What not to do....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Saw this posted on a Kubota forum. L3200, 241 HRS.

So here's the story. customer let buddy use it. fuel gauge didn't work. buddy ran it out of fuel
tried bled air out. in process of cracking lines he twisted nozzles on injection pump. didn't know he did. got pissed when couldn't get it to fire so he sprayed half can to her

1708098278901.jpeg

1708098312029.jpeg

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I always thought you wern't sposed to use ether or starting fluid with glow plugs ....

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Ouch. Costly mistake. This is why I don’t lend out things with gas or diesel motors. Need some sugar no prob. Quick boost yup. Can I borrow your chop saw? sure no prob. Can I use your tractor. Heck no what about your truck? F no. But I will give you a hand and be the operator when I’m available if that works. I have learned the lesson the hard way more then once. Now I’ll offer to help but won’t lend out certain things.

Reactions: 5 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Three things I never lend out - IN NO particular order:

Chain saw
Wife
Tractor

the first and last I will USE in front of you btw ! :LOL: ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Ouch. Costly mistake. This is why I don’t lend out things with gas or diesel motors. Need some sugar no prob. Quick boost yup. Can I borrow your chop saw? sure no prob. Can I use your tractor. Heck no what about your truck? F no. But I will give you a hand and be the operator when I’m available if that works. I have learned the lesson the hard way more then once. Now I’ll offer to help but won’t lend out certain things.
Same. I might lend you my tractor but if I do you get the operator with it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OUCH !!! Customer and buddy should split the repair 50/50
Customer supplied tractor with a defective fuel gauge....
Buddy used can of ether....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If ether is used to start an engine the safest way is to spray outside the air intake a ways so the spray is taken to all cylinders and not concentrated.

No procedure is advised for Kubota engines though!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When my buddy Chuck and I use each other’s stuff…..(because he and I are the ONLY ones we’ll lend to)….and something breaks…. the one using it when it breaks pays to have it fixed!

We know that going-in. It’s never been said. It’s just how we are.

He once loaned me his truck w/gooseneck… and the right rear tire blew-out wrecking the steel wheel/rim…. I bought an identical new wheel and tire and had it installed.

He borrowed my pressure-washer and the recoil-starter disintegrated…. and he took it to a small engine repair shop who installed an all-new recoil starter. (I fussed at him over that one because I had already replaced that damn recoil starter myself under warranty…and it was STILL under warranty.)

But that’s how we roll when we borrow stuff.

To the OP: Customer’s “buddy” owes for an engine rebuild/replacement. IMO

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Three things I never lend out - IN NO particular order:

Chain saw
Wife
Tractor

the first and last I will USE in front of you btw ! :LOL: ;)
Chain saw and Tractor cannot "lend" THEMSELVES out.
Wife can!
Just ask me how I know!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
All the reasons in this thread not to lend things out are the same reasons why I don't borrow either. Hire, rent or buy results in no surprises or hard feelings.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
There are friends and family that I would loan anything to. There are others that I would not give the time of day. I have never gotten anything back in worse condition than when it was loaned.
I suspect that the brother-in-law would return the tractor in better shape than when he got it. Kind of anal but, his equipment is far better maintained than mine.
LMAO. He is on his third or fourth significant other. But his tractors are sweet !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I wouldn't say the 'buddy' was stupid. Until I came to this website , I never knew you couldn't spray ether into a KUBOTA diesel engine. For 15 years I did 3 squirts into my Buda, started every time. You see truckers and heavy equipment guys on TV or at job sites, ether is used....all the time. So from that perspective KUBOTA is the 'odd man out'....using ether would be normal....
Running out of fuel was due to defective gauge. Unknown, but I suspect it read fuller than it was ? The buddy refueled, primed the engine and it didn't start. maybe not enough battery for glow plugs and starter ? Don't know, but unless you KNOW Kubotas don't like ether, you'd pist 2-3 shots in and spin the starter, after all that's how it's done..all diesels are the same, right ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There are friends and family that I would loan anything to. There are others that I would not give the time of day. I have never gotten anything back in worse condition than when it was loaned.
I suspect that the brother-in-law would return the tractor in better shape than when he got it. Kind of anal but, his equipment is far better maintained than mine.
LMAO. He is on his third or fourth significant other. But his tractors are sweet !
Maybe all his SO's were "sweet' also?
Perhaps none were the correct model?

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I remember reading on a ford forum a year or so ago about a guy who let a buddy borrow his six month old truck to pick up some stuff.
The buddy used it and backed the truck into its parking spot at the owers home.
Thanked him. Had a beer as they were best friends. The truck owner used the truck the next day and when he returned to the walking towards the passenger side the trucks front door and rear door was sliced open up about 3" on the bottom of the doors. Front to back. He was shocked. He went back in the store, called the police, looked at there security cameras, the damage was already there when he arrived.
He called his best friend.
He knew nothing about the damage.
He knew his buddy had gone to tractor supply the day before with his truck. He went to tractor supply. 30 minutes later he watched a video of his friend cutting the corner sharp and putting the trailer hitch into the trucks doors and stopped after the trailer tongue bounced off the rear tire, got out checked out the damage and drove away....
He called the police again.
The story was true as he posted the sliced open door photos...
A lesson for everyone.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I remember reading on a ford forum a year or so ago about a guy who let a buddy borrow his six month old truck to pick up some stuff.
The buddy used it and backed the truck into its parking spot at the owers home.
Thanked him. Had a beer as they were best friends. The truck owner used the truck the next day and when he returned to the walking towards the passenger side the trucks front door and rear door was sliced open up about 3" on the bottom of the doors. Front to back. He was shocked. He went back in the store, called the police, looked at there security cameras, the damage was already there when he arrived.
He called his best friend.
He knew nothing about the damage.
He knew his buddy had gone to tractor supply the day before with his truck. He went to tractor supply. 30 minutes later he watched a video of his friend cutting the corner sharp and putting the trailer hitch into the trucks doors and stopped after the trailer tongue bounced off the rear tire, got out checked out the damage and drove away....
He called the police again.
The story was true as he posted the sliced open door photos...
A lesson for everyone.
Some people just plain lack integrity!