Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@Fordtech86 and @Magicman - -

Heard on national news crawfish season might be a little stectchy/scarce because of drought your way…..

Are you seeing any evidence of that?

Only had your crawfish few times when I cooked a Seafood buffet at work.

Had local fresh water crawfish from crick behind the barn once when I got 8-10 of them at once. Okay but very small. Not as good as you guys have.

Used them for fishing bait more often….😉

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Are you seeing any evidence of that?
have seen/heard that, and yes it was really dry last year, and we had some climate change days this winter…but they say the same thing every year just like hurricane season 🤷‍♂️

they small and expensive this time of year, but one of the places on my ride home tonight had a line out the door. If I don’t post any by May then yeah it was bad 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was looking at that smoked brisket above with the thermometer in it, and I decided that my little sous vide gadget that clips onto a pot of water was a poor man's smoker. I ran across a recipe that turns chuck roast into prime rib with no additional browning or dirty pans. Take raw roast and cover with a tablespoon or so of Better than Bouillon (the secret weapon) , sprinkle liberally with Montreal Steak seasoning or rub of your choice, put in a plastic bag and remove air. Submerge in water and set temperature for doneness of choice, eg 136 or so for medium rare. Leave in for 24 hours. Remove and pat dry and serve. Yum! Melt in your mouth tender. No picture, it's down to the bone.
Sheepfarmer tell me more about this water thing you have

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The kind I have is an Anova model 500-10. There are lots of kinds, but I didn't particularly want to run mine off my phone. This one has on off, time, and temperature controls, all I need. I got mine at a local kitchen shop for about $100.

1000000090.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So it is a heating element that heats the water to a low temp, is that pot part of it or can you use any container ?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I was looking at that smoked brisket above with the thermometer in it, and I decided that my little sous vide gadget that clips onto a pot of water was a poor man's smoker. I ran across a recipe that turns chuck roast into prime rib with no additional browning or dirty pans. Take raw roast and cover with a tablespoon or so of Better than Bouillon (the secret weapon) , sprinkle liberally with Montreal Steak seasoning or rub of your choice, put in a plastic bag and remove air. Submerge in water and set temperature for doneness of choice, eg 136 or so for medium rare. Leave in for 24 hours. Remove and pat dry and serve. Yum! Melt in your mouth tender. No picture, it's down to the bone.
The kind I have is an Anova model 500-10. There are lots of kinds, but I didn't particularly want to run mine off my phone. This one has on off, time, and temperature controls, all I need. I got mine at a local kitchen shop for about $100.

View attachment 122920
Very interesting, may I suggest to add some Figaro mesquite/hickory liquad smoke. The Figaro is one of better brands to use, IMO. I've tried 6 or 7 others with my homemade jerky.

That brisket you saw was on a pellet smoker for about 11 hours, then self cooked when removed from smoker and placed inside ice cooler for another 90mins. It's really hard to duplicate a true smoked meat taste.

Dang, I sure would like try that method of water cooking.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Very interesting, may I suggest to add some Figaro mesquite/hickory liquad smoke. The Figaro is one of better brands to use, IMO. I've tried 6 or 7 others with my homemade jerky.

That brisket you saw was on a pellet smoker for about 11 hours, then self cooked when removed from smoker and placed inside ice cooler for another 90mins. It's really hard to duplicate a true smoked meat taste.

Dang, I sure would like try that method of water cooking.
Thank you I was wondering about trying a little liquid smoke. I have a brisket in the freezer, but too big for the sous vide. Need to find someone with a smoker nearby.

The sous vide is pretty easy, lots of recipes giving Temps, times, etc. Most call for a quick sear after it is done. Adds to the flavor.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Thank you I was wondering about trying a little liquid smoke. I have a brisket in the freezer, but too big for the sous vide. Need to find someone with a smoker nearby.

The sous vide is pretty easy, lots of recipes giving Temps, times, etc. Most call for a quick sear after it is done. Adds to the flavor.
A little bit of that liquid smoke goes a long way. I would stick to a lesser amount for your first try.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So it is a heating element that heats the water to a low temp, is that pot part of it or can you use any container ?
It is a combined heating element and water circulator. The pot is one I happened to have. Any container that is deep enough to cover the device will work. I use clothes pins to fasten ziploc bags to the edge and keep the meat submerged. Or you can weight it down with something. They sell special containers, but not really necessary.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Potatoes, salmon with honey, garlic and sriracha, plus some freezer Brussels sprouts roasted with the other stuff.

High temperature was 22 degrees today, so nothing to put on the grill.

IMG_6539.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We’re having some stuffed peppers in a while.

image.jpg