through the top link on 3 point hookups. My tool box is big enough for a few bottles of water also. I add that I made a tool for tilting the 3 point turnbuckle that is a knuckle buster and keep it in there.

The box has magnetic catches for easy opening and closing.

Other storage is 2 Klein canvas work buckets I hang on the left and right stanchions for the arm. I'll put anything in there that I like to get at within a quick forward reach.

The old dinky Kubota box made a good tool box for the ATV. You can put 2 bandaids and 3 pieces of gum in it before it gets full

Burt

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Some sort of spray lube with a cap, bungee cords
One to stretch across three point arms to keep em
From rubbing tires. If its wood season- an
Axe. Tape and a battery cable end.

I fill my box with whatever suits the tasks at hand.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Ooooh, love this thread. I just bought a new toolbox to replace the plastic one on my L3200... It would be nice to keep a running 'list' in a priority order for such a box on this thread. Any takers on managing that?

Here's the toolbox I just purchased to go on the back, now to fill it with new tools for the L3200!
(Only $40 at the Home Despot)

Attachments

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Ooooh, love this thread. I just bought a new toolbox to replace the plastic one on my L3200... It would be nice to keep a running 'list' in a priority order for such a box on this thread. Any takers on managing that?

Here's the toolbox I just purchased to go on the back, now to fill it with new tools for the L3200!
(Only $40 at the Home Despot)
ShaunRH

Nice. How did you mount it to your tractor? Can you share some pics? My first attempt to mount my ammo box didn't go so well. Thanks

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
ShaunRH

Nice. How did you mount it to your tractor? Can you share some pics? My first attempt to mount my ammo box didn't go so well. Thanks
I have not mounted it yet. My intent, if I'm unable to recycle the original mounts (which is likely), is to run angle iron across the ROPS with a proper support assembly down to the closest sturdy mounted point that will accept it and put the box on a metal plate with pins to locate it in the 4 holes in the mount points on the bottom of the box. I can then put N50 magnets near the pins to hold the box down, that way I can remove it if I need to take it someplace near the tractor. It'll probably take a lever to get it off the plate mount, but I can build that into the mount too.

So it'll take some fabrication work. If you don't have the fabrication abilities for steel, you could accomplish the same thing in wood but it will be larger to achieve the same strength. You could fab it up in steel just using holes and bolts as well but I'm going for welding.

My only major design criteria are:
It fits the toolbox.
It is fully removable (the assembly).
The toolbox can come off relatively easily.

Beyond that, it's all open to being changed.

I'm just looking for a great list to put into the toolbox right now. Some of the things are... DUH, other ideas are things I didn't really think about...

I know on my old iron I need to keep Starting Fluid in it, but not sure if I'll need it in my Kubota box, maybe to start some other stranded or unstartable vehicle! :cool:

Lostdutchman

Equipment
L2850
Dec 31, 2013
Alaska
Bungee cord, hitch pins, hammer. Wd40 can, metric monkey wrench. Golf ball. Not sure why the golf ball is in there but haven't found a reason to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Seems like a good list is already started. I'll add ear plugs, shear pins for PHD, small pile of extra nuts, bolts and screws, razor knife and blades.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I include all wrenches needed to bleed lines, injectors, and a long, bendable bottle brush, to snake down in front of radiator, to get the junk out of the radiator...:D