What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Oh no!! Sorry to see that! Looks like your forks served you well.

Unfortunate you had to use them to that purpose….
Thanks. The tree was a gift that kept giving. On Friday, before the Saturday clean up we were parked every which direction because the tree was laying in the parking area and my wife backed into my truck.
truckdent.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Something I ran into today with my LX3310 when I noticed my temp gauge climbing while mowing. Noticed a lot of dandelion spores in the grill and checked the screens. They weren't too bad but there were a lot of spores behind the screens in the cooler and rad. Blew those out and the temp dropped to normal quickly.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks. The tree was a gift that kept giving. On Friday, before the Saturday clean up we were parked every which direction because the tree was laying in the parking area and my wife backed into my truck.
View attachment 104826
That will buff out.......:oops::oops:

That stinks....

We're such creatures of habit.....our twin daughters visited other night from Philly and California.

Saturday morning went to run errands and was a little shocked to see a little Honda Civic in my side mirror while backing up....not close, but still...:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
View attachment 104826
I feel your pain. Here’s my wife backing into my Kubota.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I'm going to need a retaining wall since there's a two-foot drop away from the garage. Any ideas out there in OT land?
I think these pavestone walls are somewhat easy to stack up and are very strong if built properly.

for a few feet high they are what I would use and they can look like natural stone face to some degree.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Amazing, she didn't even look at the damage before marching into the house. I thought that with the high price of a box of Cracker Jacks, they would include a test with the driver's licenses that are inside the boxes. Nope, it probably wouldn't do much good anyway. Women only use mirrors to put makeup on, not for driving or backing up. I did stop short of bringing up the blonde comment. LOL

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
With the scratch she put on your shiny Kubota, it is now time to replace it (your choice the wife or the Kubota). :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Finally received some rain here in central Wisconsin which prompted me to mow my trail system and a few areas of aspen regrowth without eating a ton of dust and dirt. Great day to be out on the land and getting tractor seat time.

DSCF0139.JPG
DSCF0138.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
The rain missed us yesterday, Ken but today we had a nice slow soaker pretty much all day. This should get the gardens sprouting with the sunshine predicated for tomorrow!
We really need the moisture here for sure.
My son moved 20 small balsam trees from the farm to his property and started a nursery with them for future use. Most were 1 to 2 feet tall that he moved with dirt attached to the roots.
It's nice to see them get used.

Reactions: 2 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
669CCC4A-8740-426D-BA9B-EA3234304C6E.jpeg

Said goodbye to the BX today. Drove an hour north and delivered her to her new home. Bitter sweet, but onward to my LX that I’ll be picking up, hopefully soon.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Thanks for the ideas Old Paint. I'll have to shop around to see if I can get used RR ties in my area. I agree about the block wall not looking as "natural". I also have the HF sharpener, love it - fast and cheap like me. LOL.
Fast and cheap is a good description. Goes back to something I used to say at work all the time. "I do things three ways: Fast, Good, or Cheap. Pick ONE." It's good for reconditioning a chain that's been mauled by rocks, but don't expect miracles. Sometimes, a chain just simply can't be saved. I've ripped the tops off the teeth when I found a piece of steel grown into a tree (the hard way). It was a brand spankin' new chain, ruined on it's virgin cut. I said some bad words.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
NB 608's are my favorite.
I have several pairs.
They range from disgusting, to brand new,..... still in the box.
Well, it kinda depends on whether you get the Korean built 608's, or the Taiwanese built ones. I bought two pair (because I killed two pair) in one year from the same store about 4 months apart, and they looked COMPLETELY different. Not sure how a completely different shoe can have the same model/style number. Second pair took forever to break in and get them to stop making blisters on me. One pair was also a half size smaller than the other, but stretched quicker, so it became a non-issue soon.

Yesterday, I planned on an 'easy' day of running the walk-behind brush mower out back. I use the term "Walk Behind" loosely. It's more like stumble behind and be dragged behind. It acts more like a 400 pound bear that likes to kick my butt as soon as I pull the start cord and bring it to life. It's a devastating beast. ANYTHING that is in front of it and sticks up at least 2.5 inches is going to meet certain destruction. I've knocked 3 inch stumps out of the ground with it, and chopped up seasoned pine knots. that were hiding under the leaf mat. The latter usually comes out the back of the machine in fragments, where they like to embed themselves in the shins of the unsuspecting operator. 1" diameter brush isn't even a challenge, other than pushing it over until the blade hits the first time. 2" muscadine vines can be a little rough, especially if they grab the end of the axle shaft and cause a sudden turn, which will deliver a body blow with the handle bar rivaling that of Mike Tyson. Anything that is behind it (namely the operator) is going to be thrown around like a rag doll, slapped up against trees, dragged through ditches and briars, and generally wishing for a good flail mower to replace it. I weigh 195, and if this mower decides to go a different direction, I just let go of it and wish for the best hoping it stops before disaster happens. The largest difference in this mower (Swisher Predator 24 with 11.5 HP Briggs on it) and a 400 pound bear is that a bear will either get tired or bored and eventually stop hurting you. The mower does NOT get tired, nor does it really care how much it hurts you. Usually. Yesterday, it got tired and quit about 30 minutes after I started cutting. I wasn't even angry, because of that slight hope that I was about to get the green-light for a hammer flail from the missus. As it were, I went back and got it with the LX and some slings hanging from the grapple, and sat it down gently in the shop for a little troubleshooting.

Checked the carb. No, nothing out of the ordinary there. Plenty fuel. (Did anyone have a Carl Childers "Outta Gas" moment just then?) Pulled the cover, checked the flywheel key, not a mark on it, and I didn't figure there would be because it's belt drive. It would crank at WOT, and run about 800 RPM, but sounded like it was back-firing through the carb every second power stroke, and would not idle at all. Hmmm. I pulled the valve cover, and the exhaust valve rocker fell out in my hand when I touched it. I dunno how it was running at all. Set gaps on both valves, it started on the first pull, and bingo, ran like a top. Crap, now I can't ask the missus for the flail. Zero cost in parts (except for a dab of silicone I already had), nothing but labor (and delay of the job) for cost. The Swisher (when new) cost almost as much as flails do now, so I can't just not use it. (That's actually my thinking, not hers). I bought it in 2008 thinking me and two scrapping teen age boys would get the property under control. 15 years later, I had the first major mechanical issue with the mower, which actually turned out to be pretty minor. One of those general maintenance things I never thought about on a 'lawn mower'. This is NOT a lawn mower. Lawn destroyer maybe, mower definitely not.

So what did I do on the Kubota? Carried the Swisher a couple hundred feet back to the shed 'cause I sure as heck wasn't pushing that heavy bugger all the way back to the tool box. I think letting the Kubota watch while I worked on the Swisher may have let the Swisher know its days are numbered. (Or perhaps the days I can use it are.)

Reactions: 4 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Well, it kinda depends on whether you get the Korean built 608's, or the Taiwanese built ones. I bought two pair (because I killed two pair) in one year from the same store about 4 months apart, and they looked COMPLETELY different. Not sure how a completely different shoe can have the same model/style number. Second pair took forever to break in and get them to stop making blisters on me. One pair was also a half size smaller than the other, but stretched quicker, so it became a non-issue soon.

Yesterday, I planned on an 'easy' day of running the walk-behind brush mower out back. I use the term "Walk Behind" loosely. It's more like stumble behind and be dragged behind. It acts more like a 400 pound bear that likes to kick my butt as soon as I pull the start cord and bring it to life. It's a devastating beast. ANYTHING that is in front of it and sticks up at least 2.5 inches is going to meet certain destruction. I've knocked 3 inch stumps out of the ground with it, and chopped up seasoned pine knots. that were hiding under the leaf mat. The latter usually comes out the back of the machine in fragments, where they like to embed themselves in the shins of the unsuspecting operator. 1" diameter brush isn't even a challenge, other than pushing it over until the blade hits the first time. 2" muscadine vines can be a little rough, especially if they grab the end of the axle shaft and cause a sudden turn, which will deliver a body blow with the handle bar rivaling that of Mike Tyson. Anything that is behind it (namely the operator) is going to be thrown around like a rag doll, slapped up against trees, dragged through ditches and briars, and generally wishing for a good flail mower to replace it. I weigh 195, and if this mower decides to go a different direction, I just let go of it and wish for the best hoping it stops before disaster happens. The largest difference in this mower (Swisher Predator 24 with 11.5 HP Briggs on it) and a 400 pound bear is that a bear will either get tired or bored and eventually stop hurting you. The mower does NOT get tired, nor does it really care how much it hurts you. Usually. Yesterday, it got tired and quit about 30 minutes after I started cutting. I wasn't even angry, because of that slight hope that I was about to get the green-light for a hammer flail from the missus. As it were, I went back and got it with the LX and some slings hanging from the grapple, and sat it down gently in the shop for a little troubleshooting.

Checked the carb. No, nothing out of the ordinary there. Plenty fuel. (Did anyone have a Carl Childers "Outta Gas" moment just then?) Pulled the cover, checked the flywheel key, not a mark on it, and I didn't figure there would be because it's belt drive. It would crank at WOT, and run about 800 RPM, but sounded like it was back-firing through the carb every second power stroke, and would not idle at all. Hmmm. I pulled the valve cover, and the exhaust valve rocker fell out in my hand when I touched it. I dunno how it was running at all. Set gaps on both valves, it started on the first pull, and bingo, ran like a top. Crap, now I can't ask the missus for the flail. Zero cost in parts (except for a dab of silicone I already had), nothing but labor (and delay of the job) for cost. The Swisher (when new) cost almost as much as flails do now, so I can't just not use it. (That's actually my thinking, not hers). I bought it in 2008 thinking me and two scrapping teen age boys would get the property under control. 15 years later, I had the first major mechanical issue with the mower, which actually turned out to be pretty minor. One of those general maintenance things I never thought about on a 'lawn mower'. This is NOT a lawn mower. Lawn destroyer maybe, mower definitely not.

So what did I do on the Kubota? Carried the Swisher a couple hundred feet back to the shed 'cause I sure as heck wasn't pushing that heavy bugger all the way back to the tool box. I think letting the Kubota watch while I worked on the Swisher may have let the Swisher know its days are numbered. (Or perhaps the days I can use it are.)
You have a great writing style there Old Paint! Thanks for taking me along on your adventure!
Bill

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You have a great writing style there Old Paint! Thanks for taking me along on your adventure!
Bill
Well, might as well make light of trouble and have a little fun with it. There was a time I was unfit for human contact when something like this happened. The missus changed that, considerably. She's my rock steady influence.

"Slingblade" is perhaps one of my all-time favorite movies, right up there with "Forrest Gump" and "The Waterboy". I do a fairly decent Carl Childers imitation when I'm working on something with a small engine, and the missus usually just walks away shaking her head. I just wish Billy Bob Thorton and Tom Hanks would collaborate on a movie with both Carl and Forrest in it.

• Haha