What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ran the new generator with a space heater attached for a while. Only 1,500 watts, but good to run them under a load.

The BX was the emotional support machine…..😉

IMG_6807.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s mud season here…can’t do too much. We did use the B to muck out the chicken run and turn some compost today. I’ll try to sneak in a mow tomorrow.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
It’s too far to walk back out there for photos, finally tried out a homemade jig to mill a couple of 6x6 timbers from some pine logs accumulated from downfall on my property. A. Did not have the proper chain for the saw. B. The 2x4 I used for a guide tried to crawl off several times while I was using it. Despite those problems, I still wound up with one 9-footer and one 12-footer 6x6 beam/post. Milling with a chain saw is hard work 😓

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Project 3. Used the PHD and 9" auger to poke 122 6-8" holes in the ground to plant trees.

20240511_123738.jpg

20240511_184626.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Pulled an old apple tree out from the rear draw bar, of course. It's the first time I used the D-ring that I added a while back.

Consolidated my burn pile to a smaller size and added the apple tree to it. Added sand to the newly created burn pit.

Reactions: 1 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I finally was able to do a little tractor work around the place. I used the box blade and bucket to do a little work on our driveway (2/10 mile). We had a really hard rain the other day and one of our covert pipes wasn't able to handle all of the water causing it to run down the driveway making a rut down a section. Just had to pull the rock back up the hill.

Then I used the grapple to put down a small tree top along our private road that we share with 12 other houses. It was hanging by vines. I was able to grab a hold of it and pull it down.

Since I had the grapple on the tractor, I moved some logs to a new banking area. They were in two different places.

Also used the grapple to clean up some brush close to our yard.

ShootinBlanks

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2023
Maryland
Don’t think I would try one. I have a kind of deep ditch to mow Besides my yard. Thought about it before getting my 1880 but needed something for snow removal and a loader For moving dirt around. Was my 1st time removing and putting it back on so hope future movement gets easier.
It does and especially when you figure out the tricks. Best one is using the loader to lift the front and roll the deck under the front wheels. My trick for re-mounting is once the deck is back under the tractor, the first thing I do is connect the front bracket/carrier thingy. This helps a lot in getting things lined up in the back for the lifting arms. I take the 60” deck off my B in about 5 minutes and on about the same. Helps to do it in the shop on a nice solid and level floor :)

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I used my pallet forks slid together to dig a hole and pop out some rocks to plant a pyscinthia bush my girlfriend had gotten...
Our soil here is crap. Rocky and iron.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It’s too far to walk back out there for photos, finally tried out a homemade jig to mill a couple of 6x6 timbers from some pine logs accumulated from downfall on my property. A. Did not have the proper chain for the saw. B. The 2x4 I used for a guide tried to crawl off several times while I was using it. Despite those problems, I still wound up with one 9-footer and one 12-footer 6x6 beam/post. Milling with a chain saw is hard work 😓
Many years ago had one of those Alaskan Saw Mill saw guide things and yeah, it was a lot of work. Also made a fair amount of lumber from the white oaks that had to go to make room for our house. Much better with a ripping chain in place of the normal chain. Can’t recall if that thing is still in the shed loft or if it went away at some point.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Got the first 50 white spruce planted. Picking up another 50 tomorrow but will need to water these before the second batch get planted.

20240513_175219.jpg

20240513_192257.jpg

Reactions: 14 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
They look so far apart now, but in 20 years they will be a solid high wall,......hope that is what you intend.
I planted them 10 feet apart but staggered the two rows so they are 5 feet apart. I'll see how this bunch does and I may add a third staggered row in the fall. I'm hoping not to see the neighbors home within 10 years.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I planted them 10 feet apart but staggered the two rows so they are 5 feet apart. I'll see how this bunch does and I may add a third staggered row in the fall. I'm hoping not to see the neighbors home within 10 years.
Plant ya a bunch of Christmas trees to sell in the future too.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Many years ago I did the very same thing at my then home in Minnesota.
20 years later, the (pine seedlings) had grown together to choke each other out.
Perhaps you could plant/stagger that third row, with the long term expectation that you might eventually cut the entire center row out.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Many years ago I did the very same thing at my then home in Minnesota.
20 years later, the (pine seedlings) had grown together to choke each other out.
Perhaps you could plant/stagger that third row, with the long term expectation that you might eventually cut the entire center row out.
I'll keep that in mind. I want it to have a good windbreak and view block.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'll keep that in mind. I want it to have a good windbreak and view block.
That is what I was after, but it kinda "grew" away from me.
I sold the property shortly thereafter, so it became a moot point.
Another thing you might consider is waiting 10 more years, before planting a third row.
That way, when the trees are tall, the 3rd row will be at least 10 shorter, helping to block lower limb needle shedding on the first batch.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Another thing you might consider is waiting 10 more years, before planting a third row.
That way, when the trees are tall, the 3rd row will be at least 10 shorter, helping to block lower limb needle shedding on the first batch.

Good advice, no sense wasting trees or time. We're going to plant a few hardwood trees this fall but they will be spread around the property.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See this site for the edge mill

Then look at how they design their first cut systems.

I have their edging mill and use a 2x6 as the rail along with the angle pieces shown. I have learned over time that using ratchet straps to hold the rail in place and then block it off the log and use long screws to firmly hold it in place by screwing it to the log. It also helps a lot to get the log up off the ground and fixed so it doesn’t want to turn or move around as you are cutting it.

Using a sharp rip chain with the 10 degree angle helps a lot. Using a longer bar and chain also makes it easier to set up. Even though a log looks straight there will always be some curve in it and the longer bar allows the rail to sit on the hump and still cut through the log completely.

I also recommend using a dust mask and cleaning the chainsaw’s air filter more often than normal. Ripping the type of juniper (Texas cedar) seems to create a lot of dust not chips. I am just cutting the logs in two so I can use the flat side as steps down some slopes.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
White spruce don't die out on the bottom so no dead spot.
We are going to do the same with Blue spruces here.