What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Does A/C even do anything??
Swamp coolers work wonderfully out there. 5% humidity will evaporate water VERY quickly, and that cools the air. Like being in front of a giant air-conditioner if you stand in front of the fountains at Bellagio's in Vegas.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yup, me too, I'm allergic to gravity. After 45 years of repeated fall safety training at work, and the fact my dad had a life changing injury from a fall (at age 39) from only 6 feet when I was 12, no one's gotta tell me the safest way to climb is DON'T. He spent the next 26 years of his life in a VA hostpital because of his head injury. I'm not afraid of heights, but that sudden stop at the bottom worries me. I ain't as bouncy as I used to be. If I'm more than 6 feet off the ground these days, I'm wearing fall protection. An ounce of prevention, and all that.

I only use mine indoors, so never bothered getting more than one section. The platform is rarely higher than the bottom notch (or I couldn't stand up under our ceiling). It was a life-saver when I was building my shop (10 foot 'ceiling') and while me and the missus are renovating inside the house. I stood most of my trusses up by myself thanks to that little platform. Sure beats the heck outta going up and down step-ladders and moving them and it is actually a lot safer. I put a small rope across the back side of mine when I'm using it so it reminds me not to step off it, or both sides if I'm out on open floor. Even at a couple feet, a fall at my age may be the end. Ducking under one small rope is a lot better than stepping off backward. Besides that, I can hang tools on the rope too, and keep them close so I don't have to bend over. The older I get, the less bendy I get.

I'm assuming you leave that attached to the tractor for more stability? Setting up scaffolding on uneven ground is not a fun thing to do.

I've got some tree work that needs doing, and would like to do it myself by renting a tow-behind EWP, but every one of the equipment rental places around here have specific prohibitions about using the lifts for tree trimming/removal. Guess too many idiots have dropped trees on the lifts. Looks like I may be stuck paying through the nose to get the tree work done because there's no way I'm climbing up a tree that I'm taking down. There's a reason I'm taking it down, mainly because I don't trust it any more and don't want it to fall on my stuff. I sure as heck don't want it falling with me in it.

Yes, besides moving the scaffold from one place to another the tractor is used to anchor the scaffolding and outriggers to help prevent any sway.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Friend of mine related a similar injury to his Dad. Fell only 3 feet off of step stool but hit his head on the concrete floor. They were able to save his life....but he never recovered his faculties.

In my younger days....I could have jumped down from the scaffold pictured....but those days are way behind me now. If if were to fall at my age it would completely 'Humpty Dumpty' me....and I don't want that. So believe me.....I take all precautions.

Humpty Dumptied.jpg

I'm sure it would kill me...but if not, my Wife would probably finish me off and then take liberty with my Epitaph.

I imagine something like: "Here lies Flintknapper, Faithful Husband, Devoted Father....but a man of limited knowledge concerning scaffolds".

Don't want her to have the last word. ;)

matt-m

Equipment
2022 B2601
Mar 17, 2022
Columbus, IN
About tired of routine mixing and spot spraying with a 2 gallon bug sprayer.
I can relate - this 15 gal setup I pieced together is serving me well. Used for spot spray or broadcast over the pond depending on pto and bypass pressure control valve settings.

20230704_113000.jpg

20230704_112944.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Pulled the garlic today then used the "wife basket" to help store it in the barn for drying.
Very nice haul. What you do with your scapes? (I see they are not there….we use in cooking and also make mix in with basil to make a pesto…I am curious there are other uses?)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am to the point with storing pallets I care not to buy another dolly for ease of moving inside the barn(s). So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pallet jack…it arrive on a pallet. Unloaded the pallet with B and the forks and set in the barn. Hope to assemble and use from this weekend. 🥃

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Very nice haul. What you do with your scapes? (I see they are not there….we use in cooking and also make mix in with basil to make a pesto…I am curious there are other uses?)
That's just what we did with the scapes too and they were very tasty.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That's just what we did with the scapes too and they were very tasty.
We can them as well in a brine and that works very well too. This year we planted more than usual and plan to try freeze drying them and see how that works.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
What are you using for the tick control??
They are very bad this year.
I am using Permethrin and applying at 5oz to 1 gal. They recommend 4 oz but we have them bad so I went thermo nuclear this round. On the plus side, when we let the dog out this morning, he came back in with no ticks. I got my 24 hrs dry in so we should have some good protection.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Mowed 7 acres of grass. I used to look at it as work but now find it quite relaxing. A cab, a/c and a cold beer don't hurt either.

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
Ghetto fork extension to move my new wood rack from inside garage to its outside final destination.
Fork Ext 1.jpg

Fork Ext 2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I am using Permethrin and applying at 5oz to 1 gal. They recommend 4 oz but we have them bad so I went thermo nuclear this round. On the plus side, when we let the dog out this morning, he came back in with no ticks. I got my 24 hrs dry in so we should have some good protection.
I use permethrin a lot. It works.

But the abundance of frogs and birds at my place, especially Swallows, do the best work on mosquitoes.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I lost a couple nice trees last year in a wind storm and finally just getting to this one…so I took the little girl for a walk in the woods today…we put a good dent in it, but I ran out of GO-GO juice. (The MX would have been helpful today).
Took the little girl for a walk in the woods this morning. Not sure how I would manage without a tractor or grapple. Sure is helpful moving the rounds and sections of branches and holding branch to working height. Put another dent in the tree this morning…rain got here by late morning so I had to stop. I did not have a measuring tape but at an estimated 20-25 feet up the trunk at the 2nd fork the bottom of the fork is close to the OAL of the saw (in the pic…that’s the bottom of the fork). That’s a black walnut tree…there was some damage and bugs at the bottom but I think I am going to keep that log (that saw is sitting on in pic)and buy chain saw mill and try making some slabs to use in the wood shop. Anyone use a chain saw mill? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I use permethrin a lot. It works.

But the abundance of frogs and birds at my place, especially Swallows, do the best work on mosquitoes.
We have not had mosquitoes this year. Weird with all the rain. I do have some ponds and wet areas where I avoid spraying within 20’. Stuff isn’t good to get in waterways. I need to learn more about the fowl Fordtech is using, that or get me a couple dozen resident possums

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We have not had mosquitoes this year. Weird with all the rain. I do have some ponds and wet areas where I avoid spraying within 20’. Stuff isn’t good to get in waterways. I need to learn more about the fowl Fordtech is using, that or get me a couple dozen resident possums
Geese and chickens keep critters off the grass also.

Reactions: 2 users