What's cookin' boys?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Coonass country is Western Louisiana sorta South of Interstate 10. The Acadians sorta migrated from the Newfoundland/Nova Scotia area and the "language" is sorta French, but not really.

Google will tell you that the term "Coonass" is offensive, but I have never seen any indication of that.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Fra Diavolo good to go. There’s linguini fini in there.
3AB45BFD-7F77-4B79-865E-691AB72A0908.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ribeye's tonight, with baked taters and a salad.

Ribeye's were cooked over natural lump charcoal with a chunk of mesquite firewood tossed in for good measure 🤓🤓🤓

20211114_165145.jpg

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
930D142B-C1EF-4A6E-B218-2D140E343AA8.jpeg

Teriyaki steak n noodles. And first attempt at homemade egg rolls…were good, but know what to change next time

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
And first attempt at homemade egg rolls…were good, but know what to change next time
Tried shrimp egg rolls a while back too. Were good, but not crispy. Flavor was right…better than I expected.

Did 3rd try few weeks ago.

Less liquid in cabbage filling, also cooked filling less.

Shallow fried instead of deep fried. Better. Not much options for egg roll wrappers…take what you get. A bigger wrapper would be better, I think…🤔

Yours look good….What would you change?

377047DD-3B97-463B-A146-EEB6238D37B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Tried shrimp egg rolls a while back too. Were good, but not crispy. Flavor was right…better than I expected.

Did 3rd try few weeks ago.

Less liquid in cabbage filling, also cooked filling less.

Shallow fried instead of deep fried. Better. Not much options for egg roll wrappers…take what you get. A bigger wrapper would be better, I think…🤔

Yours look good….What would you change?

View attachment 69770
To change- I had too much meat and not enough cabbage in the filling. I even thought I had cut back the meat enough before hand but after the cabbage had cooked down a bit it wasn’t really enough. Just went with it. I would also use a shredded pork or chicken next time I think.

I did mine in the air fryer (well wife did that part). I was outside with the grill and wok. I would have deep fried them, but I was using the fryer base for the wok so it wasn’t available. With restaurant experience Im sure you are the same way in getting all the cooked food done at basically the same time. Now if I just had that restaurant style kitchen in my house 🤔

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
To change- I had too much meat and not enough cabbage in the filling. I even thought I had cut back the meat enough before hand but after the cabbage had cooked down a bit it wasn’t really enough. Just went with it. I would also use a shredded pork or chicken next time I think.

I did mine in the air fryer (well wife did that part). I was outside with the grill and wok. I would have deep fried them, but I was using the fryer base for the wok so it wasn’t available. With restaurant experience Im sure you are the same way in getting all the cooked food done at basically the same time. Now if I just had that restaurant style kitchen in my house 🤔
You bet, like my short order days…all at once…” order up!! Table 19!! NOW!!” While banging the bell with my tongs… or the wedding reception of 400 is coming in now….

sometimes I’ve got the kitchen inside going, plus the grill and maybe a propane burner going for deep frying.

I thought about air fryer for the egg rolls, but really wanted to figure out how to get them together first. I may tinker with the air fryer another time, but I’m not going to rush that.

I’m just learning how to use an air fryer…..😳

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Me too 🤣 just picked one up a couple months ago. My son (7) has more experience with it then me 🤣
Last week I tried to make a venison pot roast in a crock pot without browning the meat (kitchen being remodeled, and didn't want to try browning it on a hot plate) . Flavor was disappointing, and it has sent me on a search for a lighter dutch oven! My old, inherited from my mother, dutch oven weighs 13lbs empty! And is too heavy for me to get out of wall oven safely with food in it.

Which has led to a search for induction compatible cookware preferably lighter. When I ordered that induction cooktop two years ago I still had full use of left hand, but now the thought of dropping any of my cast iron stuff on that glass doesn't sound advisable. It isn't installed yet, but its smaller size and flush mount will give me more counter space for prep work.

Anyone using induction that has pots pans they like? Anything magnetic will work, but I gather some of the stainless steel multiclad are better than others.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Last week I tried to make a venison pot roast in a crock pot without browning the meat (kitchen being remodeled, and didn't want to try browning it on a hot plate) . Flavor was disappointing, and it has sent me on a search for a lighter dutch oven! My old, inherited from my mother, dutch oven weighs 13lbs empty! And is too heavy for me to get out of wall oven safely with food in it.
For this particular situation, an Instant pot would have taken care of all that. We have one, don’t use it often, but it can be convenient.

Can’t help with the induction top, haven’t used one.

I have been wanting to get a new stainless pot and pan set, but another well known member here reminded me what I got works 😂 (I still want them btw 😂) If you haven’t cooked with them before there will be a learning curve.

I know you have previously mentioned knives and cutting boards along with not have full use of hands. There are slicers out there like this

Fullstar All-in-1 Vegetable Chopper, Mandoline Slicer & Cheese Grater | Multi Blade French Fry Cutter & Veggie Dicer | Includes Bonus Handheld Spiralizer & Kitchen Gadgets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VG4S38C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8AWSSKY9JQXT9FASR67W

that could make that safer and easier.

Don’t mean any of this to be rude, just trying to offer somethings that can make cooking safer and easier for you.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For this particular situation, an Instant pot would have taken care of all that. We have one, don’t use it often, but it can be convenient.

Can’t help with the induction top, haven’t used one.

I have been wanting to get a new stainless pot and pan set, but another well known member here reminded me what I got works 😂 (I still want them btw 😂) If you haven’t cooked with them before there will be a learning curve.

I know you have previously mentioned knives and cutting boards along with not have full use of hands. There are slicers out there like this

Fullstar All-in-1 Vegetable Chopper, Mandoline Slicer & Cheese Grater | Multi Blade French Fry Cutter & Veggie Dicer | Includes Bonus Handheld Spiralizer & Kitchen Gadgets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VG4S38C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8AWSSKY9JQXT9FASR67W

that could make that safer and easier.

Don’t mean any of this to be rude, just trying to offer somethings that can make cooking safer and easier for you.
Thank you, don't have an instant pot but if it browns as well as slow cooks it might be a good addition. Also will check out the cutting idea. Prepping veggies seems to take forever.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thank you, don't have an instant pot but if it browns as well as slow cooks it might be a good addition. Also will check out the cutting idea. Prepping veggies seems to take forever.
Yes you can do both (and more) with the Instant pot

My daughter loves hard boiled eggs, thats what it gets used for the most here 🤣

Couple weeks ago I did cheat and use it for pulled pork.

Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, 6 Quart, Stainless Steel/Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AH5FPEG8H4QPEYFWAJ5E?psc=1

I linked the 6 qt, you can also add an air fryer top to that model as well if interested (not sure if you have one or are interested in one)

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
it has sent me on a search for a lighter dutch oven! My old, inherited from my mother, dutch oven weighs 13lbs empty!

Anyone using induction that has pots pans they like? Anything magnetic will work, but I gather some of the stainless steel multiclad are better than others.
The multiclad is pretty heavy too. I like my Cuisinart tri-ply, but the 5 quart pot weighs almost 6 pounds. 'course 4 quarts of vittles is going to add 8 to 10 pounds. I have a cheap (Sunbeam :rolleyes:) set of stainless with clad bottoms I use for quick heat-ups. I think a better set of clad bottom pans is the sweet spot for most folks, unless you go aluminum.
My range has coil burners, so I can't comment on using them with induction.
Don't get the idea my cooking skills are anywhere near what the others on here post. I'm pretty limited to soups, chili, and pot roast! (Did fix a pot of black bean soup the other day.)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is our chest freezer. Typical of the week before Thanksgiving.

For years, my bride has sold Thanksgiving pies with all the proceeds to go to a local cause. Blackberry, blueberry, cherry, apple, pecan, pumpkin, etc.......

No pie fillings, etc., all fresh or frozen fruits, homemade crusts that she makes and rolls one at a time.

She said 63 pies on the order list this year. About 1/2 are sold/delivered frozen with instructions for baking. She bakes the other half before delivery.

We use another 3 or 5..maybe 6....

All are local to our town.

Over the years, she has donated to the school track team (our girls were part), fund-raisers to help build dug-outs, school scoreboards. Great stuff.

On a less-happy side, she has also provided aid to families fighting cancer, a foundation for our kid's buddy that committed suicide, and a family that lost a teenaged daughter to an alleged murder by an abusive boyfriend. Although not as joyous, the causes are equally deserving.

3896AB28-60DF-4B52-95D9-DDCA0CCD2E2C.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sheep - -

I can't help with induction, but I've heard people like them.

I think Ford gives good advice.

He's a pretty smart young fellar... :cool:

For slicing/chopping, something similar to his link could be helpful and safer than a knife.

Won't eliminate the risk, as you'll still need to use a knife for some prep, but mitigates it somewhat. Could be quicker as well, if you can manage the "less-complicated/coordinated" movements (does that make sense?) required for the chopper.

I don't know Instant Pots at all (had to look them up), but many of my co-workers use them with great reviews.

Reactions: 1 user