What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sou

Sounds like we have similar issues.

The developers around us were watching the obituaries daily waiting for my father to die so they could pick up the land from his heirs. Since he passed they’ve found out my brother and I match his crazy and raise him a couple notches. We’ve both got enough money and can make more if needed. Can’t make more land and I’m not ambitious enough to move so no motivation to sell out.

Once we have 800 more neighbors, maybe I’ll change my mind. For now the only part of the land we’re offering is a free bucket of sand from the creek they can take turns pounding.

I guess developers are necessary but I have no use for any of them I’ve met to date.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find some land where you can be at peace and not surrounded by nuts and idiots.
You if you like bacon / ham, and the houses not built yet, bring in some livestock.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sou

Sounds like we have similar issues.

The developers around us were watching the obituaries daily waiting for my father to die so they could pick up the land from his heirs. Since he passed they’ve found out my brother and I match his crazy and raise him a couple notches. We’ve both got enough money and can make more if needed. Can’t make more land and I’m not ambitious enough to move so no motivation to sell out.

Once we have 800 more neighbors, maybe I’ll change my mind. For now the only part of the land we’re offering is a free bucket of sand from the creek they can take turns pounding.

I guess developers are necessary but I have no use for any of them I’ve met to date.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find some land where you can be at peace and not surrounded by nuts and idiots.
Thirty years ago the developers were all waiting for my mom & dad to die.
Now they are waiting for ME to die.
I am 82, so they may not have a long wait.
I only have 11.7 acres, but with partial ocean view, so if cut into (minimum) acre lots, likely worth $500K per acre, and rising annually......8, maybe 9 lots.
Problem for developers is that it I put it in trust for my children 25 years ago (they are mid 50's), and they do not want to sell.

Edit: Mother paid $875 for the 11.7 in 1932.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you’re moving you might find North Carolina attractive. Not exactly sure why that would be but seems like half the world has decided to move here and pile up on top of each other so either there’s something wonderful here or the rest of the planet kind of sucks; not sure which it is.

For the currently low bargain sale price of only $550,000 you can pre-buy one of the planned 800 semi-custom homes in one of the two developments on our north/west/south border and save yourself all kinds of time by having a yard you can mow in 20 minutes with an electric weed eater. You wouldn’t have to worry about making decisions about how to run your property either; between the city and HOA they’ll make all those decisions for you. Of course you’ll have to pay them for their service of managing your life but I’m sure that’s a good deal being most folks don’t have enough sense to know what color to paint their house or how long their grass should be or what species shrubs to plant.
An 800-home development is startling to me, but I know scores of folks that have moved from here to there. A friend and co-worker leaves in a couple weeks with his family. Said house prices are nearly triple what we see here.

800 houses would more than double my town, but like I said they're heading your way......

Call me a redneck - - I never heard of an HOA until a few years ago. Went to a family wedding in Louisville. Learned A LOT about HOA's when visiting the groom's parent's house in a 1,500 (?) unit subdivision. Some different house designs, but ALL the same color brick.....

Their house was complete with the 4th Tee 75 feet off the fancy covered back porch.....(I'm sure Upper-Crust folks have a better name for that... :rolleyes: )

Couldn't get me out of there quick enough....... 😝

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Ordered a woodchipper so I don't have to burn brush anymore. WC68 headed our way hopefully soon.

Then spent the afternoon pushing around a pile of the remains from previous forestry mulching to get to the decomposed fine dirt/chips we can put on the garden. Lots of worms hanging out in there (and a cute little black ring-necked snake)

Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Ordered a woodchipper so I don't have to burn brush anymore. WC68 headed our way hopefully soon.

Then spent the afternoon pushing around a pile of the remains from previous forestry mulching to get to the decomposed fine dirt/chips we can put on the garden. Lots of worms hanging out in there (and a cute little black ring-necked snake)
I’ve got the WC68. My only complaint is that it only has 1 drive roll on the infeed. It’ll certainly chip anything you can stuff in it behind an LX2610 (19 HP at the PTO). DO NOT hold on to anything that the drive roll is pulling on. That’s some of the most violent vibration you’ll ever experience.

Pay attention when assembling the chipper. It isn’t hard, but don’t hurry anything. You’ll still finish inside 2 hours. Keep the steel pallet, and use it to fab a rolling dolly. You’ll thank me later.

Go ahead and buy a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil. It’s bone dry when you get it. Use an old credit card to gap the blades and anvil. It’s hard to get your hands in there to set the gap, but the performance of the chipper is very dependent on the gap.

Beware chipping dry brush. It’ll shatter and throw things at you that are not gonna feel good if they hit you. Gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, and recommended long sleeves. No loose clothing at all, so button up the cuffs and make sure the gauntlets of your gloves go above your cuffs

I’ve made at least a couple tons of chips that we compost and it makes wonderful mulch for beds away from the house. If you want to use it close to the house, make sure you get something to treat the chips for termites and mold. Otherwise you’re sending an invitation for an all-you-can-eat buffet for the termites and they won’t stop with the chips.

Good luck with your new chipper and stay safe.

Reactions: 1 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I’ve got the WC68. My only complaint is that it only has 1 drive roll on the infeed. It’ll certainly chip anything you can stuff in it behind an LX2610 (19 HP at the PTO). DO NOT hold on to anything that the drive roll is pulling on. That’s some of the most violent vibration you’ll ever experience.

Pay attention when assembling the chipper. It isn’t hard, but don’t hurry anything. You’ll still finish inside 2 hours. Keep the steel pallet, and use it to fab a rolling dolly. You’ll thank me later.

Go ahead and buy a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil. It’s bone dry when you get it. Use an old credit card to gap the blades and anvil. It’s hard to get your hands in there to set the gap, but the performance of the chipper is very dependent on the gap.

Beware chipping dry brush. It’ll shatter and throw things at you that are not gonna feel good if they hit you. Gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, and recommended long sleeves. No loose clothing at all, so button up the cuffs and make sure the gauntlets of your gloves go above your cuffs

I’ve made at least a couple tons of chips that we compost and it makes wonderful mulch for beds away from the house. If you want to use it close to the house, make sure you get something to treat the chips for termites and mold. Otherwise you’re sending an invitation for an all-you-can-eat buffet for the termites and they won’t stop with the chips.

Good luck with your new chipper and stay safe.
Thanks for all the tips! I read many of the threads here on the WC68 before pulling the trigger so hopefully am prepared. Saw the tip from folks on making a rolling dolly out of the metal crate, and also tips for wearing a forestry helmet while chipping.

We'll be using the chips for compost/mulching the garden, and for trails on our property. We have several cords of stacked firewood for the termites to play in. Maybe the chips are similar to salad for them? ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I'll be at the farm Bushhogging next week with the M4900 so I took a couple of days this week and visited my Son and two Grandsons at a fiber optic placing job.
IMG_4201.JPG

They are boring 120 feet from existing service to a designated spot underneath the building in. the background. The initial bore will be with a 4" bit.
IMG_4202.JPG

And will end in this receiving pit underneath the building.
IMG_4203.JPG

The 4" bit was removed and replaced with this 8" back reamer bit to enlarge the bore.
IMG_4204.JPG

The 8" back reamer bit was then replaced by this 12" back reamer bit enlarging the bore to it's final size.
IMG_4205.JPG

Two 4" conduits were then prepped and connected to the 12" back reamer. The "VacTron" which sucked up the water and muc is also shown here.
IMG_4206.JPG

The two 4" conduits were then pulled through the bore as the boring machine retracted the boring stems.
IMG_4207.JPG

Through the crawl hole and into the bore hole.
IMG_4208.JPG

The 12" back reamer arrived bringing it's two 4" conduits.
IMG_4209.JPG

The two 4" conduits were then pulled into their destination "hand hole".
IMG_4210.JPG

And trimmed to the proper length. Note that each 4" conduit contained three innerducts through which the fiber optic cable will be pulled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
IMG_4211.JPG

The 12" back reamer is then hosed off.
IMG_4212.JPG

And everything is backfilled with the trusty U25 excavator. Note the "VacTron" in the background which sucked up most of the water and mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

I was glad I had a chipper when we built our garage. Took down 16 trees and chipped all the tops, anything smaller than 3". The rest was firewood. A friend took a couple pickup loads of chips, the rest I put on out paths in the woods.

Here's a pictures of a couple of the piles. You get an idea of the size based on the propane tank. The root wad in the picture was from the biggest Oak removed. I couldn't move it with the L3901DT.

17_17_24.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Thanks for all the tips! I read many of the threads here on the WC68 before pulling the trigger so hopefully am prepared. Saw the tip from folks on making a rolling dolly out of the metal crate, and also tips for wearing a forestry helmet while chipping.

We'll be using the chips for compost/mulching the garden, and for trails on our property. We have several cords of stacked firewood for the termites to play in. Maybe the chips are similar to salad for them? ;)
I don’t own or wear a helmet, but I certainly wear eye and hearing protection. It’s LOUD, and I wear glasses anytime I’m working with power equipment.
The adjustment of the safety bar on the chute can be a little finicky too. It needs to easily push forward if you bump into it, but there’s a fine line in the adjuster between staying latched and being too tight. The safety bar is also how the infeed roller is reversed, and I find myself doing that more often than anticipated, especially with chewy stuff like muscadine or some other vines I have. If it isn’t adjusted properly, you’ll either lose the safety feature, or you’ll be constantly resetting it. I also use the bar when I put something large in it to prevent stalling the LX.
I don’t think anything is coming back out of the chute, especially after it passes the infeed. Nothing large enough for serious injury, but certainly dust and fibers that can irritate your eyes. The springs on the infeed are MASSIVE. I can barely pull the infeed roller up with a 6 foot 2x4. For best results, cut any brush over 2 inch diameter on a sharp diagonal so that you have a point to feed under the roller. I keep a saw and lopping shears next to the chipper when I’m using it.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Got some shelves donated for the barn so I pulled out both Orange, blew out the radiators and lubed them up. Will use them later for shrub removal, mowing and pulling my old flag base out

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you recall the post several weeks back with the raccoons / reclaimed Timbers…today we brought the stained Timbers back and set in place…we had a couple reptilian lookee loos too 😉.

Attachments

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Used the kubota to move the splitter split some wood for a couple hours , then went and played with the FEL pushing some debris down the bank. I knew I was light in the back becuase I exchanged the counterweight for the trailer mover last week. Since I was just pushing stuff arlund I figured I would be ok, I figured wrong and ended up on 3 wheels and stuck becuase I got stupid. Ended up having to use the truck and a come along to get the tractor back 3 feet and on all 4's I didnt want to have the wife just yank me backwards becuase the odds of ending up with a tractor on its side where pretty good with that option. Less then 15 minutes and I was out but just goes to show all can be going great till it ain't. No pics of this dilema

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Mowed wet grass again. Our weather has been wet and cold but the grass keeps growing.

Reactions: 1 users