What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The working load limit (wll) of 1/4 inch grade 70 chain is 3,150 pounds. The breaking strength is 3 times that number. It is plenty strong to tie down a little Bota. And there is no way it will break it. Much easier to work with and store. Grade 30 3/8 chain is only good for 2,650. This is what most box stores sell.

Reactions: 1 user

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I like those. I'll have a look today. They didn't have any ratchet binders for 5/16 chain when I looked on Tuesday. Plenty stuff for 3/8" but I don't think I want or need a chain that heavy. 20' 3/8" chain is a whole lotta heavy, and not very useful for anything but hauling the tractor, meaning something else I have to store for that rare occasion I'll actually use it.

I have a 20mm Ammo can (HUGE) that I'm gonna figure out a way to mount on the trailer for storage. That'll be a lovely place for hauling hardware and a few small spare trailer parts. Need to find or fabricate a good spare tire mount, too. Finding the place to mount it is the issue. This trailer is a lane full running around in suburbia.

Gotta go with the tailpipe mod. At first, I just thought it was a lot of whining about nothing, and surely Kubota didn't do anything that was bad for their own designed add-ons. At nearly 50 hours on mine, I'm learning a lot more about how imperfect tractor designs can be, despite their simplicity. It has been a wonderfully fun learning curve, and so far, nothing that bothers me to the point of regretting my decision to buy my LX. Running the chipper showed me exactly what the complaint was about exhaust on the FEL. Even more concerning is that it's pointed straight at the LH bucket cylinder and hoses. That can't be good for either. Not sure how hot it's getting things, but I am sure that no added heat is required nor particularly wanted on the hoses or cylinder. I suspect it ain't very nice after 4 hours at 2300 RPM. The heat alone bothers me a lot more than the soot its putting on everything. I see you have a BH77 hoe, so I'll assume you also have the LA534 loader on your B. You're gonna want the exhaust mod too.
Funny, I'm at 50 hours and just noticed a lot of soot building up on my FEL. Looks like a turndown will be on the to do list.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
This:
Funny, I'm at 50 hours and just noticed a lot of soot building up on my FEL. Looks like a turndown will be on the to do list.
Yeah, they definitely pointed the poot pipe in the wrong direction. I take it you have the LA535 like I do. Can't imagine why they pointed the exhaust straight at the LH bucket cylinder. But, Kubota didn't ask me what I thought. Apparently this was a common problem on the big B's that was never addressed by Kubota.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
This:

Yeah, they definitely pointed the poot pipe in the wrong direction. I take it you have the LA535 like I do. Can't imagine why they pointed the exhaust straight at the LH bucket cylinder. But, Kubota didn't ask me what I thought. Apparently this was a common problem on the big B's that was never addressed by Kubota.
I was thinking about why I'm just noticing it now and I came to the conclusion that's it's from pushing snow so the FEL is on the ground for extended periods with higher rpms.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The working load limit (wll) of 1/4 inch grade 70 chain is 3,150 pounds. The breaking strength is 3 times that number. It is plenty strong to tie down a little Bota. And there is no way it will break it. Much easier to work with and store. Grade 30 3/8 chain is only good for 2,650. This is what most box stores sell.
Which is exactly my point, but made in a slightly more sarcastic manner. I married an Aussie, so I am now required by international law to be sarcastic.

I've seen way too many people be way too lucky with some of the things they pull or lift with. There's a Darwin award waiting on the shelf for them.

But, back to the subject at hand, no, a B or LX isn't likely to harm a 1/4" chain unless you abuse it, certainly not a 5/16 or 3/8. A friend of mine says he spins his Grand L with wheel weights all the time with 1/4" chain. He doesn't like a super heavy chain either. 20' of 1/2" must weigh at least 50 or 60 pounds, if not 80 - 100.
I'm gonna stick with straps until I decide to get out on the highway for any significant distance. That's probably not gonna be for a while to come, and I feel like I'm a lot less likely to break my tractor or trailer. Straps are a lot less expensive to replace and keep fresh, and a lot easier to detect a deteriorating condition on. I keep a spare for every pair of straps. If the spare gets used for any reason, I toss the most worn looking one I have, buy a new spare, and leave it in the wrapper.

Took the tow hook advice, and here's how I spent my afternoon.....

IMG_2583[1].JPG
IMG_2584[1].JPG
IMG_2586[1].JPG
IMG_2587[1].JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I was thinking about why I'm just noticing it now and I came to the conclusion that's it's from pushing snow so the FEL is on the ground for extended periods with higher rpms.
Happens with the bucket down if used with a backhoe , or a chipper. Anything that requires a lowered bucket consistently. I keep my bucket pretty low when I'm not using it. High enough to miss the ground, and that's about it. It makes a pretty good brush guard that way.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Mine's a 20 ft. 3/8"grade 70, rated 6,600 working, that's enough. Yes, the 'bota won't be stressing it much, but it lives in the pickup truck when I'm not skidding logs with the tractor. Yanking my truck out of a snow filled ditch with the neighbor's grader requires such a chain. Or two. That's why I got it, an HD tow chain, but is excellent at logging too!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Would you happen to have the part number for those? I tried a couple from Princess Auto and the holes didn't line up.
Harbor Freight, Haul Master Brand. Looks like their SKU number is 67497. 10000 Pound Tow Hook Kit. $9 each. All I need 'em to do is hold the tractor still when it's on the trailer. Trying to pull anything backward with a tractor is counter productive.

I just checked. Go to the HF website, type in 67497, and BINGO, there's the hook. The picture shows the safety spring open, but it's very much closed. It should keep any chain or strap from falling out until you get tension on it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I am also getting averse to lugging around heavy chains. I went with this:
1614366404326.png

It's rated at over 2 tons

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I am also getting averse to lugging around heavy chains. I went with this:
It's rated at over 2 tons
I like that chain. Mine is essentially the same but just has grab hooks on both ends. That big ring makes a good handle and it's easy to just drop it in a tow hook. Me likey.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Gave the l2501 its first soapy bath.. last time I used it was to level out a area for a 20 foot container next to palm *bushes * may of greased the loader a bit much, well that grease got on the trees and then smeared grease all over the front and sides of the tractor hood, fenders, and loader..

Attachments

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
built a dolly for the snowblower....

then, sorted out off season snowblower storage, lowering it into the basement! very carefully.... :ROFLMAO: it actually went much smoother than expected. Barely lifted a finger.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
built a dolly for the snowblower....

then, sorted out off season snowblower storage, lowering it into the basement! very carefully.... :ROFLMAO: it actually went much smoother than expected. Barely lifted a finger.

Nice solution for storage. Looks like a snug fit through the hatch.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
inches. I did some measuring. Figured out how to adapt the 1200 pound hoist to fit on the forks. Proceeded carefully as to not put the forks through the side of the house, lowering it, inching forward, lowering again, then down onto the dolly.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
inches. I did some measuring. Figured out how to adapt the 1200 pound hoist to fit on the forks. Proceeded carefully as to not put the forks through the side of the house, lowering it, inching forward, lowering again, then down onto the dolly.
Well, you definitely know the definition of a blivit. You just made one. Geez that's close. But, gotta agree, stuff with rotating parts left outside is no good.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
B737 I like the removable steps! Great idea!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
thats crazy, like Einstein crazy. I like it!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Will get out and lube up the b3200. We’re gonna hit 50 today with rain but the ground is covered in snow and frozen solid. Time for some flooding.