What's cookin' boys?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
So what’s on y’alls thanksgiving menus? We don’t get to make our big family thanksgiving since we live 800 miles away. We have a good group of friends we celebrate holidays here with, but looking for ideas other then the traditional turkey meal.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
So what’s on y’alls thanksgiving menus? We don’t get to make our big family thanksgiving since we live 800 miles away. We have a good group of friends we celebrate holidays here with, but looking for ideas other then the traditional turkey meal.
If you're just trying to scale down, you can make a chicken the same way as the turkey, just cut the recipe for the stuffing. You could do a ham, smoke a pork butt or brisket. Osso bucco if you have shanks, venison works well for this.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just me and Mama , her kids might stop in for a bit or the grand kids,, But I think Im just going to do a turkey breast or 2 in the smoker and maybe a side dish or 2, she doesnt eat much any more, no point in having left overs no one will eat

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Do you peel your after cooking or after smoking?
Skeets, peel it when you take it out of the pressure cooker and let it cool. Super thin skin and it comes right off. I then let it set in the fridge overnight to cool thoroughly before adding rub and smoking it. The smoke is just for flavor, not cooking so you shoot for an internal temp on the tongue of 140-150, pull it off, slice and enjoy

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ford - that smoked loin looks awesome!

Johnjk - tongue is something I’ve never cooked or eaten...looks good. I’ve heard it’s great if you know what you’re doing, especially leftover in a sandwich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is one of the "beefiest" pieces of meat I've had. Great on a sandwich and even better chopped up in a tortilla with some home made pico, and a bit of guacamole.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks johnjk thats kind of what I was thinking. Never did one in the pressure cooker Mom just boiled them for a long time then skinned them, salt and pepper and we were happy campers. Any kind of rub you found that works well and what wood are you using for smoke. I think since it has been cooked the internal temp wouldnt matter to much, though I could be wrong :D

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks johnjk thats kind of what I was thinking. Never did one in the pressure cooker Mom just boiled them for a long time then skinned them, salt and pepper and we were happy campers. Any kind of rub you found that works well and what wood are you using for smoke. I think since it has been cooked the internal temp wouldnt matter to much, though I could be wrong :D
The pressure cook was with spices Mom would have used and rendered a nice broth. Fresh garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, parsley. If I did it on the stove, it would have been a 3hr cook vs 45min. I have a Prime Rib rub that I've made up over the years that I really like on beef. Will need to get the ingredients for you. You could just put the rub on directly, or use yellow mustard to help it stick. I'm not a mustard fan so I use that paprika paste instead. I've seen people use mayo as well. Whatever works for you there. Wood wise since it is beef I use a mix of hickory and white oak for smoke. For the fire, I use Royal Oak Lump charcoal. Internal temp doesn't really matter. You want to get as much smoke in to the meat without cooking it any more. Even the tip was tender and juicy off the smoker.

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. Still have some left in the freezer.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Cool,,, I use yellow mustard and to be honest you cant taste it once it has been smoked, I will do that more with pork or ham butts. Mayo with the oil might keep it a bit moister I dont know for sure. Since you are going for a smoked flavor about an hour?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Cool,,, I use yellow mustard and to be honest you cant taste it once it has been smoked, I will do that more with pork or ham butts. Mayo with the oil might keep it a bit moister I dont know for sure. Since you are going for a smoked flavor about an hour?
Yes sir, it was just over an hour on the smoker. What really helps it to let it rest a day and let that smoke absorb in to the meat. Good right off the grill but better the next day.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Came across this knife that was obviously father-in-law***8217;s. He passed 30 years ago.

It***8217;s a butcher knife, 12***8221; blade of carbon steel.

I***8217;m thinking I***8217;d like to take the handle off, and put another on.

If you are handy with wood, google knife handle blanks.
Ford - your advice was great.

I did some google searches, and figured out what I needed to do.

I ended up just buying some curly maple scales 3/8x1 1/2x 6" on line. The knife needs a larger scale than common, but it was easier to buy the scales for $19 with shipping than drive an hour to get some 4-1/4 (1") material and mill it. I also have cutler's rivets coming ($11).

There's much better material, and I prefer a darker wood. But being a forester, there's some exotic species I preferred not to buy. Some other native woods sound like they're so hard to be brittle, and I'd rather just buy them once....:eek:

I'll need epoxy, but should be good otherwise....oh, except for the additional knife block I ordered....($25).

While gone 30 years, my father-in-law is worth the $55, and his daughter is happy that I'm doing this....

When the Mrs. is happy, it's called "peace in the valley....":)

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ford - your advice was great.

I did some google searches, and figured out what I needed to do.

I ended up just buying some curly maple scales 3/8x1 1/2x 6" on line. The knife needs a larger scale than common, but it was easier to buy the scales for $19 with shipping than drive an hour to get some 4-1/4 (1") material and mill it. I also have cutler's rivets coming ($11).

There's much better material, and I prefer a darker wood. But being a forester, there's some exotic species I preferred not to buy. Some other native woods sound like they're so hard to be brittle, and I'd rather just buy them once....:eek:

I'll need epoxy, but should be good otherwise....oh, except for the additional knife block I ordered....($25).

While gone 30 years, my father-in-law is worth the $55, and his daughter is happy that I'm doing this....

When the Mrs. is happy, it's called "peace in the valley....":)
Good deal! Please post pics of the finished product!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Beef rub I used on the tongue and prime
Rub for anyone interested.
2 Tbsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Demerara sugar
2 tsp sweet paprika

A light coating is all you need. Enjoy

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Before the curly maple scales came in, I routed around and found a piece of Black Walnut.

Stuff is soft, but looks good. I started milling some to fit. Also drilled out the old rivets.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Wow, the corrosion under the old scales is really bad....

I’m not going to really work it, but it’s pretty deep...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Clamped up for drilling.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Epoxy on, riveted. Brought it into the kitchen to cure overnight.

Will grind wood tomorrow.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That looks like an Old Hickory, (they were made in I believe Olean NY) butcher knife, they were a staple of farms and homes all over the country. Many people are buying new ones and moding them in to bush knifes. You are to be commended for making the old gal like new again
Dont be afraid to use it, that thing has got another 100 years of cutting left in it! :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That looks like an Old Hickory, (they were made in I believe Olean NY) butcher knife, they were a staple of farms and homes all over the country. Many people are buying new ones and moding them in to bush knifes. You are to be commended for making the old gal like new again

Dont be afraid to use it, that thing has got another 100 years of cutting left in it! :D

Thanks for that information, skeets. I don’t see any marks in it. Olean is a couple hours from here.
I do intend to use it, it takes a decent edge. I have it almost sharp already.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Got some chix thighs on the smoker now ...

Wife picked up some new rub last night
Smells good so far....

Be ready soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro