Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Photo062_28Small29.jpg

Da hambone is boilin'......
Photo067_28Small29.jpg

and da onions, celery, maters, & taters are diced and bubblin' along with peas, beans, corn, etc....
IMG_1196.JPG

So it was a bowl of Hambone Soup with cornbread tonight.

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Dug out our big crock pot this morning. Got a double batch of chili going. 👍👍👍

Dinner tonight and freeze the rest in individual to go containers to take for random lunches at work 😎😎😎😎😎

20211031_093319.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Prepping for broiled haddock, butternut, sautéed shrooms, brown rice and something with those riced veggies from the freezer…..

Ford - you obviously have a roux on the way….

You need a bigger cutting board….my splash zone is bigger than that… mine has been through a lot over the years. Has the scars to prove it….just like me. .:p

EF9E729F-F1ED-4900-8AC1-647ABCFDD0E6.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - - chili look super! Kids aren't coming over?

Ford - - what are meat pies?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
If he was in the Michigan UP it would be Pasties. ;)
DSCN1099_28Small29.JPG

DSCN1100_28Small29.JPG

DSCN1102_28Small29.JPG

Anytime we are in Michigan in the RV we always bring back a supply of frozen Pasties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - - chili look super! Kids aren't coming over?

Ford - - what are meat pies?
Haven't heard from the kids today. But even if they do come over, I'll still have a bunch left over to freeze for lunches 🤓🤓🤓

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Photo1176.jpg

I had my annual cardiologist visit today and all was OK so what better way to celebrate than fried catfish with all of the fixin's at the Cock of the Walk.

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Prepping for broiled haddock, butternut, sautéed shrooms, brown rice and something with those riced veggies from the freezer…..

Ford - you obviously have a roux on the way….

You need a bigger cutting board….my splash zone is bigger than that… mine has been through a lot over the years. Has the scars to prove it….just like me. .:p

View attachment 68884
RCW do you have a source for that size cutting board? I searched NSF but that seems to be a rating system. The poly types I saw didn't have the mat finish that would help keep stuff from sliding around. I have given up the old built in cutting surface in this kitchen remodel, and will have to go with cutting boards. Eagerly looking forward to counters again, but at least have plywood to get by temporarily.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW do you have a source for that size cutting board? I searched NSF but that seems to be a rating system. The poly types I saw didn't have the mat finish that would help keep stuff from sliding around. I have given up the old built in cutting surface in this kitchen remodel, and will have to go with cutting boards. Eagerly looking forward to counters again, but at least have plywood to get by temporarily.
This one is 15x20. 18x24 are also common.

Any Restaurant Supply should have them, although they have been a little scarce last couple years.

I figure about $15-20 +/- each.

If a restaurant supply isn't nearby. Not suggesting a whole set, but does show what the various colors are intended for. Amazon did have several single ones, various sizes/colors.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW do you have a source for that size cutting board?
This one is 15x20. 18x24 are also common.

If a restaurant supply isn't nearby. Not suggesting a whole set, but does show what the various colors are intended for. Amazon did have several single ones, various sizes/colors.

Mary - - the NSF is National Sanitation Foundation. Is a cert for commercially-rated food service equipment.

I bought that whole set tonight.

2-3 week expected shipping, but for us not an issue.

It did have a $24 shipping charge, but for $97 we got 6 of them. At $16 each, better to some on the way than not being able to find them.

We will use most of the colors as intended. They don't have the perimeter groove, but I'm okay with that.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mary - - the NSF is National Sanitation Foundation. Is a cert for commercially-rated food service equipment.

I bought that whole set tonight.

2-3 week expected shipping, but for us not an issue.

It did have a $24 shipping charge, but for $97 we got 6 of them. At $16 each, better to some on the way than not being able to find them.

We will use most of the colors as intended. They don't have the perimeter groove, but I'm okay with that.
A set seems like a good idea. I almost never cook raw chicken any more, was too hard to treat a food item like a hazardous substance in my old kitchen. I had to give up my idea of a seamless stainless steel sink and counter, but the new corian counter and flush mount sink will be safer than my old cracking formica by a long shot. The much smaller counter around the cooktop will be soapstone so I can slide hot pots onto it without having to aim for a trivet. Left hand only semi functional so another safety thing. Tiny kitchen so went with undercounter fridges to get 4 more feet of counter space. There is an extra 8 inches space next to sink cupboard so thinking of a rack for cookie sheets and cutting boards...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have to stop reading this thread!

Mouth is watering too much!
Henro - -

Maybe you need to learn some cooking skills!

Best way to quench that is by doing...

Never too soon....I'd be happy to help.

My Grandmother got me interested at 5-6.

Sometimes I'd find a puffball mushroom in the day pasture.

Had a patch of wild leeks in the day pasture.

Picked black- and raspberries in the pasture...

My mother was (and still is) a great cook too, but it my grandparent's pasture that had the treasurers....

My grandmother's inspiration lead me to feeding many 1,000's (millions?) of folks professionally in the bar/restaurant business.

I still love to cook today.

Sounds stupid, I'm sure. But for me, it's a creative outlet.