What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
John - wow - - - bet that apple stuff would go great in the smoke-R-ator!:)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Beef rub I used on the tongue and prime
Rub for anyone interested.
2 Tbsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Demerara sugar
2 tsp sweet paprika

A light coating is all you need. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for recipe! Going to try it today, no smoker but should be good in the oven. Have a little rolled rump roast. Going for med rare.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hey - I’m pretty pleased with this.

The handle is far from perfect...but so am I.....[emoji41]

Just lemon oil on the walnut right now. It’s been in my cellar for 20 years.

Like a lot of folks here, I tend to use stuff I have on hand, even if it needs re-purposing.

Now I wish I kept the $19 I spent for maple...[emoji15]

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We’re having greens with dumplings in the crock pot and fried haddock.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Squirrels have been getting cocky. Got one simmering.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
RCW, that knife turned out great! Fish looked good too. I debated frying the bass in the freezer or making the flank steak. Wife and kids wanted the steak so we had teriyaki steak and fried rice.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
John T how did the chicken turn out? I wonder how that would be on a pork loin in the smoker?

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Ok so if it's raining and nasty outside, here's a great recipe for cast iron skillet-baked chicken. It's my favorite way of preparing the bird.

A 5-pack of leg quarters will take 2 skillets.

Make up your favorite dry rub.

I only need to use salt, pepper, garlic and paprika in equal parts. Split the leg quarters, or just use whatever parts you like.. but thighs and legs seem to work best.

Let the dry rub stay overnight..i use a Ziplock bag for this. When ready to cook, let them rise to near room temperature.

Place your skillets in a cold oven and select 450 degrees. Let the skillets preheat along with the oven.

When the oven reaches 450, fire up a burner and place a skillet on it. Load chicken parts skin side down and do not crowd.

Repeat for the other skillet. Put them on the center rack back in the oven and leave for 20 to 25 minutes.

Flip once and finish cooking, about another 20 minutes, shoot for 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.

Set aside on a platter to rest.

You will get a deliciously crispy skin, and the meat will be moist.. and the drippings will make an excellent gravy. If you need gluten free gravy, use Pamela's GF pancake mix instead of flour...it works awesome!

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Yikes I forgot to mention..
While the hot skillet is on the burner hit it with a splash of your favorite cooking oil, letting it get up to almost smoking before adding the chicken.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Prepping for Thanksgiving dinner with the kids tomorrow. Dinners at our Son and Daughter in laws house. Wife and I are supplying the turkey, stuffing, and green bean casserole. I know it's late, but with two nurses in the family, it makes it hard since both were scheduled to work on Thanksgiving day.

Turkey is gonna be bag baked in the oven. Injected with creole butter and rubbed in cajun spices. :D

Made up my famous cornbread stuffing. Definitely a family favorite. It's cornbread, sage sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, with extra sage, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, dried cranberries, chicken stock, and a pound of salted butter :eek: I season to taste and only make it twice a year. Once for Thanksgiving and once for Christmas dinner.

Green bean casserole is a spin on the bland and boring. It's green beans, diced onions, 6 or 7 slices of apple wood smoked bacon fried and chopped into crumbles, condensed cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper, shredded chedder and Colby Jack cheese mixed in and topped with fried onions.

Here's a picture of the stuffing before going in the fridge for tomorrow :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm loving the detailed recipes! Keep em coming! Tried the Prime Rib rub on a rump roast and it was great :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is very late, but I was pretty pleased with this. Didn’t get a photo of the ham....

Did get one of the Mrs. pies....those (and 40 others) all left the house for her annual pie sale for a benefit she chooses each year.

This year pie sale $$ will go to the family of a local teenaged girl that was murdered by her boyfriend.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My what a spread, some fine grinding there!

Tell me about the mushrooms if you don't mind, that really caught my eye. I usually steam mine and drizzle olive oil on them but yours with what appears as a gravy with them looks awesome.

Thank you,
Jay

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tell me about the mushrooms if you don't mind, that really caught my eye.
Jay - -

Real simple. Any mushroom of choice works. Honestly I just use white button mushrooms.

I just saute mushrooms a little with some olive oil and garlic. You can even skip this step if you forget, which I did the other day...:eek:

Then add about even parts of tomato sauce of choice and "darker" red wine (burgundy or merlot).

I add some pepper, and a bay leaf sometimes. Simmer real low for 60 minutes or so, covered to keep the good juices inside.

Not really a Thanksgiving side dish, but my kids love those and have for years. Given the cooking time they're not alcoholic by any means, but there's some nice flavors working....:p You can certainly adjust the tomato/wine ratio to your preference.

My daughter visiting from California requested them....so Dad made them happen....:cool:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
RCW,
That sounds fine and thank you for the ingredients I'll be making them to go with my aged venison coming out this week.

The pies is an awesome idea. My mom makes a 10 layer chocolate cake that is to die for, the layers are super thin and only one person knows her icing secret.

Her goal some years back was to cook 100 of them in one year and the proceeds went to the church we attend. She made it to like 96 (need to ask her to confirm) before she gave up. I didn't eat one for years after that because any layer that broke and left over icing was there for us to finish up.

Take care my friend and thanks again for sharing your recipe.