What is the proper way to adjust a rotary cutter

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Greetings. Question for those with more experience. What is the proper way to adjust the front height of a rotary mower?

I have a BX2380 with a quick hitch and a 48"Land Pride rotary cutter. I have been lowering the three point arms and then turning the top link to raise the front of the mower to about an inch off the ground to set my cut height.

When mowing for a bit, it seems like the front of the mower lowers to the ground and I have to get off the tractor, and adjust the top link.

Is it proper to use the top link to adjust the rotary mower, or can you use the hydraulic lift of the three point to raise the front of the mower a little.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The three point control should control your front height. I’m not sure how the 1/4 inching control the bx series has work, but on mine with position control I set the stopper for the 3 pt to where I ant the front to ride, then I set the top link longer to keep the back down when going over unlevel ground.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
However you set it and keep the setting, you want the mower to ride level, not front down or back down. I run a 96" Landpride rotary. Nice mower. 96 on the cut, 102" wide on the housing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This is what LandPride says, "Section 2: Adjustments 12/4/18 RCR2684 Rotary Cutter 312-785M.

Cutting Height, For best cutting efficiency, adjust lower 3-Point arm height such that the front cutter blade is approximately 1" lower than the rear cutter blade.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I have a 5 foot Bush Hog and the manual states to use the 3 pt lift lever to raise or lower the cutting height and measure that using a ruler at the front of the mower at the skid plates on each side to the height you want to cut. Then level the mower side to side using the handle on the 3pt arm. Then use the top link to raise or lower the rear of the mower to keep it level with the front. At this point block the rear of the mower and shut the tractor. Remove the bolt that attaches the wheel to the deck and then align it to the nearest hole on the plate so the wheel touches the ground. At this point restart the tractor and lower the mower to the ground, then slowly raise it using the 3pt lever so that the front raises about 2 1/2 to 3 inches or so before the rear wheel lifts off the ground. Use the top link to adjust that. You might have to repeat that a few times to get it right. That will make the wheel adjust to the level of the ground. I don't have a quick hitch and don't know if it makes a difference. Hope this helps. Important...
Do all this on level ground, concrete floor is good if you have one.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I'm with D2Cat on this. One inch lower in the front than in the back. Your mid-mount mower is the same, just a smaller difference from front to back.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Thanks for the replies. The Land Pride manual does say the front of the mower should be lower than the rear.

Our tractor came set up by the dealer and he adjusted the height of the front of the mower with the top link. Occurred to me for the adjustments on the trail you could just use the hydraulics to raise the mower a little. It is adjusted so the tail wheel is always on the ground.

The BX does not have the stop positions to enable you to get the implement in the same position all of the time, so I was curious as to what others were doing to fine tune.

I will say that the little 48 Land Pride does a great job.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
ZTman, you could get some "check chains" as described in the manual and once you have them adjusted you can just remove a lynch pin and remove the chains. Leave the links on the chain (or wire them to the chain link you want) and the mower will always be the same height at the front.

Leave the rear wheel on the ground. Have the top link adjusted in the center of its adjustment so when you go over a terrace your mower can follow correctly.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you hold the mower up you will scalp the ground anytime your front wheels go up a bump and the front wheels will be really light and won’t turn the tractor very well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I think you can buy the chain links at most farm stores. I had a friend make these for me. I use them on a flail mower that I want to keep about 8" off the ground.

One of the chain's link fits in the long slot. The opposite end fits up by your top link, where it connects to the tractor, or it can be down at the implement hitch pin. You can get by with two pieces if you bolt one end of your chain to the implement.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
ZTman, you could get some "check chains" as described in the manual and once you have them adjusted you can just remove a lynch pin and remove the chains. Leave the links on the chain (or wire them to the chain link you want) and the mower will always be the same height at the front.

Leave the rear wheel on the ground. Have the top link adjusted in the center of its adjustment so when you go over a terrace your mower can follow correctly.
ZTMAN -

This is the advice to follow. You don't have position control on a BX, so check chains are your answer.

Also, 'Cat mentioned the front being lower that the rear of the cutter.

He's done this stuff many times.....

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Did the dealer set yours up as it looks in your avatar picture? Looks like the back is way high. When I have my bush hog on and lifted all the way up the back sits lower then the front. I found doing it like that makes it follow the ground better over uneven ground. Maybe I’m doing it wrong lol. I assume your bush hog has the flex link on the top link like mine?

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
This is what LandPride says, "Section 2: Adjustments 12/4/18 RCR2684 Rotary Cutter 312-785M.

Cutting Height, For best cutting efficiency, adjust lower 3-Point arm height such that the front cutter blade is approximately 1" lower than the rear cutter blade.
That's interesting. My Woods rotary cutter says for best cutting, allow a slight increase in height at the rear, for ejection of cut material and prevent buildup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes indeed, we did. I just misread the comment, as requiring 1" higher in the front. Me bad....
I was trying to come up with a funny comment about which way is up... but to no avail....:p

No sweat.. we've ALL been there!

I read them a couple times to make sure I didn't frig it up! :)

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas

Ditto I was taught yrs back that front of rotary cutter should be set 1'' lower in front than the rear. On 3 pt cutter set the front height with 3 pt draft links & rear of cutter with tail wheel. Have center link set long enough to allow tail wheel to follow the terrain.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Front needs to be lower for a lot of reasons. One was already discussed. Another is that it takes less power to cut with just a couple inches of blade instead of the entire cutting edge. Cuts better too.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
his is the set up I made for my 640 Ford. The areas I mow are not exactly what you call golf course quality. Lots of humps bumps and stumps. Check chains keep a constant height on the deck. Old Fords are not exactly known for holding a constant height.
Also set the front 1" lower than the back.

Attachments

Last edited: