What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I kicked mine today for getting a front flat tire. Only owned this for 3 weeks. Jacked it up to feel around the tire but nothing. Have to wait until this weekend to fix it. :mad:
Found a 2 inch gouge in the side wall. Debating on putting a tube in it or replacing it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
You do realize that "with a loader", there is no real need to ever jack up the front end, for tire inspection/repair?
I'm still learning this tractor and thought about using the loader to lift but wasn't taking any chances. Used my 3 ton hydraulic jack. Even if I do use the loader, would still put a jack underneath for safety.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm still learning this tractor and thought about using the loader to lift but wasn't taking any chances. Used my 3 ton hydraulic jack. Even if I do use the loader, would still put a jack underneath for safety.
Actually putting a jack underneath is a very BAD idea!
Use solid wood blocks.
NEVER concrete blocks!
Use 6x6 WOOD blocks,....or automotive jack stands, for the appropriate weight.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Learned to NEVER, EVER, NEVER take the tractor out of 4x4 mode when using the FEL to move dirt down a hill... Brakes were zero help, tractor ran on me, and nearly rolled forward (pivoting over the front axle), scared the crap out of me - lesson learned, oh, and make sure the seatbelt is used happy to still be upright. Once I gathered my thoughts, I was able to knock out 7 yards of loam moving to our soon to be garden area - not bad for my first time and it taking 2.25 (ish) hours.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Learned to NEVER, EVER, NEVER take the tractor out of 4x4 mode when using the FEL to move dirt down a hill... Brakes were zero help, tractor ran on me, and nearly rolled forward (pivoting over the front axle), scared the crap out of me - lesson learned, oh, and make sure the seatbelt is used happy to still be upright. Once I gathered my thoughts, I was able to knock out 7 yards of loam moving to our soon to be garden area - not bad for my first time and it taking 2.25 (ish) hours.
Been there, done that. Talk about the bung hole puckering up!

• Haha

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Been there, done that. Talk about the bung hole puckering up!
Pucker factor has pinched more than one hole in a tractor seat.

• Haha

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sewer line job today featured a huge belly in the line. New homeowners purchased this place this past year. Yep. You guessed it. No inspections....:confused:

I didn't get many pics of final but it was a long day none the less.

Diggy

H4-PEL823-1.JPG

H4-PEL823-2.JPG

Really nice soil

H4-PEL823-3.JPG

trench done

H4-PEL823-5.JPG

raised the outlet coming out of the foundation by 4" and we just had enough pitch (1/8" / ft) to make the connection. I simply can't believe that this system was working at all with that large of a belly in the line.

H4-PEL823-7.JPG

on to a water service job tomorrow...

Reactions: 4 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Yep. I just couldn't get myself to spend 4X the money for a wacker since I use it infrequently. I like that its only 16" wide. Easily fits down most of the trenches I dig.
Is this the one? https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-plate-compactor-69738.html

i have been thinking about renting one multiple times as I have a lot of landscaping I would like to do over the next few years so not sure if I should rent or buy. I imagine if it’s held up for you using it on the job for a while it will be more than enough for me.

Last edited:

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Lowering the bucket into the ground would have put on the brakes. Use lower gears for sure. Glad your still with us.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
  • Wow

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Yup…I call it the “Nan-BUCKET Sleigh Ride” 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Lowering the bucket into the ground would have put on the brakes. Use lower gears for sure. Glad your still with us.
I didn't think of dropping the bucket, really, I don't think I had time to think at all, as it happened in the blink of an eye, but I'll add that to the database (my brain.. but doesn't hold much data, lol). And the BX only has two gears, turtle and rabbit, I was in turtle with the treadle peddle barely pressed..

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I didn't think of dropping the bucket, really, I don't think I had time to think at all, as it happened in the blink of an eye, but I'll add that to the database (my brain.. but doesn't hold much data, lol). And the BX only has two gears, turtle and rabbit, I was in turtle with the treadle peddle barely pressed..
If you have 4x4 engaged, the braking force of the front wheels might make it tilt forward even more quickly. You completely change the physics of the tractor when you put that much weight out in front of the front wheels, never mind the front axle turns into a seesaw once the back wheels are off the ground. Keep that bucket as low as possible when moving, even empty, and even if it occasionally rubs the high spots in your road. You'll only smooth your road some as you work, and you'll minimize the seesaw effect of the front axle pivot. If a load in the bucket or lifting on something with the FEL can raise the back wheels, even slightly, you need more counterweight on the back of the tractor. The hydraulic system of your tractor is designed to prevent you from damaging the "suspension" (pivot pin in the front axle) or breaking the front axle. It will relieve the pressure if the load is too much for the FEL (and the weight limits of the tractor). The rear axle and tires are clearly stronger and can be loaded up heavily to counterbalance the front loading. If you're doing loader work, put your heaviest 3-point attachment on the back. If you have none (yet), get an old drum and outfit it for a 3-point connection to the tractor, and fill it full of ballast be it rocks, concrete, whatever. The farther back you can put the ballast, the more effective it is, but then you start getting into overall length and maneuverability issues. Just get something heavy on the back.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
If you have 4x4 engaged, the braking force of the front wheels might make it tilt forward even more quickly. You completely change the physics of the tractor when you put that much weight out in front of the front wheels, never mind the front axle turns into a seesaw once the back wheels are off the ground. Keep that bucket as low as possible when moving, even empty, and even if it occasionally rubs the high spots in your road. You'll only smooth your road some as you work, and you'll minimize the seesaw effect of the front axle pivot. If a load in the bucket or lifting on something with the FEL can raise the back wheels, even slightly, you need more counterweight on the back of the tractor. The hydraulic system of your tractor is designed to prevent you from damaging the "suspension" (pivot pin in the front axle) or breaking the front axle. It will relieve the pressure if the load is too much for the FEL (and the weight limits of the tractor). The rear axle and tires are clearly stronger and can be loaded up heavily to counterbalance the front loading. If you're doing loader work, put your heaviest 3-point attachment on the back. If you have none (yet), get an old drum and outfit it for a 3-point connection to the tractor, and fill it full of ballast be it rocks, concrete, whatever. The farther back you can put the ballast, the more effective it is, but then you start getting into overall length and maneuverability issues. Just get something heavy on the back.
I am currently running loaded tires, mid-mount mower deck, and the power bagger as ballast (~450-500 lbs) and 2" spacers on both sides - the tractor never felt overloaded or even remotely tippy. I only tried running 2wd on the third trip from the pile to the bed, and its one of the shallowest inclines I drove the whole time (FEL was near the ground when traveling as well) - it was simply like the tractor was on ice.. I really don't understand what happened, brake pedal all the way to the floor, zero response.. all other trips, before and after, it seemed 100% in control, even tried much steeper sections of the lawn, stuck like velcro.