What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Did firewood things. And I see why everyone wants these totes.
IMG_5380.jpeg

IMG_5381.jpeg

Had a pile loose in the yard and filled up 3 of my 5 I picked up last week. Would ideally like to have 10. I still have the bladders, may cut them to use as a lid.

Reactions: 9 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the info, I never thought of “grilling before killing” them. (Sorry, couldn’t help myself) The cactus was not in the best of shape when I dug them up. We went thru a period of sub-zero temps which hurt (not killed) them. They were kind of purple on the side exposed & green next to the ground. It is amazing what the cactus can endure & still survive.
I also believe I am winning my war on prickly pear on my 242 acres. I’ll watch the fire & add wood as needed. I don’t want any to get away.
Do you use herbicides on the cactus? I’ve read Remedy & diesel fuel works pretty good.
My 5 acres backs up to a “river” that is small but always running. I try to avoid most herbicides although I did use roundup for Johnson grass. I don’t have enough cactus on 5 acres to need the herbicide treatment. I can see that need on your amount of acreage though. Here is a link to a control method from Texas A&M, I imagine your state has a similar college with similar information.

Here is a method using a mechanical device behind the tractor. I have no idea how well it works but the principle is sound. And I have no idea if they are still selling the product.

I am surprised that Kansas has that much prickly pear but it is a tough plant. They grow up on trees and poles here when seeds are deposited into the right place. Freezes here stunt it and it gets that purple color but it doesn’t die back much.

I think most of what was on my property was due to a severe flooding event washing it into the flood plain and then the previous owner mowing it down (not a good idea).

Good luck with your eradication efforts.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have the Greenlee "Slugbuster" set to... 2-1/2".
Damn: Had no idea that set now goes for $637.
I bought mine 25 years ago,....don't remember price.
I think all mine came from estate & garage sales. (read cheap!)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Did several little things with the L. And wouldn’t have nearly as small and relatively effortless without it.

First thing was a little “new machine” maintenance on the new Farmi winch. It has a few hours on it now and has been great, but last pull (which was a hard pull), there was a not nice grinding sound for a couple seconds before I could get off the clutch. Being a big brainless, I got back on the clutch, finished the pull without further incident, and later pondered the origin of the sound. Didn’t take long to suspect the drive chain in the winch was loose and had slipped.

OM makes it look like chain tensioning is on about the same level of difficulty as cooking a Pop-Tart so I grab a couple wrenches and dive into what should be some really shallow water.
IMG_1945.jpeg

For whatever reason I’m expecting the lack of detail to mean this to be pretty straightforward: access panel somewhere or something else obvious. Wrong (at least for my stupid self).

I know where the chain is because it’s a really simple machine and there’s only one place for it to be. That and I can just barely see it. Can feel though, so I know it’s way loose.
IMG_1934.jpeg

Probably everyone here has one of these but this LED lighted mirror on a double knuckle mount on the end of a collapsible metal stick is awesome for stuff like this.

After seeing it, I could see to loosen the two bolts, use a screwdriver in one of the upper holes to pry over the idler, rotate the eccentric plate with the two small holes to help hold it in place, and tighten the bolts.

The chain was VERY loose. My bad for not checking it. I’m aware roller chains aren’t supposed to be “tight” but the slack in this thing was way out. Don’t know if it came that way or stretched a bit breaking in or what. Regardless, no damage based on visual and tactile inspection of the chain and cogs, so adjusted it.
IMG_1935.jpeg

Then used the forks to swap a couple couches around. I’m probably supposed to know why that needed doing, but I don’t. I know wife wanted couches swapped and I didn’t care so long as I retain the ability to sit somewhere occasionally. No pics. Imagine the couch of your choice sitting on forks on a loader. Thats what it looked like.

Then used it as a wheelbarrow to fill in a depression in the yard at the unoccupied house. Wife had been complaining about it once in a while for a few months. Don’t know if there was an old stump there or what caused the depression. Filled it in with some creek/swamp dirty sand, put some grass seed on it that probably won’t germinate due to temps, and on to other stuff.
IMG_1941.jpeg

Wanted to shrink one of the brush piles and wanted some fresh chips for a couple upcoming projects so spent a little time chipping.
IMG_1942.jpeg
IMG_1944.jpeg

BTW, I’m aware the rather large beech tree is hollow and sort of rotting at the bottom. It was damaged by the track loader that graded the lot off 30 years ago when we built our house. Knocked a chunk out of the bottom and cut a LOT of the roots on one side. For a couple years the wound grew and the leaves came out on only part of the tree. After a while it stabilized and has been thriving for the past 25 years or so. That and if it fell, it wouldn’t hit anything other than a bunch of scrawny trees. I fully expect it to be standing long after I’m gone.

Reactions: 4 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I burned my brush pile & chicken coup this morning. I’m pretty sure the prickly pear & some cockle burrs were consumed in the flames.
IMG_9994.jpeg
IMG_9998.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My 5 acres backs up to a “river” that is small but always running. I try to avoid most herbicides although I did use roundup for Johnson grass. I don’t have enough cactus on 5 acres to need the herbicide treatment. I can see that need on your amount of acreage though. Here is a link to a control method from Texas A&M, I imagine your state has a similar college with similar information.

Here is a method using a mechanical device behind the tractor. I have no idea how well it works but the principle is sound. And I have no idea if they are still selling the product.

I am surprised that Kansas has that much prickly pear but it is a tough plant. They grow up on trees and poles here when seeds are deposited into the right place. Freezes here stunt it and it gets that purple color but it doesn’t die back much.

I think most of what was on my property was due to a severe flooding event washing it into the flood plain and then the previous owner mowing it down (not a good idea).

Good luck with your eradication efforts.
Meh, Johnson grass is easy. Just keep it cut and don’t let it head out. We had about an acre of it between our house and the dog yard when I was in a kid. A friend of the family gave me his old Yazoo brush mower, and I had a stepdad who believed nothing but trouble would come from an idle teenager. Grass cutting was my chore to keep me outta trouble in the summer. I started with a path about 4 feet wide in 7 foot tall grass and kept at it until the bermuda that was under the Johnson choked out the Johnson. I’d burn it off after the first frost, and cut as much as I could outrun every spring. The biggest problem I had was that I now had nearly 2 acres to cut with a push mower. My folks bought a riding mower after I went to college. Wonder why. (Nearly 4 acres to cut by the time I left home).

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Didn’t take any pics, but hauled a few buckets of topsoil to some bare spots in the front yard and filled in a hole (again) that I’ve been dodging for 20 years with the Husqvarna mower. Pulled down one leaning dead pine and tried a second, but the second is gonna need some sawing. Got a several more that may come down this summer, but they’re favorites for woodpeckers so I’ll leave them another season. Pushed a couple berms up to try to divert some runoff from the neighboring property into an existing wash on my side. Can’t stop the water, so just trying to make it go where I want it to. Beautiful sunny day around 60-65F. You Canucks can keep all that white stuff up there in the great white north. I almost pulled out the short sleeve shirt today.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
No farm, no snow and no job !
I walked past the tractor and jumped on the motorcycle. 2 hours later, totally lost on the far side of the Catskills.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
How long did it take for the fire department to put out the grass fire?
The FD was not needed. I had a perfect day for the burn. Very light wind, just enough to feed the flames. The smoke went almost straight up. There was a brush pile about 30 yds away from the coup, that I burned at the same time. I needed to remove the grass from around an old scrap metal pile so that I can clean it up. After I get the metal removed, a bulldozer with flatten everything & prepare a pad for a new building. The building will be 40x60 with a small apartment in the back.
I do have 1 more building left to deal with ……
IMG_9992.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0013.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The FD was not needed. I had a perfect day for the burn. Very light wind, just enough to feed the flames. The smoke went almost straight up. There was a brush pile about 30 yds away from the coup, that I burned at the same time. I needed to remove the grass from around an old scrap metal pile so that I can clean it up. After I get the metal removed, a bulldozer with flatten everything & prepare a pad for a new building. The building will be 40x60 with a small apartment in the back.
I do have 1 more building left to deal with …… View attachment 122845 View attachment 122846 View attachment 122847
I hope you set that off with a ‘Dukes of Hazard’ flaming arrow.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Didn’t take any pics, but hauled a few buckets of topsoil to some bare spots in the front yard and filled in a hole (again) that I’ve been dodging for 20 years with the Husqvarna mower. Pulled down one leaning dead pine and tried a second, but the second is gonna need some sawing. Got a several more that may come down this summer, but they’re favorites for woodpeckers so I’ll leave them another season. Pushed a couple berms up to try to divert some runoff from the neighboring property into an existing wash on my side. Can’t stop the water, so just trying to make it go where I want it to. Beautiful sunny day around 60-65F. You Canucks can keep all that white stuff up there in the great white north. I almost pulled out the short sleeve shirt today.
Was it a sink hole? Required a "few buckets"?

Gary Olson

Equipment
L2501 w/FEL and grapple, 3pt auger
Mar 10, 2022
Mark Twain Forest
Putting cedar log ground barriers around the blackberry patch to keep the grass out. I was clearing cedar from around a patch of black walnut trees who don't need the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I did a little firewood today. I had fell another blonded Ash tree a couple weeks ago and finally got to it. I cut the tree in 60" logs and took them to my splitting and stacking area. It is still a little wet around here, that it why 60" instead of the 80" I had been doing. There was 6 logs to the first limb. I wish I had a log trailer that I could to load the logs on. It was some distance to haul the logs.

Here is the two butt logs:

10_35_56.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I had some trouble breaking into compacted dirt that I had piled up in a little mountain. So I bought a tooth bar off ebay and put it on. Damn, what a difference. And 4 bolts and it's off for snow.

Reactions: 11 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have the Greenlee "Slugbuster" set to... 2-1/2".
Damn: Had no idea that set now goes for $637.
I bought mine 25 years ago,....don't remember price.
now you are making me feel really bad. I had a complete set of Greenlee's from 1/2" to 1-7/8" (round and square) from a long long time ago that I sold for a song when we packed up to move a year ago. Probably got $75 for the set.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
now you are making me feel really bad. I had a complete set of Greenlee's from 1/2" to 1-7/8" (round and square) from a long long time ago that I sold for a song when we packed up to move a year ago. Probably got $75 for the set.
I have likely used my Greenlee set only two or three times since I bought it.
I rarely sell ANYTHING!
My two sons will have to resolve,........ the keep it - dispose of it issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Bladed and blew a bit of snow. Looking forward to spring so I can get back to property maintenance.

Reactions: 1 users