What do you feed your dog?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's a link to a review that does not get funded by a food manufacturer.

We've been feeding Science Diet Adult, but I need to do some homework!

On the forum I got the link from one person way suggesting SportsmansPride. I checked it out and it's available at local Wal-Mart stores.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I just picked up a shepherd 10 months ago. The breeder I found not only highly recommended, but practically demanded me to feed him "taste of the wild." A loving woman who takes her pups seriously. You can pick it up at tractor supply. She said a lot of the companies out there aren't regulated and it's the only brand she trusts and never had any issues with her dogs. She said a lot of new owners will pick up Eukanuba and other high priced dog foods and they came back with their dogs having tract issues or hair falling out. So far so good with me.

Here's a recent shot of my beast. He's so smart!

Attachments

Last edited:

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I have an 8 month old female GSD and feed her Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula. She seems to do very well on it. Nice shiny coat...

Ted

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cat- we've used Nutro Lamb and Rice with this boxer since a pup. That's what the breeders vet recommended. After the puppy chow, we went to the large breed formula.
You have to be a little careful not to feed something too rich for large dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yeah, as the guy on your link described, near impossible to be certain about pet food ingredients.

I have fed Science Diet for decades to various dogs. During the melamine recalls they were never listed. Some breeders I know don't like it, and some recipes list cellulose as an ingredient as a source of fiber. Bad? I don't know, some things could be worse. Cellulose after all is plant fiber. Mine seem to do fine on it.

I have tried Blue Buffalo and some of the others like Call of the Wild and couldn't live with the smells emanating from the dogs.

I think it was Blue Buffalo that had a problem with toxic levels of a vitamin in one of tneir foods about 2 years ago (diagnosed here at MSU).

I have recently ended up feeding Royal Canin to the cats for various reasons, both a prescription diet for kidney function and the tiny kitten recipes, and the cats like it. Very expensive, but smells a lot more edible than most. They make dog food but I haven't tried it yet.

I also feed Nutro canned to one dog that has problems with regurgitating, mostly because one of the flavors mushes down easily to a gruel.

I wouldn't recommend the frozen raw foods...too risky to have in your own kitchen.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We've been a science diet family for 13 years now :D Probably not gonna switch anytime soon. Our jack Russell terrier has food allergies. Out of the store bought stuff he can only handle blue buffalo, and science diet. Or the really expensive foods sold at the vets office :eek:

Tried jack on the blue buffalo, and he did really well. With one exception. His gas would run you outside even if a tornado was coming thru :eek::p So science diet it is :D

For some reason, pet smart tries to force the blue wilderness on customers. To the tune, that they make you feel guilty buying anything else. So it's gotten to the point we try to avoid the training staff there.

We've always followed our vets advice on the dogs. Except where our dachshund was concerned. Then the vet was asking us for advise :confused: Apparently zeus was the perfect build for his breed :cool: Had to tell the vet that we didn't do squat except keep him in a bottomless bowl of science diet. He grazed and ate when he wanted. And he had 1 1/2 acres to run on and was outside all day most days unless it was too hot or cold out :D

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Another vote for Taste of the Wild - Wetlands in our case.

It is good that you have done the research. By all means, avoid anything with corn in it. Totally undigestable for dogs. Don't believe it? Feed the dog an ear of corn and observe what happens the next morning. :p

Another recommended choice is Kirkland Lamb/Rice or Chicken/Rice from Costco. It gets great reviews. It is economical if that is a concern.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
One of our dogs had allergy problems and kept licking her stomach. The saliva turned it blood red but some Dinovite seems to have resolved that. The dogs are not big fans of the powder supplement but love the Lick-a-chops oil supplement we dabble on their food. Much less expensive if you buy it 6 at a time.

My wife orders the "latest and greatest" brand every few months because the fur piggies get bored with the same brand for more than three months. I carry the boxes in from UPS wondering, "What's in a bag that costs $75???"

One thing my wife found on the 'Net was home made dog food. Its more of a random treat but, she made up a big pot of chicken and rice and vegetables and anything else that had been in the freezer for a few months. Then, she freezes it in ZipLoc bags and chucks a bag in the fridge to thaw out the day prior. The dogs absolutely love it.

These beggars are totally spoiled. I call them "the coyotes in costumes that we let in our house." Their all-time favorite is eggs or anything with eggs. They hunt quail eggs each spring in the yard... The look of anticipation after getting a piece of buttery English Muffin with blackberry jelly is hilarious. The swishing sound of my females huge tail on the floor afterwards says it all.

The vet likes their weight and, except for being cooped up after noon in the summer, they love walking twice a day, off leash (electric collar). Can't do that in summer with my male as he tends to run after deer or Javalina or rabbits and runs where snakes might be. He stays on a leash until the snake risk goes away. He got bit a couple years ago but we had just put them on the Rattlesnake vaccine. It seemed to have helped him.

Why is it we can babble more about our furry kids than our real kids?

:)

Attachments

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
Royal Canin. You can tell that it sells itself because they hardly advertise and the bags are at the most inconvenient part of the pet superstores.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Victor Grain Free. Before that Taste of the Wild.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Loyal Life, made by Nutrena
and
Merrick

Most normal dog food's do not work well with Northern breed dogs (huskies, Malamutes) and wolf dogs, they need more protein and fat to stay warm and work hard,

Now our wolves eat everything healthy, some will do meat and veggies, others just meat, or the occasional trespasser. ;)

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
Nutro lamb and rice or chicken and rice. Did feed purina one with no problems but to many calories dog was getting fat. Can save moneybuying from someone like Jet.com or Chewy.com. Much cheaper than pet smart and usually free shipping.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Blue Seal Low Calorie with some boiled chicken for extra protein, my bull dog loves it. It does tend to give her some gas :eek: