What equipment is needed to level a bermuda pasture?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I have 10 acres of bermuda pasture (used for hay production) with is primarily sandy loam soil.

What's the best approach.......what equip is needed......to level this out?

Thoughts and suggestions muchly appreciated!!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Level out???? Should be smooth as it is if it was in hay.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Show us a picture so we can see what happened since the last hay harvest. It will allow for some realistic ideas.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Same thoughts here. Pictures would help greatly.
Perhaps a better explanation would be to say that the ground is uneven (as you would expect to fine in a native pasture), making it a rough ride on the tractor when mowing, spraying, etc. A photo would not show these minor variations. Hope that helps explain my situation/question.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In as much as I'm a commercial forage grower I don't understand the levelling out part. All my hayfields are smooth, they have to be for maximum yield.

Now, if the previous owner ran stock on them, they could be tore up and depending on end use (now) a discing or chisel plow and disc will restore the smoothness. My ground is sandy loam as well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Disk multiple directions, harrow multiple directions, reseed.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you have a tiller that will level out the areas and the grass will fill back in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you have a tiller that will level out the areas and the grass will fill back in

Running a tiller on 10 acres would be an exercise in futility. Tillers are fine for gardens, about it. What a disc is made for.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Running a tiller on 10 acres would be an exercise in futility. Tillers are fine for gardens, about it. What a disc is made for.

I did not say to till 10 acres. I said to use the tiller on the rough spots which I doubt is the complete 10 acres.

But I guess you have a better idea

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I did not say to till 10 acres. I said to use the tiller on the rough spots which I doubt is the complete 10 acres.

But I guess you have a better idea

Like I said previously, a tiller is fine for a garden or doing a lawn but for 10 acres, always a disc harrow.

I own a tiller but it's a rear tine walk behind for the garden. I also own a bat wing disc harrow and 10 acres is a 45 minute job.

All about the right tool for the job. Like some wise man said... Don't bring a slingshot to a gunfight because you'll lose.:)

One thing people don't understand about a tiller and that is, a tiller brings up the subsoil while a disc harrow breaks up the topsoil. When seeding you want to leave the topsoil on top and the subsoil undisturbed.

Not my better idea, I think it was Cyrus McCormick's idea about 100 years ago.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Wendol, do you own any tillage equipment of any kind? If you do let us know and we can make better suggestions as to what is best to use. Contrary to what some think, there is several implements that could be made to work if you own any tillage equipment.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Like said in post #7..

We have a couple pastures that are reclaimed bush and heavy timer. This was about 20 years ago and they were left to revert to bush with only some sparse grazing to keep them clear.

It was slowly creeping back to bush with a lot of Fire Weed, Thimble Berry and other stuff that makes good jam. Jam is wonderful but nothing will eat those plants.

In the last 3 years I have done like post #7. Reseed with annual rye over winter and such. Using the rye as ground cover and green fertilizer of sorts.
This process started with brush hog every thing down to about 15 cm high. Some of it was as much as 1.5 meter tall. Brush hog small patches again down to 5 cm, level out the rough spots as described in post #7, then seed and cover seed for good contact. We finished with planting several short shelter belts of sorts in spots that will retain snow for the best benefit of the pasture. About 2/3 of each shelter belt is native berry bushes. In this area all the trees and bushes require moose proof cages to keep them from being browsed off right away.

Once an area starts to re establish its self, you need to brush hog to keep thistle and other unwanted things at bay. The pasture/hay plants will take mowing in stride.

This can be done reasonably economically, but you can't skimp on the seat time and effort to make it good. It surely is not a one pass and done effort.

My 5 cents of experience and opinion for this area of the world.
Your needs may vary.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Wendol, do you own any tillage equipment of any kind? If you do let us know and we can make better suggestions as to what is best to use. Contrary to what some think, there is several implements that could be made to work if you own any tillage equipment.
The only thing I have is a 72" 3 pt tiller that I've used occasionally to smooth out ruts/tracks from trucks that have made heavy deliveries such as soil, landscape rock, etc.

Since receiving post #7, I've been considering a Land Pride Disc Harrow DH1572.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The only thing I have is a 72" 3 pt tiller that I've used occasionally to smooth out ruts/tracks from trucks that have made heavy deliveries such as soil, landscape rock, etc.

Since receiving post #7, I've been considering a Land Pride Disc Harrow DH1572.
Pretty hard to wear one out. Usually the bushings need replaced or a couple discs because they get broken. People tend not to grease them properly in as much as they aren't like a tractor with in your face maintenance.

Consequently, unless you have lots of spendable income, if it was me, I'd peruse a website like Fastline or Equipment Trader and buy a used disc harrow. Some things I buy new but in this case, used is as good as new....

Bought my bat wing on equipment trader for about half what a new one costs and the only thine wrong with the one I bought was a leaky fold cylinder and the paint wore off the discs.

Farm auctions are also a good place to pick up used implements (and tractors). Got my eye on a JD FWA utility tractor in the 90 horse class with a cab. Might buy it if the price is right.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What do you have for a tractor to run it? A pull type harrow will work better than a 3 point hitch one for a couple reasons. 1) Because they are not rigidly mounted they can follow the ground better and maintain a more constant working depth. 2) The weight per disc tends to be a lot higher on pull type which makes them cut better.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
What do you have for a tractor to run it? A pull type harrow will work better than a 3 point hitch one for a couple reasons. 1) Because they are not rigidly mounted they can follow the ground better and maintain a more constant working depth. 2) The weight per disc tends to be a lot higher on pull type which makes them cut better.
Kubota L3800 HST. Thanks for the info/recommendations.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
An L 3800 HST don't have the gumption to pull a batwing disc but a straight one less that 8 gangs should be no issue.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Level out???? Should be smooth as it is if it was in hay.
Since I see you live in the far North you don't have pests such as fire ants,gophers combined with feral hogs to make your smooth hay field very rough. I'll 2nd utilizing a disk harrow pulled in several directions followed by a drag of some description pulled in several directions ideally when grass is dormant.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Since I see you live in the far North you don't have pests such as fire ants,gophers combined with feral hogs to make your smooth hay field very rough. I'll 2nd utilizing a disk harrow pulled in several directions followed by a drag of some description pulled in several directions ideally when grass is dormant.
Would winter time in December be too late?

I need to do about 8 of my 10 acres in SE Vermont and it's got to spitting snow and around freezing temps and am afraid it's gotten too late in the year.
Lenny