What if !!!!

Indiapaleale

Equipment
2013 L3800 with 150 hours 524 FEL aftermarket Simms Cab kubota 64" snowblower
Nov 27, 2017
Canada Cape Breton
Hi I have a L3800 hst that I use for snow removal as I travelled along the highway in the snow I wondered if I broke down what are my options to get this home and off the road. Can these be towed short distances without damaging anything if so is there a safe way to do it or is a trailer the only option I travel a few miles up the road every storm to do my father in laws driveway. As a precaution I did just change the fuel filter.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I can't answer your question about towng it with another vehicle you might have, but if I were in that kind of bind I'd call the nearest professional towing service with one of those tilting flatbeds that the tractor could be winched onto. This is under the assumption that weightwise if it could rescue my truck it could haul a tractor. Only problem is they are not used to hauling tractors and either might refuse the work or not know how to tie it down safely and you would have to provide that information. Interesting question.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
It should say in the owner's manual. My guess would be put the range selector in N, and make sure it's in 2wd. I don't know how well it will steer, or how easy the brakes will work.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Agree W/ the flatbed suggestion. The MX I own is slightly larger and it was delivered on this type of truck, rollbar upright.. Gear tractors have been towed since their inception. HST is a different scenario, and perhaps NIW will offer an answer.

Tractors are a significant investment, is it worth damaging the transmission in addition to correcting the breakdown issue ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Range selector in neutral disconnects the HST from the system, so towing is an option. ;)

Now steering on the other hand is going to be rough, that model is a Power Steering model as opposed to a Hydrostatic steering system, so it will work, it's just going to turn very hard till rolling, then just hard.

Brakes are manual so they will work the same, but make sure they are locked together as not to spin it sideways on braking. :eek:

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Not that I would ever doubt info provided by NIW... so this is more like corroborating evidence. When our B2410 was delivered it came on a tilt 'n load truck. The dealer delivery guy got a bit of a surprise when he started tilting the truck bed and the tractor started to roll until it got brought up short by the winch cable. As it turns out, our lovely HSD tractor had been parked on the truck with the range selector in Neutral. Ooops!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
L3800 HST weighs 2668 pounds, or 1210 kg. That's just the tractor with ROPS.

Not a problem for a tow truck.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Why would it break down? I think it's pretty unlikely. If it did, just put the HST range selector into neutral and now there is no worry of transmission damage. As someone mentioned, the brakes are completely manual and would work the same. Steering would be the issue. A small tow dolly to get the front wheels off would be adequate.

Long answer short - with someone on the machine for steering and braking, you could pull it home with a pickup, or basically any kind of vehicle. These are not particularly heavy machines. But the preferable way would be a trailer or flatbed.

Indiapaleale

Equipment
2013 L3800 with 150 hours 524 FEL aftermarket Simms Cab kubota 64" snowblower
Nov 27, 2017
Canada Cape Breton
Thanks everyone very happy to hear that you can tow these hst tractors (just in case the need arises ) I actually tried it this evening putting it in neutral on a slight grade and she moved with very little resistance. Thank you for all your responses it was very helpful awesome place for great information

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Only thing I would add is that they’re not built for speed if towing....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Yes I agree and don’t lower your FEL to the ground
This question is not specifically directed to Indiapaleale. His comment got me thinking.

If the loader was down to the ground and the tractor was not running, would you be able to lift the front end loader with another vehicle as long as someone was at the loader control to allow fluid flow through the system?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
This question is not specifically directed to Indiapaleale. His comment got me thinking.

If the loader was down to the ground and the tractor was not running, would you be able to lift the front end loader with another vehicle as long as someone was at the loader control to allow fluid flow through the system?
Couldn’t you just put the loader in float,granted the loader valves have float mode?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Done it quite a few times, Jack them up and block them, or even simpler run the tow cable under the loader bucket up to the frame, set the brakes on the tractor and give a little pull on the tow cable and second person engages the FEL control like they want it to go up, it will and then let go of the lever an it will stay up. ;)